Thread: What to do with a fungitized teleconverter?

Default What to do with a fungitized teleconverter?

Picked up a kenko tcon NAF-d (this is nikon af-d right?) from cash converters for 20+. I was thinking of

1) sending it for a wash. Would it cost less than $10?

2) break the glass and use it as an extension tube. It looks identical appearance wise to my kenko 25mm. I'm assuming an extension tube is a tcon w/o glass, rite?

3) Take it as a course in lens design by dismantling it and DIY a cleaning. Would not wanna do this unless necessary.

Which option should i try? In case i wanna clean it, where would be the best place and standard prices for cleaning tcons?

Try the cleaning route, if it costs too much, you can go for your other options, or give it to me. I'll do #3 for you.

Regards
    CK

OK give u first shot at it if all fails. It seems that if i can manage to unscrew the lens element off it is the same as the extension tube, so the $$ wouldn't be a waste afterall.

Originally posted by xdivider
    OK give u first shot at it if all fails. It seems that if i can manage to unscrew the lens element off it is the same as the extension tube, so the $$ wouldn't be a waste afterall.
    It will be a rather expensive extension tube.

Regards
    CK

Originally posted by ckiang
    It will be a rather expensive extension tube.

Regards
    CK
    Nah, got it for $20+ so wasn't expecting anything. My 2nd hand tube already costs 2x of that.

For me I would try to clean it, if fail, then convert it into an extension tube.
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.