Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pilot who dropped A bomb died.

Default Re: pilot who dropped A bomb died.

Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    Am not too sure about this, many historians, and my own history teacher at school told me that at the time Japan was already on the losing end.....

Russia was also working on the bomb, and this could have been also to signal Russia that the US was not afraid to use the bomb.....

Anyway, in a war actually everyone is losing, cause you are still killing.

I have always asked this myself: from all the targets why must you drop this bomb with this power onto a city with innocent people? Why not on an army target, or a harbour? Or drop into the sea in front of Tokyo as a warning to show the power?.......

The americans have a famous saying for civilians killed during war: 'causalties'.....(forgot the exact wording), I don't think this was 'casualties' as it was well known you would kill innocent civilians......

Hong Sien
    Hiroshima was a military target and it was home not only to Civilians but 2 major Land Battalions and many Military Heavy Arms Factory.

As for the saying, the word is 'collateral damage'. Its like.... playing Starcraft and u utilise Seige Tanks on the Confederate side, ur infantry's fighting Zerg Bugs and u decided to use Seige Tank to clear the area. 1 hit, Zerg die, ur Men die too.

Well, but anyway, its war and the consequences are expected. If a country's politicians decided to drag the whole country to war, both Soldiers AND Civilians will suffer. There's no such thing exactly as a 'fair game' or 'fair target' in reality.

As for dropping the A-Bomb into the sea, well, no one at that time would know what happen (except for an ubber large explosion) thus US simply singled out a single city to show what 1 single bomb can do to a city - flatten it in 3secs without needing to do Carpet Fire Bombing.

Of cos, supposedly even their own Allied POWs held in Hiroshima & Nagasaki were vapourised unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    Well, if US did not use the atomic bombs, the final assault would be on Japan and the projected casualties was more than 1,000,000. I guess the bombs were a lesser of both evil. Besides, the Russian were massing huge number of troops also in anticipation of a landing on Japanese soil and should that happened, we could see a politically divided Japan like Germany after the war and the americans didn't want to see this happen.
    Given the ferocity of battle on Iwo Jima and Okinawa (where 1/3rd of the Civilian population was wiped out and supposedly there are almost no military officers captured alive), imagine what would happen if US were to land their ships on Kyushu....

It would be like Gulf War II, 1945 version, with heavier Civilian AND Military casualties...

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Hiroshima was a military target and it was home not only to Civilians but 2 major Land Battalions and many Military Heavy Arms Factory.

As for the saying, the word is 'collateral damage'. Its like.... playing Starcraft and u utilise Seige Tanks on the Confederate side, ur infantry's fighting Zerg Bugs and u decided to use Seige Tank to clear the area. 1 hit, Zerg die, ur Men die too.

Well, but anyway, its war and the consequences are expected. If a country's politicians decided to drag the whole country to war, both Soldiers AND Civilians will suffer. There's no such thing exactly as a 'fair game' or 'fair target' in reality.

As for dropping the A-Bomb into the sea, well, no one at that time would know what happen (except for an ubber large explosion) thus US simply singled out a single city to show what 1 single bomb can do to a city - flatten it in 3secs without needing to do Carpet Fire Bombing.

Of cos, supposedly even their own Allied POWs held in Hiroshima & Nagasaki were vapourised unfortunately.
    last i read, no POWs were held in Hiroshima, that's why it was the prime target.

add: ok just found sources saying there were some ... saw the video at the memorial exhibition before, the allies probably assumed that there were none
    Last edited by eikin; 3rd November 2007 at 05:52 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12