View Poll Results: Are the aid measures adequate for Taxi Drivers to survive SARS?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES! It is enough!

    9 25.00%
  • NO! They need more help!

    21 58.33%
  • No idea man.

    6 16.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Taxi Drivers and the SARS situation

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Near Equator
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Originally posted by Snowcrash
    So when we lose our job, how long can we last if I had to dig out MORE than $100/day from our a/c?
    Financial planning is important for salaried people but more for those running a business/self-employed.

    Key word:- Cashflow.

    I don't understand your sentence "times are bad for taxi drivers, theny why can't times be bad for the company as well?" Pls explain.

    And read in 8th May Newpaper how a Degree Holder taxi driver survived during this tough times... for him.
    With regards to my comment on why can't times be bad for the taxi companies as well, I simply mean that if times are bad for the taxi drivers, then taxi companies will also face bad times. The companies can't be happily taking all the rental as per usual when this situation involves ALL taxi drivers. Please note that I only mean Taxi companies. I do not mean that any other agency or even that the government should come up with money or what stuff.... It's a kind of Employer/employee thing, though technically Taxi drivers are not employees.

    With regards to your kind reference to read the newspaper on the DEGREE HOLDER taxi driver. I did read, he's cool. He's a DEGREE HOLDER. What more can I say?? I seriously doubt that your average cabbie is a degree holder. Well, maybe I'm out of it but the cabbies I usually get are not.

    Though I agree that the others will do well to emulate such business tactics.


  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Near Equator
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Originally posted by Snowcrash
    So when we lose our job, how long can we last if I had to dig out MORE than $100/day from our a/c?
    Just to add-on a bit. You can choose NOT to spend that 100 bucks if you are unemployed. If you are unemployed and are spending that 100 bucks a day....... But if you have daily overheads (which I believe ALL businesses do, just to clarify that I'm not just speaking about taxi overheads), you haven't got a choice of whether you WANT to spend that amt of money.

    Yowser!

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,719

    Default

    My dad was a taxi driver, its a tough living!

  4. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Near Equator
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Yeah man, For the rest of us... When we get a job we look at the benefits.

    How much annual leave we get? Medical leave? vacation benefits? Maternity/paternity benefits? Marriage/childbirth/welfare/...... yak yak.

    For taxi drivers to take one day off. They still need to pay. Where got the company give you leave one.

  5. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Originally posted by Silverelf
    With regards to my comment on why can't times be bad for the taxi companies as well, I simply mean that if times are bad for the taxi drivers, then taxi companies will also face bad times. The companies can't be happily taking all the rental as per usual when this situation involves ALL taxi drivers. Please note that I only mean Taxi companies. I do not mean that any other agency or even that the government should come up with money or what stuff.... It's a kind of Employer/employee thing, though technically Taxi drivers are not employees.

    OIC, your 'companies' in the earlier post mean taxi companies. Thanks for clarifying.

    The taxi companies do face problem WHEN their taxis are not rented out due to low demand (no taxi driver to drive cost cannot earn by being one)

    I'm not sure of the demand/supply of taxis rental, but if more degree holders like the one publish in Newpaper (started only in Feb) pass their taxi license and wants to drive taxi... will there be a lack in taxi rental for the taxi companies?

    Example, if I'm a shopping centre owner and rent out shops to retail business. Demand more than supply and I have to put the rest on waiting list.

    So if a number of them have cashflow problem and can't pay rent and I have a waiting list of people willing to rent the place... what do I do?

    Sharing out loud who should take responsiblity when comes to earning a living.

    I salute those taxi drivers who are willing to be service-oriented and work on how to get more customers (work smart) than those who just hang around coffee shops and complain business is slow and So and So need to do these or that for me etc.

  6. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Near Equator
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Originally posted by Snowcrash
    Example, if I'm a shopping centre owner and rent out shops to retail business. Demand more than supply and I have to put the rest on waiting list.

    So if a number of them have cashflow problem and can't pay rent and I have a waiting list of people willing to rent the place... what do I do?
    Exactly my point. If the driver cannot pay... there are still lots of drivers waiting to take over. And if this situation is nationwide... it merely becomes a constant 'bleed dry the old guy then bleed the new one'

    Driver 1 cannot pay. Turn in Taxi. Driver 2 comes in to take over. Drive until cannot pay. Driver 3 comes. Etc.... etc....

    Of course whatever I said applies only in situations of nationwide influence. Just being plain lazy is out of my discussion point too.

    Slightly off topic. According to the owner of ONE.99 shop, one of the contributing factors to the company's collapse is rising rental. So does that mean the sole responsibility of making a business work or fail rests only on the owner? Maybe she shouldn't pick places like Suntec and Taka in the first place. Maybe should go to neighbourhood areas huh?

  7. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Western SG
    Posts
    1,537

    Default

    Originally posted by Silverelf
    Exactly my point. If the driver cannot pay... there are still lots of drivers waiting to take over. And if this situation is nationwide... it merely becomes a constant 'bleed dry the old guy then bleed the new one'

    Driver 1 cannot pay. Turn in Taxi. Driver 2 comes in to take over. Drive until cannot pay. Driver 3 comes. Etc.... etc....

    Of course whatever I said applies only in situations of nationwide influence. Just being plain lazy is out of my discussion point too.
    It will become a nationwide problem when no one wants to drive taxi anymore since it make no sense to 'bleed'

    So I'm thinking why new drivers want to take it up when the 'insiders' are complaining about not earning / bleeding.

    [/B]Slightly off topic. According to the owner of ONE.99 shop, one of the contributing factors to the company's collapse is rising rental. So does that mean the sole responsibility of making a business work or fail rests only on the owner? Maybe she shouldn't pick places like Suntec and Taka in the first place. Maybe should go to neighbourhood areas huh? [/B]
    As for the main contributing factor. she says that business/sales drop by 80%!! due to SARS outbreak

    Yes I believe SOLE RESPONSIBLITY of making the business work falls on the owner + management team.
    If I am a shareholder of the company, I'm thinking can I accept the CEO putting the blame on external factors for the failure of the business (rental increase, cost goes up, profit come down.)

    IMHO she make the wrong move by expanding (new shop at TTSH) without enough cashflow to carry on when SARS outbreak strike.

    BTW, In today's ST Jurong Point increase rent and some shop owners not happy about it... some renew the lease, some move out.
    Last edited by Snowcrash; 12th May 2003 at 12:55 PM.

  8. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Near Equator
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Originally posted by Snowcrash
    It will become a nationwide problem when no one wants to drive taxi anymore since it make no sense to 'bleed'

    So I'm thinking why new drivers want to take it up when the 'insiders' are complaining about not earning / bleeding.


    BTW, In today's ST Jurong Point increase rent and some shop owners not happy about it... some renew the lease, some move out.
    New drivers want to go in cos they got no jobs anyway, therefore giving leverage to the companies. Does not denote a healthy economy.

    If I were the shop owner of course I not happy also. You only bother about your own profits. This day and age, renting is osing out. You only really make money when you rent to others... cos you can bleed them dry like the tau pok.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •