Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Help!

  1. #1

    Default Help!

    Hello,

    Newbie here and also very new to photography.

    Need some advice on what camera i should get. Currently i'm eyeing for Canon 400D. Went to shops and did some test shots. I love it!!

    But i'm still undecided because i still haven't tried out any Nikons. A friend recommended Nikon 40x.

    Basically, i do food photo shoots. I use Macro most of the time. I do travel too, so there will be scenery shots, and i love night shots as well. For now, i'm using a very old Olympus model which isn't a SLR. To achieve a nice photo for my food shots, i needed to go to my balcony to rely on the natural light for shooting. If i were to do it indoor, it's not so nice. So hopefully with my new D-SLR i can do my shooting indoor and not rely on the natural light so much.

    Budget : within 2k, and hopefully under 1.5k. My old olympus actually costs me $1.7k 5 years ago.

    Some of shop assistants told me to just get a Canon G9 or a Panasonic FZ18 because i'm really a newbie.

    The main reason why i wanted a D-SLR is because i love the quality they produce, and i really don't wish to upgrade my camera in 1-2 years time (if i really did get a Canon G9 or FZ18) when i wish to proceed to the higher level of photography.

    I enjoy doing taking photos tremendously and wish to invest in a good camera which will last me another couple of years..

    Thanks!

    p.s : one silly question, can DSLR be brought into the water for underwater shots?
    Last edited by maameemoomoo; 31st October 2007 at 11:27 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by maameemoomoo View Post
    Hello,

    Budget : within 2k, and hopefully under 1.5k. My old olympus actually costs me $1.7k 5 years ago.

    p.s : one silly question, can DSLR be brought into the water for underwater shots?
    Hi,
    welcome to CS. I too am a newbie started off with my first SLR abt 6 months back and still learning.. Tot I'm not into marco and underwater, I did read that there are underwater housings for DSLR, Maybe u can do a lil search ard here. All I know is underwater housing generally are very expensive , most of the time, more expensive then the cheaper DSLR itself .
    Hope u enjoy your stay.
    D300|MB-D10|17-55 f/2.8G|VR 70-200 f/2.8G|VR 18-200 f/3.5-5.6G|50 f/1.4D|105 VR f/2.8G|SB-800

  3. #3
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by maameemoomoo View Post
    Hello,

    Newbie here and also very new to photography.

    Need some advice on what camera i should get. Currently i'm eyeing for Canon 400D. Went to shops and did some test shots. I love it!!

    But i'm still undecided because i still haven't tried out any Nikons. A friend recommended Nikon 40x.

    Basically, i do food photo shoots. I use Macro most of the time. I do travel too, so there will be scenery shots, and i love night shots as well. For now, i'm using a very old Olympus model which isn't a SLR. To achieve a nice photo for my food shots, i needed to go to my balcony to rely on the natural light for shooting. If i were to do it indoor, it's not so nice. So hopefully with my new D-SLR i can do my shooting indoor and not rely on the natural light so much.

    Budget : within 2k, and hopefully under 1.5k. My old olympus actually costs me $1.7k 5 years ago.

    Some of shop assistants told me to just get a Canon G9 or a Panasonic FZ18 because i'm really a newbie.

    The main reason why i wanted a D-SLR is because i love the quality they produce, and i really don't wish to upgrade my camera in 1-2 years time (if i really did get a Canon G9 or FZ18) when i wish to proceed to the higher level of photography.

    I enjoy doing taking photos tremendously and wish to invest in a good camera which will last me another couple of years..

    Thanks!

    p.s : one silly question, can DSLR be brought into the water for underwater shots?
    Since you have handled the camera already, I'd suggest you do the same with the rest of the models of camera suggested to you. You may like thm or hate them. So we can't tell you which is BEST.

    Do remember though that with macro, you would do better off with a dedicated macro lens. And on the D40(X) side, as it does not have a focusing motor on the camera body, you would have to either manually focus or use a more expensive macro lens (105mm VR)

    As for underwater casing, they are manufactured only for certain models of DSLR cameras and are very expensive. And you'd need strobe lighting or another cover for the flashes to be used underwater. Read more about this.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    589

    Default Re: Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by maameemoomoo View Post
    Hello,

    Newbie here and also very new to photography.

    Need some advice on what camera i should get. Currently i'm eyeing for Canon 400D. Went to shops and did some test shots. I love it!!

    But i'm still undecided because i still haven't tried out any Nikons. A friend recommended Nikon 40x.

    Basically, i do food photo shoots. I use Macro most of the time. I do travel too, so there will be scenery shots, and i love night shots as well. For now, i'm using a very old Olympus model which isn't a SLR. To achieve a nice photo for my food shots, i needed to go to my balcony to rely on the natural light for shooting. If i were to do it indoor, it's not so nice. So hopefully with my new D-SLR i can do my shooting indoor and not rely on the natural light so much.

    Budget : within 2k, and hopefully under 1.5k. My old olympus actually costs me $1.7k 5 years ago.

    Some of shop assistants told me to just get a Canon G9 or a Panasonic FZ18 because i'm really a newbie.

    The main reason why i wanted a D-SLR is because i love the quality they produce, and i really don't wish to upgrade my camera in 1-2 years time (if i really did get a Canon G9 or FZ18) when i wish to proceed to the higher level of photography.

    I enjoy doing taking photos tremendously and wish to invest in a good camera which will last me another couple of years..

    Thanks!

    p.s : one silly question, can DSLR be brought into the water for underwater shots?
    For dslr to take good macro, you'll need a macro lense. Average price of a macro lense is from 750-900. 2nd hand about 500? As for ability to shoot indoor, dun expect miracles. You still need a decent light source for good exposure. Try touchlights. Please factor other costs into your budget like drybox, camera bag etc.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Since you have handled the camera already, I'd suggest you do the same with the rest of the models of camera suggested to you. You may like thm or hate them. So we can't tell you which is BEST.

    Do remember though that with macro, you would do better off with a dedicated macro lens. And on the D40(X) side, as it does not have a focusing motor on the camera body, you would have to either manually focus or use a more expensive macro lens (105mm VR)

    As for underwater casing, they are manufactured only for certain models of DSLR cameras and are very expensive. And you'd need strobe lighting or another cover for the flashes to be used underwater. Read more about this.
    I have gone a few places to check the mentioned cameras. Funny but all the sales person picked Canon 400D when i asked them to choose between the cameras.

    For macro shots, i think i am pretty contented with the shots i did tested. No need for an additional lense. Got budget here :P

    Focusing motor? What's that? Something that helps us to focus better once we zoom into the object?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Help!

    TD, thank you for the warm welcome and reply

    ptwong : touch lights? Hmmm... sorry, i'm very new to all these. What's that?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    589

    Default Re: Help!

    sorry i meant torchlights. Typo

  8. #8

    Default Re: Help!

    Kekekekke.. but really????

    Shine torchlight? That helps for indoor shoots?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    589

    Default Re: Help!

    sure why not? you can even use table lamp. The main problem would be the colour cast so you have to check the WB.

  10. #10
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by maameemoomoo View Post
    I have gone a few places to check the mentioned cameras. Funny but all the sales person picked Canon 400D when i asked them to choose between the cameras.

    For macro shots, i think i am pretty contented with the shots i did tested. No need for an additional lense. Got budget here :P

    Focusing motor? What's that? Something that helps us to focus better once we zoom into the object?
    It's a matter of sales tactics, they want to push the Canon more and sometimes it's because the Nikon D40's are selling pretty fast already, they dun need to push much.

    Focusing motors either exist in the camera (in most of the cameras) or in the lenses (AF-S for the Nikon ones) For the D40, due to the fact that they wanted to create a light and cheap camera, they decided to leave out the focusing motor in the camera and utilise the AF-S lenses to provide the motor for focusing, this has reduced the weight and cost. But with this move, they also made it such that those lenses without focusing motors unable to AF with these cameras.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  11. #11

    Default Re: Help!

    Thanks guys.. appreciate your replies

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •