Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58

Thread: How much should a new model charge?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    This place called Singapore
    Posts
    31

    Default How much should a new model charge?

    I'm a new starting out freelancing model.
    I'm 14, i've had no training whatsoever.
    How much would I charge per hour for a shoot if I got some training first?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: How much should a new model charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by pixie-stix View Post
    I'm a new starting out freelancing model.
    I'm 14, i've had no training whatsoever.
    How much would I charge per hour for a shoot if I got some training first?
    Seeing as you at the moment you have no training (and therefore I take it no portfolio shots?) Trying to do some TFCD's may be of benefit to you. If you have training, but no shoot experience you wont be able to command much in the first few shots, probably $25/hr if your lucky/depending on usage.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    This place called Singapore
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: How much should a new model charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by wildstallion View Post
    Seeing as you at the moment you have no training (and therefore I take it no portfolio shots?) Trying to do some TFCD's may be of benefit to you. If you have training, but no shoot experience you wont be able to command much in the first few shots, probably $25/hr if your lucky/depending on usage.
    Someone from an agency recommended $40/hr, so I guess thats too much?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: How much should a new model charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by pixie-stix View Post
    Someone from an agency recommended $40/hr, so I guess thats too much?
    Its all a matter of opinion. If an agency said that and I said $25, then go half way, haha, so say something like $30/hr.

    As you gain experience and a solid portfolio that price can keep going up.

    If your interested in doing a shoot for stock, feel free to pm me.

  5. #5

    Default Re: How much should a new model charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by pixie-stix View Post
    I'm a new starting out freelancing model.
    I'm 14, i've had no training whatsoever.
    How much would I charge per hour for a shoot if I got some training first?
    You're 14 and wanna do this?

    Lets put it this way-- you won't earn much. Probably $20 or $30 an hour at most. Why? Because it's hard to become a good model without dedication. It's more than just being TL or having a pretty face.

  6. #6

    Default Re: How much should a new model charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by pixie-stix View Post
    I'm a new starting out freelancing model.
    I'm 14, i've had no training whatsoever.
    How much would I charge per hour for a shoot if I got some training first?
    Go for the traning first. Don't think of charging anyone without any prior experience.

    After your basic training is done, then maybe you can do a TFCD with a photographer who have at least some basic experience in posing skills with good communication. If not you will be wasting your time.

    Every agency has a different gauge. To some $40/ per hour seems a lot for some photographers who is shooting a new model with little or no experience at all.

    Just don't get exploited by photographers because you are new to the market. Best is you can ask a few agency around. Call them or pay a visit to ask them more about the market value.

    Although you are only 14 years (I think you need prior consent from your parents if you do want to want to do part time modelling) but I have shot models who is 1.75m-1.85m tall age between 13-16 years old.

    For now, I can only suggest you do a little more homework before taking up any offers.

  7. #7

    Default Re: How much should a new model charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    You're 14 and wanna do this?

    Lets put it this way-- you won't earn much. Probably $20 or $30 an hour at most. Why? Because it's hard to become a good model without dedication. It's more than just being TL or having a pretty face.
    While you have a valid point about what's needed behind the scenes, you're wrong about the issue about her earning power. It mainly depends on where she's at. Singapore is guaranteed to not pay top dollar. However if she can break into the American or European market, your point is moot. Best to see if she has potential before you render judgement. To TS if you want to break out and be successful: Be prepared to be mobile and not tied down to Singapore.
    Last edited by garou12; 29th October 2007 at 11:38 PM.

  8. #8
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: How much should a new model charge?

    Maybe that someone meant those rates if you are represented by them - then what happens is that the agency will take S$15 an hour and you are left with $25 an hour?

    Just speculating

    Quote Originally Posted by pixie-stix View Post
    Someone from an agency recommended $40/hr, so I guess thats too much?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    This place called Singapore
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: How much should a new model charge?

    thank you to all for the answers- I will see about training- I just thought that maybe I could earn a bit since everyone says tall, skinny caucasians are in high demand in modelling. But thanks for all the answers.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: How much should a new model charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by pixie-stix View Post
    thank you to all for the answers- I will see about training- I just thought that maybe I could earn a bit since everyone says tall, skinny caucasians are in high demand in modelling. But thanks for all the answers.
    My offer for a stock shoot still stands if your interested in getting some more experience. If you would like to see my portfolio then feel free to pm me.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Woody Land
    Posts
    1,743

    Default Re: How much should a new model charge?

    Hi!

    Whatever you decide, make sure u are discussion with someone ( like an elder family member or cousins) that will protect your interests and personal safety. There are some people and companies that take advantage of and exploit new people in the industry.

    You can PM me if you want to me to help you to get some test shots. See my website. www.razin-photography.com.

    cheers and all the best!
    It is easier to critique than to create ; www.razin-photography.com
    My studio is available for rent

  12. #12
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: How much should a new model charge?

    as much as a new photographer with no training

    if you intent to charge, make sure you can deliver the results
    i'd recommend going for training
    and get as much experience as possible

  13. #13

    Default Re: How much should a new model charge?

    newbie models? Some with passion would charge nothing at all for a start as they need to build their portfolio and needs the photographers services. Some would be around 10-20/hr usually, but at age of 14, it's better to concentrate on studies! But 40/hr, where did you get that quote and for how many hrs? Hmm

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    This place called Singapore
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: How much should a new model charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by DreamLine View Post
    newbie models? Some with passion would charge nothing at all for a start as they need to build their portfolio and needs the photographers services. Some would be around 10-20/hr usually, but at age of 14, it's better to concentrate on studies! But 40/hr, where did you get that quote and for how many hrs? Hmm
    Modelling is only to be a part time job- its just a bit of money in the pocket to spend on weekends I know to focus on studies.

  15. #15

    Default Re: How much should a new model charge?

    Just be careful since you're only 14. Don't get taken advantaged of and stay safe (Eg: Ask a friend to come along for a shoot instead of going alone). I think threadstarter is thinking of just making some pocket money and not really thinking of doing modelling as a career. Anyways, I guess $20/hr is a good start as I heard that those PC Show/Car Show girls are getting that rate for just standing around and looking pretty.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    This place called Singapore
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: How much should a new model charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by p7m13 View Post
    Just be careful since you're only 14. Don't get taken advantaged of and stay safe (Eg: Ask a friend to come along for a shoot instead of going alone). I think threadstarter is thinking of just making some pocket money and not really thinking of doing modelling as a career. Anyways, I guess $20/hr is a good start as I heard that those PC Show/Car Show girls are getting that rate for just standing around and looking pretty.
    At the moment I think its just a part time job since I need to get through school first- but who knows? If I get good enough and people like what I do, maybe it might become a career.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dreamy Nikon Land
    Posts
    2,874

    Default Re: How much should a new model charge?

    Lol, If you really did make it next time, then ppl here in ClubSNAP would be the ones who seen you thru growing up.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    This place called Singapore
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: How much should a new model charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    Lol, If you really did make it next time, then ppl here in ClubSNAP would be the ones who seen you thru growing up.


    haha, very very true.

  19. #19

    Default Re: How much should a new model charge?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Ang View Post
    Lol, If you really did make it next time, then ppl here in ClubSNAP would be the ones who seen you thru growing up.
    u making me feel like an uncle

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Clementi, Singapore
    Posts
    2,836

    Default Re: How much should a new model charge?

    After thinking about it more, a model with no experience should not be charging, unless the photos are being used for direct commercial gain (e.g.stock instead of portfolio which would be indirect). You have to prove yourself, the photographer will have already proved himself. Once a decent portfolio is gathered, then start charging. For no experience with the photos being used for something like stock, im going back to my original, but you would be lucky to get even that (especially if you want the shots for your own use).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •