Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Becoming a Model: TFCD or NOT?

Default Re: Becoming a Model: TFCD or NOT?

Quote Originally Posted by Klose View Post
    I wonder which "pro" photographer hires a model but without a mua?
    If thats what you are talking about... maybe you can consider having good amateurs that are also very good with makeup of different looks... you may call them the semi pros... some which I had worked with, especially for 'budget' shoots. They may even be quite good with studio makeup.

I had experiences with mua in studio b4 dat was pretty bad dio...
    (again this is case by case basis... not a statement for flaking)

vince123123
    Guests

You also need to balance out to say that not all paying portfolios are good. There are paid portfolios which standard and quality can't even match a free one.

There are many models who get tricked into paying for a portfolio and the portfolio ended up lousy.

There are even cases where the models pay for a portfolio, and the person collecting the money ended up engaging a photographer for free (and told him it was a TFCD).

Hence, do not keep saying that free is bad, and pay is good. There are two sides of a coin in every situation. Even if paid, nothing is "ensured" as you put it.

Quote Originally Posted by enimister View Post
    Hey guys,

I am not saying that TFCD is BAD...

Just that some could be 'tricked' into doing TFCD and did not get the hi res images.

There are good photographers and videographers here that I know off.

Its just a note to models and not something to be flaked at rite?

Well many a photographer here is very sufficient to take good models photos... and definitely worth the while for newbie models to pay them to start off.

Simple fact... money is to ensure timely and good delivery of product... passion for photography and model alike produces better results

fyi: I do not do all these except assignments for my company... time constrains and professional conduct with my company

Michael of Edgemedia has been very enthusiastic and helped many local girls in their start to professional modeling. His company has groomed many guys/gals and even put the girls on the fashion spread/cover of their in-house online magazine BARE. They are currently recruiting more models for paid jobs/editorial shoots, providing training/grooming/portfolio shoots for them. Let us know if you need any help. Maybe we can all shoot some nice pictures and contribute to your revamped BARE magazine Hope this will give fellow snappers some insight to the credibility of his post. Some of their artists are good too.. Do support them and book them for shoots and jobs

Edgemedia Website:
    http://www.emhpl.com

* Models/Artiste/Talents management
    http://www.emhpl.com/1024/index.html

* Portfolio shoots for models/talents

* Courses for models/actors/talents

* Own online magazine
    http://bare.emhpl.com/

Really look forward to your revamped BARE magazine..wish you all the best and look forward to working with you guys.
    Last edited by Buckteeth LCL; 31st October 2007 at 01:21 PM.

vince123123
    Guests

Are you saying that enimister is "Michael of Edgemedia"?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckteeth LCL View Post
    Michael of Edgemedia has been very enthusiastic and helped many local girls in their start to professional modeling. His company has groomed many guys/gals and even put the girls on the fashion spread/cover of their in-house online magazine BARE. They are currently recruiting more models for paid jobs/editorial shoots, providing training/grooming/portfolio shoots for them. Let us know if you need any help. Maybe we can all shoot some nice pictures and contribute to your revamped BARE magazine Hope this will give fellow snappers some insight to the credibility of his post. Some of their artists are good too.. Do support them and book them for shoots and jobs

Edgemedia Website:

* Own online magazine

Really look forward to your revamped BARE magazine..wish you all the best and look forward to working with you guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckteeth LCL View Post

Edgemedia Website:

* Own online magazine

suddenly it is clear. and what a sight to behold
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    You also need to balance out to say that not all paying portfolios are good. There are paid portfolios which standard and quality can't even match a free one.

There are many models who get tricked into paying for a portfolio and the portfolio ended up lousy.

There are even cases where the models pay for a portfolio, and the person collecting the money ended up engaging a photographer for free (and told him it was a TFCD).

Hence, do not keep saying that free is bad, and pay is good. There are two sides of a coin in every situation. Even if paid, nothing is "ensured" as you put it.
    Fully agree to that... so the important thingy is for photographers to know how to ensure that if you do TFCD, do not be that 'green' to let those so called studio's make use off for no reason also.

And for models to actually choose the correct studio to shoot... where you can even ask if for credentials of the photographer doing your shoot. Like nowadays what people do to wedding photographer

Well... there is always a link between amateur, pro-amateur, professional and those who work as media crews, videographers and photographers. Cheers to all

But maybe a gentle note of conscience for photographers, lets do our part to fulfill the TFCD and ensure your name put on the digital image is worthwhile (hi-res and some minor touchups at least bah)... lets feel proud to have our name on the photos k.

I don't care much about where who & who comes from, my comments are mainly based on the statement made and messages placed across.
    The models are not the only one who risk wasting their time, the photographers risk wasting their time too. Many wannabe models are reluctant even to place a clearly visable photo of themselves when asked for TFCD if you noticed..
    Are there no risk for models to engage professional agencies or studios?
    My advise is read carefully those contract agreements that they asked you to sign.
    If you find a bad tfcd photographer, the worse case is you waste a few hours and getting no usable pictures in return. If you sign a bad contract with an agency, you could waste much much more time to recover from it. If you find a bad professional studio, you could waste several hundred dollars getting nothing much in return.
    If the model is worried about her own safety, she can always ask someone to accompany her to the shoot. Why amateur photographers are doing it for no monetary consideration? Simple, photography is their interest.
    It's ok to promote your business and profession, but in my opinion is that care should be exercised when conducting it in the expense of projecting bad image and reputation on the amateur photographers here.

vince123123
    Guests

I feel compelled to highlight these parts in your post again Straight to the point!

Quote Originally Posted by JSNG View Post
    I don't care much about where who & who comes from, my comments are mainly based on the statement made and messages placed across.
    The models are not the only one who risk wasting their time, the photographers risk wasting their time too. Many wannabe models are reluctant even to place a clearly visable photo of themselves when asked for TFCD if you noticed..
    Are there no risk for models to engage professional agencies or studios?
    My advise is read carefully those contract agreements that they asked you to sign.
    If you find a bad tfcd photographer, the worse case is you waste a few hours and getting no usable pictures in return. If you sign a bad contract with an agency, you could waste much much more time to recover from it. If you find a bad professional studio, you could waste several hundred dollars getting nothing much in return.
    If the model is worried about her own safety, she can always ask someone to accompany her to the shoot. Why amateur photographers are doing it for no monetary consideration? Simple, photography is their interest.
    It's ok to promote your business and profession, but in my opinion is that care should be exercised when conducting it in the expense of projecting bad image and reputation on the amateur photographers here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    suddenly it is clear. and what a sight to behold
    Just to let everyone know where he is coming from la the company's portfolio and their works
    so can better understand his messages.

Well maybe we can form a team, use their trained girls and shoot a fashion spread for their online BARE magazine? We certainly have many hobbyist/fellow snappers here with the skills/talents that can be showcased on any magazines

The issue here is that his credibility is probably shot because of the impression he's made here; by making his point in a round about way while insinuating that the people's integrity are suspect which in turn made him look suspect in the eyes of the viewers. Not a good way to drum up business if he's made the people here view him with suspicion of an ulterior motive as DP pointed out earlier. Bucktooth; he should have said what you said from the begining and told us who he really was and instead of going into his tfcd lecture. Right now it looks like he's misrepresented himself.
    Last edited by garou12; 2nd November 2007 at 08:25 AM.

To that, I din drum up business and have no reason to as many models with good portfolios are already with us. Secondly until buckteeth released any details, no one knows anything.

Its a short clear and crisp message across, be it pro or amateurs, there are good and bad eggs around. Amateurs, simple fact learn and learn at least about professionalism first. If anything in sg is precious, time is the most precious thingy.

simple as that if you put TFCD into real life scenario,

Would you Q for hours for a standing fan costing $100 and when its about your time to collect the free item, the person in charge tells you that the fan is out and that they will either provide another item (of lower value) or there's no free items to collect?

Well for amateurs or pro alike, make it clear to the girls your commitment as well. What you provide to them, as many of them models if they are new and good, still spend hours on TFCD and may still require to do and pay for own portfolio due to low res images. Would it be fair to em as well?

vince123123
    Guests

Learning about professionalism should not only be confined to amateurs, but to pros alike as well. As I have said before, paying portfolios are also subject to risk. Which is worse, pay and get low res images, or TFCD and get low res images?

To that, I din drum up business and have no reason to as many models with good portfolios are already with us. Secondly until buckteeth released any details, no one knows anything.

Its a short clear and crisp message across, be it pro or amateurs, there are good and bad eggs around. Amateurs, simple fact learn and learn at least about professionalism first. If anything in sg is precious, time is the most precious thingy.

simple as that if you put TFCD into real life scenario,

Would you Q for hours for a standing fan costing $100 and when its about your time to collect the free item, the person in charge tells you that the fan is out and that they will either provide another item (of lower value) or there's no free items to collect?

Well for amateurs or pro alike, make it clear to the girls your commitment as well. What you provide to them, as many of them models if they are new and good, still spend hours on TFCD and may still require to do and pay for own portfolio due to low res images. Would it be fair to em as well?
    i would stay the high handed lecture. The minute someone raised the issue that you had an ulterior motive in posting your lecture here, your credibility was shot. Taking a round about approach to making your point didn't help your believeability either.

My thanks to tuck and ryan here for introducing many amateur, semi-pro and pro models for some editorial works.

Some of them was not even to produce a few photos but are shortlisted via 'gut feeling' and I understand that some models picture if emailed to photographers for TFCD cant even see the face at all (LOL). Well simple fact, just ask her to send you more photos. The newbie is not wrong.

But if for photographers to showcase the sub-standards... its realli a disappointment rite?

They and some other models I worked for before will be able to testify that models improvement and having good portfolio is more than important. I do offer TFCD or TFP only on case by case basis (on very rare occassion).

its a believer or not... well point is clear...

understand some photographers will understand dis point.

Question is why cant we take it constructively... do our part of the agreement and stay be a pro at least? delivering good TFCD in both results and quality of file (hi-res)

***pple r juz pple... wadz d arguing for?***

vince123123
    Guests

Sigh, more pro snobbery. I get a deja vu feeling of another pro photographer in this forum who keep shoving full time photography vs non-full time photography and keeps brainwashing with repeated messages that paid works must be good and unpaid works must be bad and painting doom and gloom on unpaid works.

You keep harping about low res images - you may only be seeing the tip of the iceberg and it is unwise for you to say that TFCD is bad because they give low res images. I've seen paid works also give low res and in fact, some even give only low number of bad images. I've also seen paid jobs where they engage a "free" newbie photographer and collect money both sides.

If you are just speaking for your company, then just say so. There is no need to topple the entire boat of non-paid works just to show that your company holds itself to a certain standard.

My thanks to tuck and ryan here for introducing many amateur, semi-pro and pro models for some editorial works.

Some of them was not even to produce a few photos but are shortlisted via 'gut feeling' and I understand that some models picture if emailed to photographers for TFCD cant even see the face at all (LOL). Well simple fact, just ask her to send you more photos. The newbie is not wrong.

But if for photographers to showcase the sub-standards... its realli a disappointment rite?

They and some other models I worked for before will be able to testify that models improvement and having good portfolio is more than important. I do offer TFCD or TFP only on case by case basis (on very rare occassion).

never topple other boats bro... its just a note to all...

well hobbyist and paid are 2 different matters aside... but behind the lens is another issue.

I belive you are one with standard thats why the argument...

but there may be others short-changers around.

understand your feelings... dats why was stated previously...

to check credentials of photographers, bro...

some studios are set up to cheat moni... but sensitive issue to discuss here

vince123123
    Guests

Well, I believe that if you want to warn people or send a note to all, you shouldn't slant towards TFCD or non-paid works. You should warn about the pitfalls of ANY model doing portfolios - be it paid works (and getting paid works cheat) and non-paid works.

I would reckon (without basis however, just a personal feeling), that there are more (absolute numbers wise) paid works cheats out there than non-paid works cheats. The motivation to cheat for paid works is far more than the motivation for non-paid works.

well hobbyist and paid are 2 different matters aside... but behind the lens is another issue.

so either out them for who they are or shove it with the sanctimonious speech. Put up or shut up. FYI: It is distasteful and BAD marketing to promote yourself while bashing your competition.
    Last edited by garou12; 2nd November 2007 at 09:23 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast