Thread: Flag B&W

Default Flag B&W

Hi all, this photo was taken during the 9 emperor celebration, I convert it from colour version
    I'm learning B&W Pict. Constructive comment are most welcome

thank for viewing

Default Re: Flag B&W

Pic too small to see.....
    |SonyA700|T180mmf3.5|M70-210mmf4|S30mmf1.4|T17-50mmf2.8|T90mmf2.8|M5600hsdX2|

Quote Originally Posted by sherchoo View Post
    Pic too small to see.....

The image looks totally dull and flat. There isn't any tonalities, as in the Zone System. I suspect you took this image under the canvas shelter where lighting is so diffused, or you used the Desaturate function or converted yr color image to Greyscale mode. Try using Channel Mixer to convert yr color image. You can search online or books on how to do it. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzotint View Post
    The image looks totally dull and flat. There isn't any tonalities, as in the Zone System. I suspect you took this image under the canvas shelter where lighting is so diffused, or you used the Desaturate function or converted yr color image to Greyscale mode. Try using Channel Mixer to convert yr color image. You can search online or books on how to do it. Good luck!
    noted thank u

what about this version???

Quote Originally Posted by suntao View Post

what about this version???

There u got it! There's still room for improvement. I didn't get to see the original color version, but based on the previous version, I presume the Chinese words on the foreground flag, is in either orange or red, and the flag color is in light yellow color. After comversion, the text is in deep black and the flag color is almost white. I suspect you increased the pecentage in the Blue Channel, which filters out all blue color tone and darkens red color tone.

With a little help of using Curves and of cuz the traditional darkroom techniques like burning and dodging, you have more controls on the results, especially the brightness and contrast and the overall mood. In this image, I'm not sure if you did use the stated techniques. YOu certainly has the shadow area details revealed; perferring to the foreground fruits on the bottom right corner frame.

These words are just my 2-cents worth of suggestions for your reference only. In the end, it's all up to you to decide on how you want yr pictures to look like. Good day.
    Last edited by Mezzotint; 29th October 2007 at 09:02 PM.

There u got it! There's still room for improvement. I didn't get to see the original color version, but based on the previous version, I presume the Chinese words on the foreground flag, is in either orange or red, and the flag color is in light yellow color. After comversion, the text is in deep black and the flag color is almost white. I suspect you increased the pecentage in the Blue Channel, which filters out all blue color tone and darkens red color tone.

With a little help of using Curves and of cuz the traditional darkroom techniques like burning and dodging, you have more controls on the results, especially the brightness and contrast and the overall mood. In this image, I'm not sure if you did use the stated techniques. YOu certainly has the shadow area details revealed; perferring to the foreground fruits on the bottom right corner frame.

These words are just my 2-cents worth of suggestions for your reference only. In the end, it's all up to you to decide on how you want yr pictures to look like. Good day.
    Hi Mezzotint thank u for comment and advise, yes the flage is yellow with red wording.
    I use the channel mixing to convert it in 2nd version by decrease to red and blue (-50) and increase the green to (200) As for other improvment u advised I will try and see how to make it better

cheer

The 2nd version is definately better.. more DOF would be nice to isolate the subject fron the messy background

Quote Originally Posted by m3lv1nh0 View Post
    The 2nd version is definately better.. more DOF would be nice to isolate the subject fron the messy background

thank

such great improvement. well done!

Quote Originally Posted by feelingwarmandhappy View Post
    such great improvement. well done!
    THANK