Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 81 to 100 of 100

Thread: trishaw ah pek bullied - now on UK's Daily Mail!

  1. #81

    Default Re: trishaw ah pek bullied - now on UK's Daily Mail!

    I'm not sure I like what the reply form the British High Commission implies, or avoids, but here are some interesting cross-discussions and perspectives in a UK forum with Singaporean participation:

    http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=231885

  2. #82

    Default Re: trishaw ah pek bullied - now on UK's Daily Mail!

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post

    Anyway, I take this is as an action done by youngsters influenched by a common behaviour when people are in a group (hooligans), when they are alone, it is less likely they would pull up a stunt like this.....

    HS
    I agree on that point.

    Anyway checking out the link to the uk news site, wow theres now 23 comments and the three blokes are being slammed by their own fellow english men.

    I think this issue has to be taken subjectively as three young men and not three white men. Also the issue is over already, time to let it rest and forgive the three dudes. No point of all the an eye for an eye, people do deserve a second chance from their mistakes.

  3. #83

    Default Re: trishaw ah pek bullied - now on UK's Daily Mail!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    I'm not sure I like what the reply form the British High Commission implies, or avoids, but here are some interesting cross-discussions and perspectives in a UK forum with Singaporean participation:

    http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/showthread.php?t=231885
    they're being diplomatic, what you expect?

    "Dear xyz we are thoroughly disgusted by the way our citizens acted. IF you want we could have them strung up outside our gates as a warning to all Brits to behave when overseas."

  4. #84

    Default Re: trishaw ah pek bullied - now on UK's Daily Mail!

    That would be a sight to behold, if ever! LOL!

  5. #85

    Default Re: trishaw ah pek bullied - now on UK's Daily Mail!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    That would be a sight to behold, if ever! LOL!
    not gonna happen unless we backtrack to the middle ages...

  6. #86

    Default Re: trishaw ah pek bullied - now on UK's Daily Mail!

    Oh bloomn 'ell, we wouldn't want THAT 'appenin now would we, guv?

  7. #87

    Default Re: trishaw ah pek bullied - now on UK's Daily Mail!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Oh bloomn 'ell, we wouldn't want THAT 'appenin now would we, guv?
    and what are you trying to say with the bad corkney accent?

  8. #88

    Default Re: trishaw ah pek bullied - now on UK's Daily Mail!

    Absolutly nuthin guv, jus tendin to ma own garden 'ats all.

    CHEERS!
    Last edited by Dream Merchant; 3rd November 2007 at 01:55 PM.

  9. #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: trishaw ah pek bullied - now on UK's Daily Mail!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Absolutly nuthin guv, jus tendin to ma own garden 'ats all.

    CHEERS!
    This isnt even the way British slang is used...

  10. #90

    Default Re: trishaw ah pek bullied - now on UK's Daily Mail!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Absolutly nuthin guv, jus tendin to ma own garden 'ats all.

    CHEERS!
    ...

  11. #91

    Default Re: trishaw ah pek bullied - now on UK's Daily Mail!

    Alamak! OK, am owned! Call it international lojak then.

    CHEERS and back to my shoot.

  12. #92

    Default Re: trishaw ah pek bullied - now on UK's Daily Mail!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Alamak! OK, am owned! Call it international lojak then.

    CHEERS and back to my shoot.
    stick to singlish la

  13. #93

    Default Re: trishaw ah pek bullied - now on UK's Daily Mail!

    Nooooo...where can restrict ourselves in modern ear?

    We must always erection ourselves to get new high and look outside the package so that we can appease to fit within and grow ourselve without all over the world in the market. Liddat oso mus know how to say the international England lah! But one thing I blur - they never say wet market or supermarket one leh.

    Alamak! See lah gao-roo, shoot one day under hot sun can do me liddat plus you say me anyhow like never see me up!

  14. #94

    Default Re: trishaw ah pek bullied - now on UK's Daily Mail!

    sad sad sad....
    so many jump on foreigners treating old folk with no respect yet locals are very slow to respond on how we each can show respect to our own old folks.

    i absolutely knew this was going to be the case

    i'm also curious about the article in the straits times about how chinese are less likely to marry out of their race...and yet the author of the article goes on to place a quote from a consultant psychiatrist where he says it is "understandable"

    read section H6 saturday nov. 3 straits times..."chinese are least open to mixed marriage"
    why? is it racism or something else...because i am always hearing even from chinese people how their parents want them to marry another chinese person. it's like that in hawaii, it's like that in the states and it's like that in singapore...so why? read the article and i'm not interested in hearing how other races are like that too...i am asking chinese why they feel the need or necessity to marry only chinese...it's an honest question.

    i really believe the brit incident was two fold, disrespect and racial. neither of which there are too many people that will acknowledge it. there is racism in singapore as in everywhere else. i experience racism almost daily. but on the side, why no one really answer the challenge on how to make an old folks day a bit easier?

    see, yes singapore has won the battle, the war goes on...what are you gonna do to show more respect for old folks?

    i really dont care if people hate me...because at the heart of every issue i bring up, it's to hopefully make people think and to let people see maybe you, I, or we can all be better and live more at peace with each other and with ourselves.

  15. #95
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: trishaw ah pek bullied - now on UK's Daily Mail!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiisg View Post
    sad sad sad....
    so many jump on foreigners treating old folk with no respect yet locals are very slow to respond on how we each can show respect to our own old folks.

    i absolutely knew this was going to be the case

    i'm also curious about the article in the straits times about how chinese are less likely to marry out of their race...and yet the author of the article goes on to place a quote from a consultant psychiatrist where he says it is "understandable"

    read section H6 saturday nov. 3 straits times..."chinese are least open to mixed marriage"
    why? is it racism or something else...because i am always hearing even from chinese people how their parents want them to marry another chinese person. it's like that in hawaii, it's like that in the states and it's like that in singapore...so why? read the article and i'm not interested in hearing how other races are like that too...i am asking chinese why they feel the need or necessity to marry only chinese...it's an honest question.

    i really believe the brit incident was two fold, disrespect and racial. neither of which there are too many people that will acknowledge it. there is racism in singapore as in everywhere else. i experience racism almost daily. but on the side, why no one really answer the challenge on how to make an old folks day a bit easier?

    see, yes singapore has won the battle, the war goes on...what are you gonna do to show more respect for old folks?

    i really dont care if people hate me...because at the heart of every issue i bring up, it's to hopefully make people think and to let people see maybe you, I, or we can all be better and live more at peace with each other and with ourselves.
    If there was NO racism in Singapore there would be no Racial Harmony campaigns every so many years here :-).......

    Anyway, we have to accept that there is racism everywhere, and it is not going away, but with understanding of other races livestyles etc we can come to a level where we can live together with respect....actually, here in Singapore it is not that bad compared to Europe now.

    However, I had a very bad incident in 1994 in Singapore: I went to visit a modern farm owned by a retired (chinese) Colonel (so he says), and it was getting dark, then a group of Indian women walked by his farm far away, and he says "the black rats are coming out".

    I don't know why he called them that, perhaps he had some unpleasant experience before, but there is no excuse to blame a whole group for the actions of a few?
    Well, I quickly left the place, and never wanted to met this guy, but I still met him again a year later in my Institute where he was trying to get some collaboration done....

    To perhaps answer your question: why chinese are the least interested into mixed marriage, perhaps it is because of the almost obsessive behaviour that we have to keep our (chinese ) names and heritage, so blame it to our old traditions.......and probably there is also some 'superiority' feeling in it perhaps for some ignorant people.

    To go further into it: you know that chinese in the past (and perhaps now still, and maybe also for other races) consider that when a woman marries, she becomes part of her husbands family? She doesn't carry her own family name anymore.....this also leads to gender discrimination at birth (look at Korea and China). People don't know that genetically, sisters and brothers carry (almost) exactly the same genetic background from their families, and it is just our (society) choice of follwing the fathers family name that created all this troubles for girls......in some societies in Sumatra people follow the mothers family name (matriarchal)

    My personal view is that people think in 'boxes': we are this and that, and others are not so they don't belong to us, we forget that we are all human beings and baiscally the same (ok, apart from gender lah!)......

    When I look back into the past, the first chinese Foreign Talents people who came here in the 19th century to work (almost like slaves) couldn't find chinese brides, so they married into the locals (Malay)......more intermarriage then!

    Hong Sien

  16. #96
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: trishaw ah pek bullied - now on UK's Daily Mail!

    To add to this: some people (actually quite a lot when I think about it) blame the wife, if they can not get a son! But biologically, it is the man's sperm type that
    makes the baby be a girl or boy! How sad! :-)

    HS

  17. #97

    Default Re: trishaw ah pek bullied - now on UK's Daily Mail!

    Quote Originally Posted by hongsien View Post
    If there was NO racism in Singapore there would be no Racial Harmony campaigns every so many years here :-).......

    Anyway, we have to accept that there is racism everywhere, and it is not going away, but with understanding of other races livestyles etc we can come to a level where we can live together with respect....actually, here in Singapore it is not that bad compared to Europe now.

    However, I had a very bad incident in 1994 in Singapore: I went to visit a modern farm owned by a retired (chinese) Colonel (so he says), and it was getting dark, then a group of Indian women walked by his farm far away, and he says "the black rats are coming out".

    I don't know why he called them that, perhaps he had some unpleasant experience before, but there is no excuse to blame a whole group for the actions of a few?
    Well, I quickly left the place, and never wanted to met this guy, but I still met him again a year later in my Institute where he was trying to get some collaboration done....

    To perhaps answer your question: why chinese are the least interested into mixed marriage, perhaps it is because of the almost obsessive behaviour that we have to keep our (chinese ) names and heritage, so blame it to our old traditions.......and probably there is also some 'superiority' feeling in it perhaps for some ignorant people.

    To go further into it: you know that chinese in the past (and perhaps now still, and maybe also for other races) consider that when a woman marries, she becomes part of her husbands family? She doesn't carry her own family name anymore.....this also leads to gender discrimination at birth (look at Korea and China). People don't know that genetically, sisters and brothers carry (almost) exactly the same genetic background from their families, and it is just our (society) choice of follwing the fathers family name that created all this troubles for girls......in some societies in Sumatra people follow the mothers family name (matriarchal)

    My personal view is that people think in 'boxes': we are this and that, and others are not so they don't belong to us, we forget that we are all human beings and baiscally the same (ok, apart from gender lah!)......

    When I look back into the past, the first chinese Foreign Talents people who came here in the 19th century to work (almost like slaves) couldn't find chinese brides, so they married into the locals (Malay)......more intermarriage then!

    Hong Sien


    nice, interesting...thanks for giving some insight.

    i guess i'm wondering that if you cannot or prefer not to let another race into your family, then how can you let them into your heart? and if you truly cannot or prefer not to let them into your heart, then you are in all honesty keeping distant from them. and if you are keeping distant from them it means you only like a person from another race up to a certain point (not saying you personally). this ultimtely means perhaps you do have reservations towards other races and essentially yes, racially biased or a certain degree of racism. i mean if you have to gear yourself to marry the same race, then naturally who you associate with or bond with will be effected.

    this is why i found the article so interesting about chinese being the least likely to marry outside of race because it isn't just in singapore, it's like that almost half a world away even in hawaii...and what i found more interesting was the the psychiatrist or whoever it was saying that "it is understood." so what is understood...i mean is he saying that in general chinese people do not like other races or other races are welcome but only to a point?

    because even myself, i notice a definite wall when i associate with chinese here and even back home. i feel it to the core, this uneasiness and i strongly feel it is because of race. granted perhaps i am doing something to make a person feel uneasy too...but from childhood to adulthood...i don't think so. and now with this article in the paper, it makes sense. chinese are the least likely to marry outside of race therefore perhaps have reservations or limitations in their relationships with other races...true?


    i'm not saying anyone is racist, don't get me wrong...back home chinese were not really a minority, but chinese were less in numbers than japanese and filipinos and i had the same feelings with their reservations...i thought it was because of their smaller numbers. however in singapore, chinese have larger numbers than other races, so it cannot be be because of small numbers... so again, i'm curious about this...why are other races seemingly liked only up to a certain point as the straits times described which basically said you can be my doctor my lawyer but not my son-in-law.


    anyway thank you hongsien, this isn't easy for me to ask but i am curious and again i thank you for answering in great passion and ettiquette...i appreciate you understanding that i am not looking for an arguement and am going off of personal experiences growing up and into adulthood and what the straits times printed.

    is it really because of tradition?

    anyways, if no one answers that's fine, i know it's a tough topic...it's tough to ask, so it must be also tough to answer... i figured there are great minds in this forum that are open to sharing more than just girls in bikinis

    hope everyone's weekend went well
    thanks again hongsien

  18. #98

    Default Re: trishaw ah pek bullied - now on UK's Daily Mail!

    Hmmm to clear the myth that Chinese are racist and do not want to marry out of their own race. Nothing to do with racism.. its more to do with that the concept of Chinese having to look after the elderly and the notion that other races namely the whites do not look after their elderly. Not saying that it is true but most Chinese folks feel that if their children marry out of the Chinese community, they will lose their children as there is no one left to look after them as their children will now adopt western values that condone not lookng after one's parents in old age. Once again I must state western values that are percieved but not real in all cases.

    The case here is about 3 lads and I think it should not degenerate into a chinese bashing thread. Please dont try to condone the callous act of 3 british guys and change the topic into Chinese are racist.

    If you want to talk about forbidden intermarriages, I have first hand experiences of friends who are of mixed marriages, Turkish and Scottish to name one who are called names in school in Australia by "pure" white kids for being a "half breed". So even some whites believe that whites should marry only whites... however we shall not go into that shall we....

  19. #99
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near the Equator
    Posts
    1,255

    Default Re: trishaw ah pek bullied - now on UK's Daily Mail!

    Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    Hmmm to clear the myth that Chinese are racist and do not want to marry out of their own race. Nothing to do with racism.. its more to do with that the concept of Chinese having to look after the elderly and the notion that other races namely the whites do not look after their elderly. Not saying that it is true but most Chinese folks feel that if their children marry out of the Chinese community, they will lose their children as there is no one left to look after them as their children will now adopt western values that condone not lookng after one's parents in old age. Once again I must state western values that are percieved but not real in all cases.

    The case here is about 3 lads and I think it should not degenerate into a chinese bashing thread. Please dont try to condone the callous act of 3 british guys and change the topic into Chinese are racist.

    If you want to talk about forbidden intermarriages, I have first hand experiences of friends who are of mixed marriages, Turkish and Scottish to name one who are called names in school in Australia by "pure" white kids for being a "half breed". So even some whites believe that whites should marry only whites... however we shall not go into that shall we....
    You know what's the funny thing, our Asian elderly have to slog their asses off while I see the elderly Down Under having a better family life.

    Asian Values is just a myth. What counts is upbringing, regardless of culture or race.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

  20. #100

    Default Re: trishaw ah pek bullied - now on UK's Daily Mail!

    I saw this trishaw rider at Clarke quay tonight!
    i didnt have time for a ride but now i no where he is i will give him some more buisness.
    i saw him just outside audiohouse and starbucks jst round the corner of Ministry of Sound!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •