Thread: HELP! Auto Focus not working

Default HELP! Auto Focus not working

Just bought my Nikon D80 2 weeks ago with kit lens. Got a problem with Auto focus...even though i set it to "A" on lens, and "AF" at camera. When i try to shoot pic in any mode...the autofocusing is not working...anyone can help? thanks in advance!

Default Re: HELP! Auto Focus not working

...did you put details at the af points?

if your af point selected is pointing at a smooth white surface, even the most expensive camera and best lens will not find anything to focus on

hmmmm sounds like a trip to nsc..
    maybe u can try unmount the lens and mount again or try with another lens?

I tried to reset at custom setting, tried take out lens and tried focus at different areas with different zoom & different modes...all failed! I can only manually adjust it for it to work. it was still working 2 days ago...wonder what cause it to fail suddenly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemoneko View Post
    I tried to reset at custom setting, tried take out lens and tried focus at different areas with different zoom & different modes...all failed! I can only manually adjust it for it to work. it was still working 2 days ago...wonder what cause it to fail suddenly.
    ok, go to repair centre liao

u got other friends owning nikon DSLR to test the lens for u ( just to double confirm)
    http://www.dreamstime.com/Ionsoon_info
    So much Creativity So much Technology

Try unmount and mount your lens again and make sure you hear the click sound. If you don't hear the click, most likely it won't autofocus.

Just a stupid question. Did you check if the lens is set to AF or MF? Perhaps it was accidentally set to MF?

Member/Tangshooter

there is another switch for selecting AF-S, AF-C, and M mode on the body itself..make sure its set to AF-S, this will ensure u get focus lock and confirmation beep..if u r on AF-C u should still be able to focus, but no focus confirmation beep..if u r on M, then u can oni manual focus, even if ur lens is set to A or M/A..
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Quote Originally Posted by blazer_workz View Post
    there is another switch for selecting AF-S, AF-C, and M mode on the body itself..make sure its set to AF-S, this will ensure u get focus lock and confirmation beep..if u r on AF-C u should still be able to focus, but no focus confirmation beep..if u r on M, then u can oni manual focus, even if ur lens is set to A or M/A..
    On the D80, it is a hard switch by the side of the lens that switches AF/MF. The TS has already checked this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemoneko View Post
    Just bought my Nikon D80 2 weeks ago with kit lens. Got a problem with Auto focus...even though i set it to "A" on lens, and "AF" at camera. When i try to shoot pic in any mode...the autofocusing is not working...anyone can help? thanks in advance!
    The other selector via button is switching between AF-S, AF-C and AF-A. That should not affect the AF.

I suspect the SWM of the kit lens is giving problem.

BC