Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Odex still on warpath

Default Re: Odex still on warpath

Quote Originally Posted by wind30 View Post
    BUT why is everyone so worked up about this?

Odex can do pretty much what they think it is right. I don't really kow what is right as legal stuff is pretty complicated.

Seriously, why all the hate against Odex? Personally, I don't really care either way, cuz I don't work in Odex, and I don't download anime.... The courts will decide what is right and Odex is perfectly entitled to getting what they want through the legal channels.

Common, they are not spray painting people's houses, or putting pigs head, etc. Why all the hate?
    Maybe u'll feel the hate literally when companies decided to hire PIs to monitor u and submit the 'evidence' in court for any infraction (however little) to release your personal details AND to fine u simply because the company's "rights" had been violated and they tell u, "Ok! If you don't want to trash this out in court, we'll be the good guy. Just pay us x amount of money and the matter's settled out of court and we wun pursue the case further. But if u commit the infraction again, we will ignore the earlier settlement and bring u to court regardless."

Its pretty much like an RIAA thing.

Once a precedent had been set, it gives other companies regardless the leeway to pursue such a wayward course of justice in the name of protecting "company's rights".

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    1) A 'book' is published in a foreign language

2) A group of fans of the book decided to commit their spare time to translate the book accurately with as much of the original favour as possible and make it available to everyone in the International Language - English, for free through the internet.
    Distributing something "for free" that has been stolen from others is piracy, regardless whether translated or not. The rights to a work also include the right to determine if/how it is distributed. If the owner choses not to distribute it in a certain language, you can translate it for your own use, but not redistribute it.

I'm amazed at the nonchalance with which people try to justify breaking the law.

Maybe u'll feel the hate literally when companies decided to hire PIs to monitor u and submit the 'evidence' in court for any infraction (however little) to release your personal details AND to fine u simply because the company's "rights" had been violated and they tell u, "Ok! If you don't want to trash this out in court, we'll be the good guy. Just pay us x amount of money and the matter's settled out of court and we wun pursue the case further. But if u commit the infraction again, we will ignore the earlier settlement and bring u to court regardless."

Its pretty much like an RIAA thing.

Once a precedent had been set, it gives other companies regardless the leeway to pursue such a wayward course of justice in the name of protecting "company's rights".

And still soft-cover? ;-p
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

And why shouldn't the precedence be set, if the company's legal rights have been infringed? Are the laws not set up to protect the rights of companies and individuals alike? I have not been following the case and am not aware of the merits/demerits of the case, and like wind30, I don't really have an interest either way. But Odex has the right to avail itself to our legal system. Should we not trust the courts to do the right thing and arrive at an equitable solution? And yes, they are well aware about setting precedence.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleWolf View Post
    Distributing something "for free" that has been stolen from others is piracy, regardless whether translated or not. The rights to a work also include the right to determine if/how it is distributed. If the owner choses not to distribute it in a certain language, you can translate it for your own use, but not redistribute it.

I'm amazed at the nonchalance with which people try to justify breaking the law.
    before you judge people's non chalance consider that in this case the so called criminals in your eyes are not making a money off what they're freely doing and in fact are opening up a market for the said product by giving people a chance to sample and raising awareness. No one has been deprieved of any income and in fact they end up filling the coffers of the rightful distributors. Besides there is such a thing as fair use and what they're doing is following the market demand by opening up the niche since there's a demand for it. Goes to show that the old methods of distribution are getting more and more obselete.

And with a precedent set in this 'law breaking' open up a floodgate of lawsuits which companies can have the potential power to sue everyone (urself including) for infraction of any law (however little) simply because they feel that their rights had been 'violated' and 'threatened' which is due to their own incompetence?

Yes. Such is the dangerous scenario (possibly) if a dangerous precedence had been set.

The case is supposedly to have started out due to 'piracy', but the backlash of setting a precedence ruiling on a law is far greater than that of just 'piracy'.

Look beyond the obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by dkw View Post
    And why shouldn't the precedence be set, if the company's legal rights have been infringed? Are the laws not set up to protect the rights of companies and individuals alike? I have not been following the case and am not aware of the merits/demerits of the case, and like wind30, I don't really have an interest either way. But Odex has the right to avail itself to our legal system. Should we not trust the courts to do the right thing and arrive at an equitable solution? And yes, they are well aware about setting precedence.
    they have a right to their day in court. Do you THINK they had a right to coerce people into paying them when the court has already established that they had no right to do so? Do you think they have a right to manipulate the law and bully the ignorant? What kind of message does that send to society if the precedent set is yes?

Number 1, get your facts right.
    Number 2, no one is justifying piracy. Get that right too.

Number 2, no one is justifying piracy. Pirates should know full well of the consequences and be ready to pay the price. The issue is WHO should they pay the price to.
    Number 3, get your facts right.

Lol, and again. Get your facts right. ;-p
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by shinken View Post
    Number 2, no one is justifying piracy. Pirates should know full well of the consequences and be ready to pay the price. The issue is WHO should they pay the price to.
    Number 3, get your facts right.
    And which 'facts' in my post did I get wrong, when I stated no facts at all and merely an opinion? Even if the opinion is slightly off tangent to the topic and merely addressing a subtheme of this thread?

4) Get your sights right so you don't shoot yourself in the foot.
    Last edited by dkw; 1st November 2007 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by garou12 View Post
    Do you think they have a right to manipulate the law and bully the ignorant? What kind of message does that send to society if the precedent set is yes?
    If you believe our legal system to be robust, how is it then that it can be so easily manipulated by mischief makers?

And which 'facts' in my post did I get wrong, when I stated no facts at all and merely an opinion? Even if the opinion is slightly off tangent to the topic and merely addressing a subtheme of this thread?

4) Get your sights right so you don't shoot yourself in the foot.
    Meaning get your facts right before you based your opinions on it.
    APAD | Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    Meaning get your facts right before you based your opinions on it.
    And upon which facts have I based my opinion?
    Last edited by dkw; 1st November 2007 at 04:24 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123