Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Why +4, +3, +2?

  1. #1

    Default Why +4, +3, +2?

    I've seen a few guys stacking up 3 close-up filters, +4, +3, +2 for some pretty good macro shots.
    Was wondering if there's any reason for that combination?
    How's that combo compared to x2 +4?

    Appreciate your comments.

  2. #2

    Default

    Stacking 3 filters sounds excessive. Using 2 allows you the flexibility of adjusting your focal distance, but the more filters used, the higher chance of vignetting, CA and image degradation.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    +1 allows you to focus at around 100cm, +2 allows you to focus at 50cm, +3 at 33.3 cm and so on. Divide 100cm by the sum of the "factors" to get the focussing distance.

    The more the number of filters used, the greater the degradation in picture quality.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    It's for convenience, at the expense of image quality though.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land of the woods........
    Posts
    1,360

    Default

    Originally posted by imaginary_number
    It's for convenience, at the expense of image quality though.
    Hihi,

    will i get the same result if i use a marco lens instead of using close-up filters?Or are they apples and oranges by comparison?

    Sorry guys,me super newbie here...but interested in marco.

    Thanks!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    317

    Default

    Originally posted by eagles_creek
    Hihi,

    will i get the same result if i use a marco lens instead of using close-up filters?Or are they apples and oranges by comparison?

    Sorry guys,me super newbie here...but interested in marco.

    Thanks!
    I asked kinda the same questions on Fred Miranda. Here's the link. Check out the links posted too.

    http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/30925

    Generally, macro lens are dedicated lens for macro work. Close up filters limits the working distance.

    Pros of Macro vs CU filters [Non exhaustive, just simple]:
    1) No fuss, just shoot. No screwing of optional filters.
    2) Better image quality. [Significant image degradation with CU, and soft edges].

    Cons
    1) More expensive
    2) Flexibility?? [Subjective]

    Care to check out John Shaw's "Close up in nature" for more detailed info. He has a few sections on diopters and CU filters.

    I'm reading it myself too...

    Cheers.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Originally posted by eagles_creek
    Hihi,

    will i get the same result if i use a marco lens instead of using close-up filters?Or are they apples and oranges by comparison?

    Sorry guys,me super newbie here...but interested in marco.

    Thanks!
    It does depend on what sort of "macro lens" you're referring to.

    What tert discussed is applicable when you use SLR-type macro lens. There're also some high powered close-up filters which are sold as "macro lenses".
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Land of the woods........
    Posts
    1,360

    Default

    Originally posted by mpenza
    It does depend on what sort of "macro lens" you're referring to.

    What tert discussed is applicable when you use SLR-type macro lens. There're also some high powered close-up filters which are sold as "macro lenses".
    Hi tert,

    thanks for your help.

    That's a really useful site.....

    Hi mpenza,

    i am just referring to the normal ones.

    What do you think of Kenko marco lens(37mm)?

    Do you have any in mind that you think is good?Please recommend to me......Thanks!

    I would be fixing it with my lens adaptor which accepts 37mm thread size,but i guess i could use step-down/up rings if the thread size doesn't match rite?

    Please advise.

    Thanks alot for your help.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore (SengKang)
    Posts
    2,789

    Default

    With more close up filters, you have to get closer to the subject right ? How does anyone managed to get really close up pics of an insect without scaring it away ? Does using a telephoto convertor with a close up filter or macro len works ? Thanks
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

  10. #10

    Default

    Just received AP's e-quote...
    Canon 250D costs S$260!! Excluding GST!
    Is it THAT ex??

  11. #11

    Default

    Originally posted by Fella
    Just received AP's e-quote...
    Canon 250D costs S$260!! Excluding GST!
    Is it THAT ex??
    Quality products are more expensive. Don't be surprised.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore (SengKang)
    Posts
    2,789

    Default

    Originally posted by Fella
    Just received AP's e-quote...
    Canon 250D costs S$260!! Excluding GST!
    Is it THAT ex??
    I thought it was around 100+ which some people said it cost $145 ? I just sent a I-quotion to CP about it too. hehe
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

  13. #13

    Default

    Originally posted by mervlam
    Quality products are more expensive. Don't be surprised.
    Problem is I've read around and saw people quoting S$110-S$160 for brand new ones...

  14. #14

    Default

    Canon Singapore's suggesed retail price for Close-up lens 250D (58mm) - S$189

    http://www.canon.com.sg/index.cfm?fu...pe=accessories

    AP marked up so high...

  15. #15

    Default

    Originally posted by Fella
    Problem is I've read around and saw people quoting S$110-S$160 for brand new ones...
    hmmm..... i don't really know the cost price. unless AP thinks you are a "carrot-head".

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Originally posted by majere2sg
    With more close up filters, you have to get closer to the subject right ? How does anyone managed to get really close up pics of an insect without scaring it away ? Does using a telephoto convertor with a close up filter or macro len works ? Thanks
    Yes, you can stack a teleconverter with close-up filters - gives u more distance to work with. Take note though, adding more glasses in front of your lens degrades the image quality.

  17. #17

    Default

    Oh... just a tip... if you use more than one close-up filter, always stack the more powerful one nearer to the lens...

    Neo

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore (SengKang)
    Posts
    2,789

    Default

    I just got my Canon 250D from mscolor for $100.
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

  19. #19

    Default

    Originally posted by majere2sg
    I just got my Canon 250D from mscolor for $100.
    That is CHEAP!
    CP quoted me S$105 for 52mm and S$145 for 58mm w/o GST.
    Are you sure you got the 58mm?
    Any price for 500D

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore (SengKang)
    Posts
    2,789

    Default

    Originally posted by Fella
    That is CHEAP!
    CP quoted me S$105 for 52mm and S$145 for 58mm w/o GST.
    Are you sure you got the 58mm?
    Any price for 500D
    Of course I got the 58mm, otherwise I won't be able to use it
    I never asked for the 500D though. I bought a dry cabinet from them and maybe thats why I got it at $100 instead of $139 as stated on the box.
    -Express yourself not in words-
    http://www.majere2sg.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •