Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 97

Thread: driving on autopilot?

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: driving on autopilot?

    Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    aiya....

    what do you think I post this thread? I am concerned whether this is dangerous or not or is it normal for most drivers driving on traffic free roads?

    I worry about my own safety and that means I also worry about other people.

    Although nothing has happened, no near accident, nothing, people cut into my lane I also can react but I am concerned that my mind is wondering off thinking about other things.

    Point taken, I will try to keep my mind on the road in the future as it is the right thing to do.

    PS: are you guys drivers? cuz none of you seems to understand what I am talking about.
    Although I don't really drive in Singapore now, I would say it happened sometime, the mind drifted away a bit but still semi-consciously driving and aware of other car driving pass or stop or brake light is on. This happen when there is a long drive especially (like long straight high/motor way). It's like losing some concentration, I won't say it's dangerous driving, but I think the reaction time will definitely slower than while concentrating driving (in city, junction, red light, school zone etc.
    Last edited by zcf; 31st October 2007 at 04:23 PM.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  2. #22

    Default Re: driving on autopilot?

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    it's called ''unconscious driving'' phenomenon. there have been records of such instances, but no real conclusions about it as far as i've heard.
    you are a lifesaver

    I did a google search for "unconscious driving" and I find it is not as life threatening as all these people makes out to be....

    you guys should go and read up. It seems that the mind is actually conscious and able to react but it is that the memory is not stored just because there wasn't a need to remember the drive....

    Almost had me REALLY worried. wanted to go and see a doctor or something already... I thought that I was on the brink of a disaster or something.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: driving on autopilot?

    Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post

    I thought that I was on the brink of a disaster or something.
    Famous last words

  4. #24

    Default Re: driving on autopilot?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    I am just responding to your statement.

    ya, and from that statement, you should have concluded that I probably think there is a possibility that it is dangerous and thus this thread.

  5. #25

    Default Re: driving on autopilot?

    Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    Famous last words
    Indeed when you actually kill someone i will direct the authorities to this place so they have unquestionable evidence to put your head on a pike.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Off the shoulder of Orion, near the Tannhauser gate
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: driving on autopilot?

    Jeez, why dont you all just get out your torches and pitchforks while you are at it?

    Although it is not conclusive, there is such a thing as unconscious driving phenomenon - http://www.susanblackmore.co.uk/Conf...son%202006.htm . According to the article, it happens to "mostly to experienced drivers on familiar routes". I believe this is the case with wind30, as he describes it.

    At the risk of getting condemned by overzealous members of the CS community as well, yes, it happens to me too, on familiar routes, especially when I am on the phone (handsfree set, of course) or having a serious conversation with my passenger.

    Its normal. It happens.

  7. #27

    Default Re: driving on autopilot?

    Quote Originally Posted by RSU View Post
    Jeez, why dont you all just get out your torches and pitchforks while you are at it?

    Although it is not conclusive, there is such a thing as unconscious driving phenomenon - http://www.susanblackmore.co.uk/Conf...son%202006.htm . According to the article, it happens to "mostly to experienced drivers on familiar routes". I believe this is the case with wind30, as he describes it.

    At the risk of getting condemned by overzealous members of the CS community as well, yes, it happens to me too, on familiar routes, especially when I am on the phone (handsfree set, of course) or having a serious conversation with my passenger.

    Its normal. It happens.
    fyi it was never said that there's the phenomenon is unreal. The consequences of what could happen was what was addressed. Anyone can quote statistics and studys to justify their causes. but if TS KILLS someone on the road who's hands will be stained with blood huh?
    Last edited by garou12; 31st October 2007 at 04:27 PM.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: driving on autopilot?

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    it's called ''unconscious driving'' phenomenon. there have been records of such instances, but no real conclusions about it as far as i've heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    you are a lifesaver

    Are you sure what wind30 is experiencing is unconscious driving? Whilst you may be right, it could indeed be something completely unrelated, in which case, if wind30 does not seek medical advice due to your information and then goes on to (God forbid) harm someone with his driving, you would become an accessory to that incident.
    Last edited by wildstallion; 31st October 2007 at 04:29 PM.

  9. #29

    Default Re: driving on autopilot?

    Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    Are you sure what wind30 is experiencing is unconscious driving? Whilst you may be right, it could indeed be something completely unrelated, in which case, if wind30 does not seek medical advice due to your information and then goes on to (God forbid) harm someone with his driving, you would become an accessory to that incident.
    at least, ZCF and RSU can accompany me to the doctor to get us checked out I wonder what the doctor will stick into my brain to test....

    Now I am less concerned and I can actually read your posts for comic relief.

  10. #30

    Default Re: driving on autopilot?

    Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    at least, ZCF and RSU can accompany me to the doctor to get us checked out I wonder what the doctor will stick into my brain to test....

    Now I am less concerned and I can actually read your posts for comic relief.
    I dare you to post your plate number then since you're so confident that you're in no danger to anyone. Same to ZCF and RSU.

  11. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: driving on autopilot?

    Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    Are you sure what wind30 is experiencing is unconscious driving? Whilst you may be right, it could indeed be something completely unrelated, in which case, if wind30 does not seek medical advice due to your information and then goes on to (God forbid) harm someone with his driving, you would become an accessory to that incident.
    you're crazy. whether wind30 seeks medical advice or not, none of my business. whether wind30 gets into an accident or not, none of my business either. i'm just telling you all what i've read about. kopitiam is becoming more and more nonsensical with you people flooding this place with such postings.

  12. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: driving on autopilot?

    Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    at least, ZCF and RSU can accompany me to the doctor to get us checked out I wonder what the doctor will stick into my brain to test....

    Now I am less concerned and I can actually read your posts for comic relief.
    If you think harming innocent people is funny

  13. #33

    Default Re: driving on autopilot?

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    you're crazy. whether wind30 seeks medical advice or not, none of my business. whether wind30 gets into an accident or not, none of my business either. i'm just telling you all what i've read about. kopitiam is becoming more and more nonsensical with you people flooding this place with such postings.
    no what you've done is exactly like giving a drunk the keys to the car. You're just as liable because you're putting the figurative gun in his hand by making him think that he's safe.

  14. #34
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: driving on autopilot?

    Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    I dare you to post your plate number then since you're so confident that you're in no danger to anyone. Same to ZCF and RSU.
    who are you to ask for someone else's car plate number in this forum?

  15. #35

    Default Re: driving on autopilot?

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    who are you to ask for someone else's car plate number in this forum?
    A concerned citizen. Just like who are you to tell someone that he's safe to get behind the wheel when he's not.

  16. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: driving on autopilot?

    Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    A concerned citizen. Just like who are you to tell someone that he's safe to get behind the wheel when he's not.
    did i say that he is safe on his wheels?

    i believe you've got better things to do than flooding this forum with your mindless and sarcastic comments.

  17. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: driving on autopilot?

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    did i say that he is safe on his wheels?
    It was definitely implied

  18. #38

    Default Re: driving on autopilot?

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    did i say that he is safe on his wheels?
    No but you've given him infomation that leads him to conclude that he is. And that makes you just as liable as he is.

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    東京 Tokyo
    Posts
    10,193

    Default Re: driving on autopilot?

    Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    It was definitely implied
    really? i think you're a trouble maker in this forum.

  20. #40

    Default Re: driving on autopilot?

    Quote Originally Posted by eikin View Post
    did i say that he is safe on his wheels?

    i believe you've got better things to do than flooding this forum with your mindless and sarcastic comments.
    Just like you do whenever you come and attack someone who dares to disagree with you? Or when you insult someone who maintains his stance and refuse to carry on the debate?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •