Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: HDD problem!!!

  1. #1
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default HDD problem!!!

    Here I go again.

    Since yesterday my ext hdd had been quite unstable. Always connecting, disconnecting itself from my comp, finally I reinstalled the driver, and it became more stable and I could finally transfer files from my last shoot. But it's still connecting and disconnecting itself frequently.

    Then I defrag-ed and error checked my drive. Midway thru error checking, my comp stopped responding, and I switched off my drive's power (ARGH!!!).

    Stupid action... now my drive can't be read!!! Can't be opened, accessed or anything. Even the name in My Computer was reverted back to "Local Disk" rather than the given name.

    Can anyone give advice? All greatly appreciated!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Deep Deep in the sea
    Posts
    3,409

    Default Re: HDD problem!!!

    try changing a cable?

  3. #3
    Member Static's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Surfing soft porn in CS
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: HDD problem!!!

    Your HDD GG liao ??

    If me.. I will take the following noob steps

    1) Check/change cable connection to ur ext hdd

    2) Use another USB port

    3) Use file lost recovery software and recover all my files 1st

    4) Reformat/reinstall driver etc etc. Try to use and if problem persist go make noise in the
    shop
    陳綺貞 2010 [夏季練習曲] 巡迴演唱會 Cheer Concert 13 Nov 2010 MAX Pavilion@Singapore Expo

  4. #4
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: HDD problem!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    Your HDD GG liao ??

    If me.. I will take the following noob steps

    1) Check/change cable connection to ur ext hdd

    2) Use another USB port

    3) Use file lost recovery software and recover all my files 1st

    4) Reformat/reinstall driver etc etc. Try to use and if problem persist go make noise in the
    shop
    My hdd can't be read!

  5. #5
    Member Static's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Surfing soft porn in CS
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: HDD problem!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    My hdd can't be read!
    Bring ur hdd to another computer install driver and try read ?
    陳綺貞 2010 [夏季練習曲] 巡迴演唱會 Cheer Concert 13 Nov 2010 MAX Pavilion@Singapore Expo

  6. #6

    Default Re: HDD problem!!!

    if it is a 3.5" hdd, can you connect it directly to the pc and check if it can be read?

  7. #7
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: HDD problem!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    if it is a 3.5" hdd, can you connect it directly to the pc and check if it can be read?
    Mine needs its own power supply

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    820

    Default Re: HDD problem!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Mine needs its own power supply
    Try burger suggestion first ...
    除了爱, 我一无所有

  9. #9
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: HDD problem!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    Try burger suggestion first ...
    My built in ports are all fried, now using PCI

  10. #10

    Default Re: HDD problem!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    My built in ports are all fried, now using PCI


    How is your primary hdd connected, if all ports are "fried"?

    Since your external hdd requires its own power, it is most likely a 3.5".

    Assuming you you have a hdd and an optical drive in your pc, just remove the cable from the optical drive and connect it to the problematic hdd.

    If you really can't, bring it to a friend's place to test.

  11. #11
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: HDD problem!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post


    How is your primary hdd connected, if all ports are "fried"?

    Since your external hdd requires its own power, it is most likely a 3.5".

    Assuming you you have a hdd and an optical drive in your pc, just remove the cable from the optical drive and connect it to the problematic hdd.

    If you really can't, bring it to a friend's place to test.
    Let me rephrase

    Ext HDD is connected by PCI USB port, all my built in ports are spoilt.

  12. #12
    Member Static's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Surfing soft porn in CS
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: HDD problem!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Let me rephrase

    Ext HDD is connected by PCI USB port, all my built in ports are spoilt.
    Try to use other PCI slot for your USB card ?

    What burger means is that you take out ur HDD, connect it directly to your motherboard

    SATA or IDE slot (depending on ur HDD) and see if you can detect.

    Best is to test it on another PC.. No need dismantle here and there..
    陳綺貞 2010 [夏季練習曲] 巡迴演唱會 Cheer Concert 13 Nov 2010 MAX Pavilion@Singapore Expo

  13. #13

    Default Re: HDD problem!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Let me rephrase

    Ext HDD is connected by PCI USB port, all my built in ports are spoilt.
    That's why some suggested to take the harddisk out of its enclosure and plug straight into one of the IDE ports directly.

  14. #14
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: HDD problem!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    That's why some suggested to take the harddisk out of its enclosure and plug straight into one of the IDE ports directly.
    I'm worried it has something to do with me turning off the power during error checking when my comp hanged.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: HDD problem!!!

    redstone...

    remove your hdd from the casing and plug into your system (cable to mainboard, power from the PSU)

    need help let me know...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  16. #16
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: HDD problem!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    redstone...

    remove your hdd from the casing and plug into your system (cable to mainboard, power from the PSU)

    need help let me know...
    Tried just now, still say unaccessible, corrupted. Siao liao...

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Outside the Dry Box.
    Posts
    16,268

    Default Re: HDD problem!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Tried just now, still say unaccessible, corrupted. Siao liao...
    think you got a corupted partition header. try using partition magic to fix it.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

  18. #18
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: HDD problem!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    think you got a corupted partition header. try using partition magic to fix it.
    Nothing can access it. Not even disk cleanup

  19. #19
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: HDD problem!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    think you got a corupted partition header. try using partition magic to fix it.
    Which operation to perform now?

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    820

    Default Re: HDD problem!!!

    Try this if it is the partition table corruption.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •