Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommendation for bicycle?

Default Re: Recommendation for bicycle?

Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    carrefour only carries Aleoca. i don't find this brand interesting.

you'd be surprised at the range some neighbourhood shops carry. since there's a wide range of models, price also ranges from cheap to expensive.

the shop at Tanglin carries mostly expensive brands.

you can try the shop at Bukit Timah too... not sure if it's called Tan Cycles. check them out... they have a lot of stuff there.
    yup I seen most of them are Aleoca, not sure good or not, but as least better than giant hypermart selection.
    Quote Originally Posted by mohgui View Post
    btw, you don't have to build your ride from scratch. can always buy a complete set and then change the parts (at your fancy) for better ones. this will save you time and headache.
    But that may create some wastage, also not easy to resell parts like camera, once settle the bike most likely won't upgrade the parts again.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Don't bother with aloeca, they are badly made and the components won't last you. Worst still if you buy from carrefour or major supermarkets because you'll have trouble finding after-sales support. I have also seen for myself how badly assembled the bike parts are, with some parts fitted on incorrectly.

Getting your bike from your local bike store will render you much better services, and if you intend to ride long term chances are there'll be at least some maintainence to do, and getting to know your local bike store owner is a great way to learn about bikes and making sure you don't get cheated.
    Canon EOS 66 | Kit Lens | Leung Sheung Wing Chun Singapore

I suggest just get a market bike and be happy. Why not go to giant (not the supermarket) but the bicycle store at tamp to take a look or soon huat at kembangan?

Sorry but i live in the east so all the bikes store i know is in the east... =P
    1stJournal - Painting your life journals since 2008
    Email / Facebook / Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by peapilot View Post
    Give the shop owner a call, he'll be able to help you out. That bike on the front page wasn't what I was recommending.
    Will look into the webpage again.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    But that may create some wastage, also not easy to resell parts like camera, once settle the bike most likely won't upgrade the parts again.
    i think they allow you to change the existing parts for better ones and you top up the difference lar.

hey, if you are looking to cycle to work or cycle along the road for leisure etc

I recommend a road bike. advantages of a road bike over mountain bike on flat normal terrain in SG is that road bike is much lighter and much faster. if you are using it as a transport, all the more you should get a road bike cause it goes much faster (on road that is).

I assume you are not looking at cycling as a sport you might want to compete in but just to chill out and have a good ride or for transportation purposes.

For an decent entry level road bike, prepare to spend about 800-900 bucks. And get yourself a helmet and lights, good helmets such as LAS brand will cost around 100 or you can get a cheaper one for about 30. Front lights and back lights are a must! Pretty cheap, 20 bucks should settle it. You might also want to get clip on shoes, pedals, jersey and cycling tights.

Alternatively you can buy a good second hand bike at a cheap cost of say 500-800 depending on the make.

Giant, as in Giant the bicycle brand,is usually a good bargain for entry level bikes but may cost slightly more than 900
    http://togoparts.com/index.php is a really good website for buying and selling bicycles in Singapore. Tip is to check out rough prices over the net then go to the shop and bargain, they usually overcharge you by a bit.

If you are interested theres a sg cycling forum, http://www.sgcycling.org/ where you can get more info and maybe buy a second hand bike. Just ring up the shop and ask if theres second hand road bike.

Feel free to PM if there are any queries.

Where do you stay, maybe you can join us for a ride in future
    Last edited by zywerkz; 2nd November 2007 at 08:19 PM.

bro zcf.... borrow your thread hope you dont mind..

I am recently looking for a bike also.. probably hybrid..or MTB with slicks.. not intending to be a hardcore rider..just the occasional recreational weekend rides at parks.. so just looking for a low-entry level bike with a budget of $300..

Have been looking through the other forums like togoparts or smbf.. but do not dare to ask there.. so seeking the help of bros here..

Have a few models in mind...
    1) Aleoca crossbreed x.5 http://www.aleoca.com/aleoca_bicycles.htm , currently at $298 at NTUC till 26th December. I understand that the general consensus about aleoca bikes is that the quality .. but any bros here with good experiences with aleoca bikes? in particular the crossbreed x.5? I know nothing about bikes but from what i see (from a laymans point-of-view), the x.5 is actually quite good-looking and the components don't look too sucky too. the derailleur is shimano tourney, same as the ones used in other bikes in this price range. It is significantly lighter than the other mtbs too, and at $298 for a hybrid bike, it is quite attractive. The only thing holding me back is aleoca's reputation..

2)Hasa Comp 1.0. This bike goes for about $250 in the hougang bike shops i checked. Comes with those fat mtb tyres, so I would have to spend some more to change to slicks. I figure it will come up to be the same price as the aleoca crossbreed x.5, so any recommendations from the bros here which one should i go for? IIRC, the derailleur and shifter is the same as the aleoca's.

3)If i stretch my budget for another $100, I can probably get a Giant bike, so would the entry level Giant bike be significantly better than the aleoca x.5 or hasa comp 1.0?

Bearing in mind my limited budget of $300, any other bicycle shops that I can go to with a good selection of entry level bikes? So far I have checked out 4 shops, KHS and Thiong Hin in Hougang, and Chapter 2 cycle and the block 316 shop in AMK. The first 3 shop stocks very little (or none) low-entry level bikes. I stay in hougang.

Thanx in advance bros!!!

Anyone cycle here? Too poor to take Public Transport nowaday
    Looking to cycling as exercise during the weekend, but know nothing much about brand or technology in bicycle.
    Budgeted around $400~500. IS it possible to get a light weight road bicycle at that price? What is the in thing now? Aluminium, alloy? Can't afford Carbon fire.
    Are those suspension really useful or not, it seem to add quite some weight to the bicycle. p
    Have been using the bicycle as the mode of transport for a couple of years (more healthier for the heart and lungs) and saving about $1,500 every two years. Cost me about $70 to a $100 or more a month depending on my travelling needs using just the MRT.

So having a budget of $700 to $1500 for a good strong comfortable bike is important if you are planning to ride it often.

You prefer a decently good bike with slim tire which left you with two choice:

1. Choose a MTB (hardtail) aluminium frame with slim tire
    with average components.

2. Choose a road bike with a decent smooth joint welded frame with average components.

If you choose the higher end components the cost of either of these bikes will be above the above budget.

Look at the range available and ask the bicycle shop owner which bike frame is most dependable and better than some low end steel frame. The better frames have smooth joint in the welding technology. Not that the un-sanded welds of most bikes are not only ugly looking, some of these frames are just as look. It depends whether you want a bike that has a strong dependable and beautiful unibody appearance or one that is that is that has unfiled welds but strong too.

The range from Giant, Wheeler, Giant, Kona, Fuji, Trek and Cannondale falls into the above categogy. Often the seasoned rider would like a Trek or a Cannondale. These bikes are dependable and with a strong history in bike making but a little expensive.

Recently went around the HDB estates and absorbing the bikes shops and surprising come across one that stock the Cannondale and the Wheeler. The price now seems to be very competitive and you can get one for around 1K with average parts and less than $850 for some other models.
    Take a look before you decide, believe me, a good lighter
    bike is a joy to ride and make sure you have a good saddle and pump your tires to the pressure that will make your ride comfortable. The bike shop (HL) is in Toa Payoh Lor 4 next to the wet market. Enjoy and welcome to cycling as a healthy recreation and perhaps as a mode of transport in the near future for you.

The roadbike offers many advantages and one of them is that you can even use it for touring:
    http://www.cs.unca.edu/~boyd/touring/bike/bike.htm

Last edited by forward; 25th December 2007 at 09:55 AM.

www.togoparts.com where you live? maybe you can head to amk area, theres a shop called C2C, sells great bikes, and your budget of 600, i think can get a stock giant that can keep you happy. no need to get road bike la, unless you intend to cycle on the road and wear helmet everytime you ride. anyway decent road bikes go for 1k +.

also try to keep your bike indoors when not in use to prevent theft, thats the disadvantage of getting a good bike. pple see also hand itchy.

need more info can pm me.
    Last edited by liionel; 25th December 2007 at 11:37 PM.

Deregistered

Fisherprice?

Few months ago, I am looking for a bike and budget was about the same as TS. A bicycle shop owner recommended my the brand Wheeler.

In the end, did not get it as I decided to get a DSLR

The price was not too expensive and the specs are quite good for a $500++ bike
    Let's get rolling :)

My older brother decided to get his son and my son a bicycle. I browsed at the shop and noticed that one wheel can cost more than $2k and one frame is listed at $4.9k.

In the end, bought two Dahon geared foldable bike for easy storage Although it's a foldable bike, but seem seem quite sturdy and reasonably fast.

As my wife can't cycle very fast, so don't seem to have a point to get a really good bike to use with her. While I myself still can't wake up so early to ride the bike to work

Bro rOnGrEn, no problem. I think in the end, have a trial on the actual bike is very important to find out you like it or not.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Quote Originally Posted by SianZronG View Post
    I suggest just get a market bike and be happy. Why not go to giant (not the supermarket) but the bicycle store at tamp to take a look or soon huat at kembangan?

Sorry but i live in the east so all the bikes store i know is in the east... =P
    Giant brand bikes are solid, Alu frame, light and fast. I own one road bike, TCR 0, very nice bike. But dont have much chance to use it.

In the end, bought two Dahon geared foldable bike for easy storage Although it's a foldable bike, but seem seem quite sturdy and reasonably fast.

As my wife can't cycle very fast, so don't seem to have a point to get a really good bike to use with her. While I myself still can't wake up so early to ride the bike to work

Bro rOnGrEn, no problem. I think in the end, have a trial on the actual bike is very important to find out you like it or not.
    which dahon model and how muchie?

yup seem that forum, but need long timing to read up. Think I need more read up before I can do the purchase .
    Just beware that bicycle is also very addictive to the buy buy buy virus once you are hooked. Very similiar to camera equipments.

There is a booth in Sicex exhibiton featuring folding bikes (my friend). If you have time why not go there this coming weekend.
    http://stridasingapore.com/forum/index.php?topic=1494.0

Depend on wat u wan to use it for......
    I STRONGLY dun recommand a road bike for transport usage n for beginner due to comfort level n proper attire needed. It's more for long distance cycling, touring & racing....

MTB CAN also hit the speed of wat road bike can do with the rite setup & RIDER abilty of course . It's more easy to handle, control n able to take more abuse

For MTB the MOST important to me is the frame, sus & rims....the rest can save n upgrade later Full sus or not is up to u but hardtail is much cheaper.

BTW, togoparts is a nice parts to get 2nd-hand parts & bike at nice price.....got all my stuff there during my MTB days. Under $1K can get u a decent entry bike already so do look around
    Minolta 7D Noob
    WWW.TERRYCHUA.COM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12