Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: B&W Conversion

Default Re: B&W Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Reviving this ead, and not to detract from the on-doing discussions, but do you have any idea how this photographer achieves his tonal values?

http://www.marktucker.com/indexport.html
    The images presented in this website are very normal. As long as you take care exposing your shots, I don't see any difficulties in achieving such tones.

I guessed you have not seen a real masterpiece from photographers such as Yousuf Karsh, Ansel Adams and Edward Weston, etc... These are the images that really make me say "wow!"
    Last edited by photobum; 2nd November 2007 at 10:01 PM.

No, seeing an actual print in real life from one of the masters would be an honour indeed, and I doubt if it would be easy for someone stuck in SG.

In fact, viewing well-made platinum prints would have also been one of the highlights of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    No, seeing an actual print in real life from one of the masters would be an honour indeed, and I doubt if it would be easy for someone stuck in SG.

In fact, viewing well-made platinum prints would have also been one of the highlights of my life.
    You can always 'unstuck' yourself. Air traveling is cheap and safe these days. You just have to commit time.

Try National Gallery of Art and the Smithsonian Institute, both in Washington D.C. Best collection of photograph masterpieces you'll ever seen. They have some very impressive
    palladium and platinum prints from masters such as Alfred Stieglitz. I have been there thrice already and still longing to return.
    Last edited by photobum; 3rd November 2007 at 07:42 AM.

I know of someone here in Singapore who have some very nice B&W prints from some of the "masters". And also some very nice platinum prints.

He used to be a member of CS.
    Last edited by Anjinnete Ross; 3rd November 2007 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjinnete Ross View Post
    I know of someone here in Singapore who have some very nice B&W prints from some of the "masters". And also some very nice platinum prints.

He used to be a member of CS.
    Yes... Dr. Chong (a.k.a 'student'). I know him in person. One of the best Singaporean B&W printer I have come to know.

Do you believe that I have a 16" x 20" copy of the Ansel Adam's "Moonrise, Hernandez N.M." reprinted for me by non-other than Alan Ross? I paid US$3,600 for it, which is just fractions of Adams' original print.
    Last edited by photobum; 4th November 2007 at 12:01 AM.

Read this technique http://www.daveblackphotography.com/...op/10-2007.htm

Dave Black's method for producing great B&W and its the method i always use. Works really well and you get really great tonal values. (: Give it a try

I got another simple method to convert to B&W.

In PS, press D to set to default White and black. Than press X to set Black as main color.
    Go to Add Adjustment layer > select Gradient Map

That's it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234