Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 51 of 51

Thread: How much would you pay for a model?

  1. #41

    Default Re: How much would you pay for a model?

    What's there to think about? It's all up to you, how much you are willing to pay, how much they are willing to accept, and how good both your bargaining skills are.

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Some foods for thought ....

    Who should command a higher rate (not necessarily as what $ you are willing to pay)?
    1. An experienced (as in able to pose and natural) part-timer model, vs a full-time, accredited (as in with a famous agency) average model?
    2. An average looking, accredited model vs a VERY good looking newbie model?
    3. A model before vs after she wins a beauty/model contest (and the skill is still intact, but not the reputation)?
    4. A model doing sexy(as in showing as much skin as in bikini or lingerie) fashion shoot, vs bikini shoot vs lingerie shoot?
    5. A part-time model (say a student) vs another part-time model (say a SIA girl)?

  2. #42

    Default Re: How much would you pay for a model?

    For TFCD/TFP models, I generally have to guide and direct the entire shoot. I will have to make sure they deliver. If I am paying, and the model cannot pose to save her life, I will call off the shoot. And I will NOT pay.

    Actually I disagree with this point, just my 2 cents worth for sharing.
    In all business and traits, we cannot guarantee that we will always get 100% what we ask and pay for. Same with photography, likewise for any other business.
    Even if after the shoot I feel the model totally CIM, I will still pay her for her time. At most I will just cut short the booking from 2hrs to say 1hr and say 'thank you very much.'
    I feel that is only professional and ethical.
    Same thing if i order a char kway tiao, just because the food is lousy dosen't mean I can dont pay right ??

  3. #43

    Default Re: How much would you pay for a model?

    Quote Originally Posted by de_stan View Post
    For TFCD/TFP models, I generally have to guide and direct the entire shoot. I will have to make sure they deliver. If I am paying, and the model cannot pose to save her life, I will call off the shoot. And I will NOT pay.

    Actually I disagree with this point, just my 2 cents worth for sharing.
    In all business and traits, we cannot guarantee that we will always get 100% what we ask and pay for. Same with photography, likewise for any other business.
    Even if after the shoot I feel the model totally CIM, I will still pay her for her time. At most I will just cut short the booking from 2hrs to say 1hr and say 'thank you very much.'
    I feel that is only professional and ethical.
    Same thing if i order a char kway tiao, just because the food is lousy dosen't mean I can dont pay right ??
    just extending the idea, but if the char kway tiao is not cooked properly, would you ask for it to be replaced?

    at the end of the day, if you want to be sure the model has certain standards, just get a model who has a good reputation with people you know or get from an agency... if info from friend you can complain about it to them... if from agency can complain/get compensation from agency...

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    560

    Default Re: How much would you pay for a model?

    Quote Originally Posted by de_stan View Post
    Just a question for discussion here.
    How much would you pay to shoot a model?
    I have come across models whose asking fee is $80 to $150 per hour depending on the theme of the shoot. But I have to question, how do they justify their rates?
    Does having a pretty face and sexy body mean they can charge more? But what kind of training did they have?
    Several of the models I shot cant pose to save their lives.
    I have to guide them to pose and even teach them on their facial expression, which usually dosent work. Then when the picture didnt turn out well...they would quietly say its the photographer lousy.
    I guess some of the blame does have to go to the photographer, but if Im paying top dollar for a model, is it too much to expect some standard from her?

    well.... thing is that how good can the model be to be charging $80 ? $80 for her time isnt alot.

    if you are expecting to pay low rate for top grade models. i am would call that exploiting.

    why....

    because we always talked about photographers under charging themselves. being exploited off. but why didnt someone speakup for the models of being exploited by members here or even photographers else where ?

  5. #45

    Default Re: How much would you pay for a model?

    Quote Originally Posted by raptor84 View Post
    Most of the time i just pay about $4 for a bag of treats....
    post of the year

  6. #46

    Default Re: How much would you pay for a model?

    Sometimes, it is the chemistry between the talent and the photographer that makes a model pop the question asking for photos. Many a time, I gave away a few hi res pictures which I thought were nice for them to keep. I have a soft heart at times and always feel it is just goodwill to give away the photos especially when it was a great shoot. I always thought I have nothing to lose.

    I do feel it though when my pictures are posted up for future shoots without credits or a one liner sms/email to inform me. Not something I can cry over since this is not my full time job, but I do feel it when the intent of an innocent request seemed to be otherwise.

    Anyway, reading this thread do help me to understand the logic better. Thanks for starting this thread and the sharing from the gurus here. But will I do it again? Perhaps I would, but with a watermark at least...

  7. #47

    Default Re: How much would you pay for a model?

    Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    Sometimes, it is the chemistry between the talent and the photographer that makes a model pop the question asking for photos. Many a time, I gave away a few hi res pictures which I thought were nice for them to keep. I have a soft heart at times and always feel it is just goodwill to give away the photos especially when it was a great shoot. I always thought I have nothing to lose.

    I do feel it though when my pictures are posted up for future shoots without credits or a one liner sms/email to inform me. Not something I can cry over since this is not my full time job, but I do feel it when the intent of an innocent request seemed to be otherwise.

    Anyway, reading this thread do help me to understand the logic better. Thanks for starting this thread and the sharing from the gurus here. But will I do it again? Perhaps I would, but with a watermark at least...
    Whether or not if you are working/fulltime photographer has nothing to do with giving away free photos. It's your creation but nobody knows it's done by you (unless you do not wish to be in the limelight) It's a nice gesture to give away photos but if there was one day your great work is being publish without your consent (plus the model and ad agency is earning $$$$$ but not you) be prepared to suck thumb lor.

    A lot of people has this misconception that it's only a photo. To us working photographers it's not "JUST A PHOTO" but a communication tool to reach out at certain audience who appreciate great work. Which in turn sells a model's face which again in turn she makes money because she is being marketed by a piece of art created by you.

    Not many understand some of us who are working photographers who are proud of our own creation. There are a lot of suckers out there because they think it's only a photo but until they realise it will be too late that the photos created by them actually has a certain face value. Still it's a personal choice to give out photos freely but if one do not understand how much his work is actually worth, then he is a sucker lor. Those who are none suckers who still give out free photos will know how much they are worth and I am pretty sure it's part of their marketing strategy to make their name more well known to the market.

    To some maybe just a hobby and passing by time to shoot pretty models but I would like to let those who are interested to become a fulltime/working photographers, they would need to appreciate their own work.

    So, the very least you all can do it at least have a watermark so the audience is not appreciating the model's face only but to all of you out there.

  8. #48

    Default Re: How much would you pay for a model?

    Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    Whether or not if you are working/fulltime photographer has nothing to do with giving away free photos. It's your creation but nobody knows it's done by you (unless you do not wish to be in the limelight) It's a nice gesture to give away photos but if there was one day your great work is being publish without your consent (plus the model and ad agency is earning $$$$$ but not you) be prepared to suck thumb lor.

    A lot of people has this misconception that it's only a photo. To us working photographers it's not "JUST A PHOTO" but a communication tool to reach out at certain audience who appreciate great work. Which in turn sells a model's face which again in turn she makes money because she is being marketed by a piece of art created by you.

    Not many understand some of us who are working photographers who are proud of our own creation. There are a lot of suckers out there because they think it's only a photo but until they realise it will be too late that the photos created by them actually has a certain face value. Still it's a personal choice to give out photos freely but if one do not understand how much his work is actually worth, then he is a sucker lor. Those who are none suckers who still give out free photos will know how much they are worth and I am pretty sure it's part of their marketing strategy to make their name more well known to the market.

    To some maybe just a hobby and passing by time to shoot pretty models but I would like to let those who are interested to become a fulltime/working photographers, they would need to appreciate their own work.

    So, the very least you all can do it at least have a watermark so the audience is not appreciating the model's face only but to all of you out there.
    It's not jsut the working pro who are proud of their work. Many amateurs are equally if not more proud of their creation.

    Giving your creation out free or not, is a choice. However, to give indiscriminately, regardless of quality, is a lack of respect to the photographer himself/herself and to the art. To data dump the raw files on the models is a sell out.
    Last edited by Deadpoet; 29th October 2007 at 01:11 PM.
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

  9. #49

    Default Re: How much would you pay for a model?

    .............
    Last edited by contaxable; 4th March 2008 at 09:27 PM.

  10. #50

    Default Re: How much would you pay for a model?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpoet View Post
    It's not jsut the working pro who are proud of their work. Many amateurs are equally if not more proud of their creation.

    Giving your creation out free or not, is a choice. However, to give indiscriminately, regardless of quality, is a lack of respect to the photographer himself/herself and to the art. To data dump the raw files on the models is a sell out.
    Well said bro. Amatuers should not feel because they are amatuers, they can't command good high quality photos to sell them. They have equal status with us when your photos is being seen by anybody that appreciate photography as a form of communication.

  11. #51

    Default Re: How much would you pay for a model?

    Quote Originally Posted by contaxable View Post
    Hey, thanks for sharing. Learn something new everyday. Copyright is something taken lightly here in singapore. There was once a very big usa bank (citi something) here who took my company photos for their brochure. When contacted, they blamed it on a third party who put the graphics for them. And this bank had no tie up with my company whatsoever. I was really dumfounded as my franchisee paid professionals to make the food shots, only to end up in a bank flyer to promote their credit card promotion. Worse was, there was no credit mention and the bank used the flyer to promote products of our competitor.

    Now thats a direct flaunt of copyright by a global bank, but was not my concern then as I was not the owner of picture.
    The problem with Singapore is because MOST people do not know about copyright infringement. Until their a** get burn, then they will know that what copyright world is all about.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •