Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what to get for a budget of $1000

Default Re: what to get for a budget of $1000

Set aside $150 for a dry cabinet. Its important to put in proper storage from day one.

i believe the D40 is a good camera (all modern cameras are good) although i ve never played w one.

however, will u be able to resist the urge to "upgrade" in the near future?

if this is the case, then its advisable to get 2nd hand (u will lose less). or how about getting a "better" model so the urge of "upgrading" can be delayed?

wat i mentioned are just scenarios that u are likely to face.

hi, I am in the same situation like you. You can try the Pentax K100D.

Got it for $860 with a kit lens about 6 months ago from OP.

It is shop warranty but so far I am very happy with it as it does not give me any problem.

With the remaining money, you can get a bag for your camera too.
    Let's get rolling :)

1k is really kinda little for a DSLR, considering the extra money you need to set aside for accessories like dry cabinet, memory card(s), tripod/monopod (can wait if you're not shooting nice sceneries and the like), an extra lens for some reach, etc.

Typically, if you're thinking of getting 1st hand, you have these options:

1) Nikon D40/D40x Kit - after this you'll have quite little left for accessories, and you only have a 18-55mm to play with. Enough for general street photography (but doesnt allow you to 'snipe') and scenery shots. Downside is you can only use AF-S lenses if you want to use AF function in lenses

2) Sony A100 Kit - not exactly sure how much it'll set you back by though

The better option IMHO is to get a 2nd hand body:

1) Nikon D50/D70s Body/Kit - You should be able to get them for around 600-800. Try to source for a good deal in the Buy/Sell subforum. The extra money will go to a dry cabinet (about $100 for a 1st hand small one), extra batteries and memory cards (between 100-200 depending on original or 3rd party batts and capacity of memory cards you're going for).

2) Sony A100 Body/Kit - I saw some fellow bros/sis here selling for pretty cheap. Try looking around in the Buy/Sell subforum. Extra money leftover will go to the accessories stated above.

3) Canon 300D/350D Body/Kit - You should be able to get them for around 600-800 too, depending also on condition and bundled stuff. Extra leftover funds will go also to dry cabinet, memory cards, etc.

With your budget, don't think of extra lenses, tripod, etc. Before you dive in to a cheap buy on the BnS subforum, remember, buying a DSLR/SLR is buying the whole system. Do some homework. Look through lenses, accessories of the respective brands. Look for friends with the same cameras and play around. Decide based on the following (as a guideline, your criteria may differ): camera software interface, intuitiveness of controls, the design and build of the camera (whether it fits your hands/style), etc.

Remember how you find the camera (according to above criteria) will differ from your peers. All these are personal preferences. Do think carefully before you make your choice. Regretting your buy and selling your 1st system off to go for another will warrant a significant loss.

With that said, good luck to you in sourcing for your 1st camera. Remember to shoot more and post more after that!
    Trust me, I'm not so bad! | TangShooters

Hi there, i was in your position just starting of this month.

I bought a used Canon 350D + kit lens for $680 from the BnS section. Spent another $110+/- for the dry cabinet. Another $110 for extra battery and $55 for a 2GB memory card (i think you can find cheaper ones though). I've been shooting most of my pictures with the kit lens which is a 18-55mm and i feel is sufficient enough for me. For bags wise, i bought a small Lowepro over the shoulder sort of pouch which can store my camera + kit lens and a small pouch for the small battery and spare memory card which costs about $19.

So if you manage to find a good deal in the BnS section which i feel there are, you can spend the extra for dry cabinet or even a tripod.

All the best!

With a $1k budget, I will suggest to u getting a D70 with kit lens, 30L dry cabinet and a SB600 from the BnS. And slowly built up your arsenal from there.

If you have doubts about the D40/D40x, I can assure you that it is a very decent camera for beginners such as you (even though I am a Canon user), and it certainly sounds like it fits into your budget. What you need to consider carefully now is which direction your road into photography may take, and you may need to plan ahead; ie, read up on what other lenses Nikon offers, what may be some areas of personal interest (ie, portraiture, macro etc). If not you may find the D40 sufficient for now but not good enough to meet your future needs. Sustainability is very important, so since you're planning to make your camera last, then you might want to consider the advantages of having flexibility and being versatile in your shooting. Photography is after all a hobby for many of us here and the more we shoot, the more we explore, the more satisfied we are, yeah?
    I shoot film.

besides, how abt D50 or D70s, 2nd hands is easy to find...

Quote Originally Posted by boredphuck View Post
    yeah. my friend just bought it at that price but its before gst.
    hey, pay by cash and i think u may offset the 7%gst by a bit. just a few days ago i asked for canon 50mm f1.8. they quote me $135 by nets, $130 by cash. think u can save a fair bit if u pay by cash.

Yeah. but to walk with a few k in cash into a camera shop if you were purchasing say, consumer grade lenses? O_o
    I shoot film.

Quote Originally Posted by unseenshadows View Post
    Yeah. but to walk with a few k in cash into a camera shop if you were purchasing say, consumer grade lenses? O_o
    hmmmm, i did that. But of course I made sure to locate the nearest ATM from shop.

Might seemed troublesome and penny pinching to some, but the money saved so far can actually get me a new battery grip!

Wow. a few hundred saved just from paying cash and not by credit?
    I shoot film.

Quote Originally Posted by unseenshadows View Post
    Wow. a few hundred saved just from paying cash and not by credit?
    Oh, I not refering to just a single lens, bought quite a bit of stuff and accessories from the same shop over the year.

Part of the tatic is to ask for e-quote also, usually cheaper than the walk-in asking price.

So to the TS, if you do intend to get a brand new accessories, try asking for an e-qoute (usually quoted based on cash purchase) first. Might save you some money.

Hmm... Now that I am so tempted to buy 2nd hand D70 or D50 given their price is so attractive... and i can spend the rest to useful accessories...

Else i think i will just buy D40, but after buying i guess won't have much money left for others...

So the must-have accessories are:
    Dry Cabinet ( Price range? Where to buy? )
    Extra Battery
    Memory Card
    Camera Bag

extra battery not really necessary. sometime when you buy first hand, retailer may include freebies such as memory cards and camera bags. eg, when my got my Canon EOS 400D kit, i got a free camera bag and a free 2GB CF card
    I shoot film.

For dry cabinets, you can try these digi cabi models. Free delivery for certain models.

Quote Originally Posted by kanki View Post
    Hmm... Now that I am so tempted to buy 2nd hand D70 or D50 given their price is so attractive... and i can spend the rest to useful accessories...

Else i think i will just buy D40, but after buying i guess won't have much money left for others...

So the must-have accessories are:
    Dry Cabinet ( Price range? Where to buy? )
    Extra Battery
    Memory Card
    Camera Bag
    -Dry Cabinet is a must due to the humidity and raining season now.
    -Extra battery not neccessary for a D70/50 cos it can last u for 1 whole day of shoot on a full charge
    -Memory card can be negotiated with the seller to include it in. A 2gb is more than enough for 1 day shoot in raw pics (358 raw for 6MP)

Other useful accessories include CPL, tripod, monopod, ballhead, shutter remote, flash, blower and microfiber cloth which can be bought at a later stage when it is needed.

If you go for the D40 route, be prepared to forked out more for the purchase of AFS lens only in the future. Forget about using the AFD lens with manual focus on the D40, without a split prism and a small view finder, you are more likely to get out of focus pic most of the time. The loose focusing ring on the AFD lens is partly to blame as well on MF mode. eg 50mm f1.8

i think that is kinda heavy on the amount of info for a beginner...
    I shoot film.

Was in same situation as TS recently..
    In the end I decided to get a 2nd hand D70s from BNS. You could possibly get good deals there for 2nd hand cameras, some with extra batts and memory cards already included. So you only have to look for other stuff like the dry cabi, tripod, camera bag, which should fit into your budget nicely..

Hmm... another question.

Is there a need for auto focus for Prime lens??
    Dun really know what a prime lens is...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast