Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why don't you buy "grey" DSLR or lenses

Default Why don't you buy "grey" DSLR or lenses

The reason for buying "GREY" photograpic equipment (DSLR, Lenses, Flashgun etc) is rather obvious. The price is lower, and at times quite significant.
    But what are the reasons that steer fellow CSers away from buying "GREY" sets? Just kind of curious.
    Anybody wants to share their reasonings here ? Do bear in mind that everybody choice to buy or not to buy "GREY". So there is no right or wrong here.
    Last edited by NE clicks clicks; 1st November 2007 at 10:21 AM.

Default Re: Why don't you buy "grey" DSLR or lenses

Apart from Warranty Issue, I cannot see any reasons.

But then again, 2nd hand lenses doesn't normally have warranty anyways.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

one question, if the grey lense has back/front focusing issues, who should i look for? canon or the shop?

Manufacturer's Service Centre.
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by NE clicks clicks View Post
    The reason for buying "GREY" photograpic equipment (DSLR, Lenses, Flashgun etc) is rather obvious. The price is lower, and at times quite significant.
    But what are the reasons that steer fellow CSers away from buying "GREY" sets? Just kind of curious.
    Anybody wants to share their reasonings here ? Do bear in mind that everybody choice to buy or not to buy "GREY". So there is no right or wrong here.
    Depends on how much cheaper the grey set is. If it's a whole lot cheaper, then why not. For example, the Sigma 24/1.8 I'm usong is grey. Unfortunately, there is front focus issue with it. I could have brought down to the shop but I was pressed for time, so I went down to Sigma and paid them to do the cal on the spot.

Bearing in mind that you may hsve to pay for the services rendered as there is no warranty. Unless the shop give shop warranty like TCW.
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

i will buy a grey product if its significantly cheaper than local sets. by which i mean the price different needs to be at least 30% lower than street price. If not, i will stick with local sets.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Depends on how much cheaper the grey set is. If it's a whole lot cheaper, then why not. For example, the Sigma 24/1.8 I'm usong is grey. Unfortunately, there is front focus issue with it. I could have brought down to the shop but I was pressed for time, so I went down to Sigma and paid them to do the cal on the spot.
    how much would a calibration cost? just wondering if it's enough to offset the savings on a grey set

Quote Originally Posted by ptwong View Post
    how much would a calibration cost? just wondering if it's enough to offset the savings on a grey set
    I paid about $70 for the calibration because it was a prime. Zoom might cost more. Still it's cheaper plus the salesperson was kind enough to reimburse the calibration charge after knowing about it.

Camera manufacturers have been known to issue recalls about CCD problems, etc. And it does happen fairly often. Out of warranty replacement of such parts can be really expensive. Digital equipment these days aren't really made to last, IMHO, and the likelihood of something breaking down or malfunctioning within the first year is quite high.

The risk is a bit too high for me to take. The extra money I'm paying, I feel that I'm paying for a piece of mind. (But hey, money talks. If it's 30+% cheaper than local retail, then I would definitely seriously consider)
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

I bought one of my Nikon trinity lenses from Orient Photo. This lens cost more than $2K, and is a gray set. However, it comes with 1 year store warranty. It saved me $450. It has been 4 months and no problem so far (touch wood).
    Last edited by photobum; 1st November 2007 at 04:57 PM.

Why do people buy insurance?

Why are there no cameras insurance for consumers here in Singapore?
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    Why are there no cameras insurance for consumers here in Singapore?

There are travel insurances that cover damages to photographic equipment. I am currently a policy by AXA.

If there are more establish photography equipment servicing center or shop available then I think this trend will change...just like car....they are more and more people buying parallel import because spare parts and car servicing is no longer the main worry now

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    If there are more establish photography equipment servicing center or shop available then I think this trend will change...just like car....they are more and more people buying parallel import because spare parts and car servicing is no longer the main worry now
    Camera Hospital is one such 'established' business. I go to Steven (the owner) if I have camera body or lens problems.

Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    There are travel insurances that cover damages to photographic equipment. I am currently a policy by AXA.
    Do they have Cap? Say max 500 or 1k per camera set?
    APAD | Blog

Do they have Cap? Say max 500 or 1k per camera set?
    Yes... $2,000 per professional camera and $1,000 per lens.

Emm, you got that thru your company or as a consumer individual?
    APAD | Blog

Emm, you got that thru your company or as a consumer individual?
    Through my company as I travel very often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast