Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Repair shop for Canon Flash

  1. #1
    Senior Member wranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    UK | TWN
    Posts
    3,477

    Default Repair shop for Canon Flash

    Hi,

    There was a loud "POP" sound from the flash and the flash was dead during my client wedding shoot. Anyone know where can I sent my Canon 580EX for repair beside Canon Service Centre. Flash is 13 months old.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PunggolJetty.Com
    Posts
    867

    Default Re: Repair shop for Canon Flash

    You could try The Camera Workshop (TCW) at Peninsular.

  3. #3
    Senior Member wranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    UK | TWN
    Posts
    3,477

    Default Re: Repair shop for Canon Flash

    Quote Originally Posted by ykia View Post
    You could try The Camera Workshop (TCW) at Peninsular.
    Will give it a try. Thanks.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Repair shop for Canon Flash

    What would be the cost for a flash bulb replacement?
    Nikon D40X + Sigma 18-200mm OS HSM

  5. #5
    Senior Member wranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    UK | TWN
    Posts
    3,477

    Default Re: Repair shop for Canon Flash

    Quote Originally Posted by coolride View Post
    What would be the cost for a flash bulb replacement?
    That is a good question. Anybody did a replacement of the flash bulb before?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    PunggolJetty.Com
    Posts
    867

    Default Re: Repair shop for Canon Flash

    Quote Originally Posted by wranger View Post
    That is a good question. Anybody did a replacement of the flash bulb before?
    Might want to be careful doing the repair DIY... The capacitor stores a huge amount of charge and can give you a nasty burn if not discharged properly.

  7. #7
    Senior Member wranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    UK | TWN
    Posts
    3,477

    Default Re: Repair shop for Canon Flash

    Quote Originally Posted by ykia View Post
    Might want to be careful doing the repair DIY... The capacitor stores a huge amount of charge and can give you a nasty burn if not discharged properly.
    Thanks for your advise.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Repair shop for Canon Flash

    most likely is one of the capacitors in it has exploded. So if u can diy yourself only cost u a few cents only.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Repair shop for Canon Flash

    Quote Originally Posted by SRWEE View Post
    most likely is one of the capacitors in it has exploded. So if u can diy yourself only cost u a few cents only.
    If you DIY, if u get shock, you will get the biggest "kick" in your life! I tried once on my slave flash by accidently touching the legs of the circuit board and it had sparks on my hand and a loud PAK sound and some fireworks!! my hand is blown with a "chao tar" burn mark and it's hellll pain!! Dont try it at "home"!!

    if you are feeling sian/sleepy you can try it! it can wake you up instantly!!

  10. #10
    Senior Member wranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    UK | TWN
    Posts
    3,477

    Default Re: Repair shop for Canon Flash

    Quote Originally Posted by junkai21 View Post
    If you DIY, if u get shock, you will get the biggest "kick" in your life! I tried once on my slave flash by accidently touching the legs of the circuit board and it had sparks on my hand and a loud PAK sound and some fireworks!! my hand is blown with a "chao tar" burn mark and it's hellll pain!! Dont try it at "home"!!

    if you are feeling sian/sleepy you can try it! it can wake you up instantly!!

    Thanks for the advise.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    998

    Default Re: Repair shop for Canon Flash

    try to get a quote from P&G photographic center at the basement of adelphi. your can decide if you still want to DIY.
    professional repair work might would be safer and less troublesome for you.

  12. #12
    Senior Member wranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    UK | TWN
    Posts
    3,477

    Default Re: Repair shop for Canon Flash

    Quote Originally Posted by nikkie View Post
    try to get a quote from P&G photographic center at the basement of adelphi. your can decide if you still want to DIY.
    professional repair work might would be safer and less troublesome for you.
    Thanks. Will do that.

  13. #13
    Senior Member fatigue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: Repair shop for Canon Flash

    You just need to discharge the capacitor to avoid the electric shock.
    I am using a 10kOhms resistor to discharge the capacitor for a few seconds.
    You can use a lower resistance value to speed up the discharge but must use a higher wattage rating.
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

  14. #14
    Senior Member wranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    UK | TWN
    Posts
    3,477

    Default Re: Repair shop for Canon Flash

    Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post
    You just need to discharge the capacitor to avoid the electric shock.
    I am using a 10kOhms resistor to discharge the capacitor for a few seconds.
    You can use a lower resistance value to speed up the discharge but must use a higher wattage rating.
    Thanks for the advise

  15. #15
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    a little dot in singapore
    Posts
    1,699

    Default Re: Repair shop for Canon Flash

    was there when it happned , he did a good job with the picutres

  16. #16
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    a little dot in singapore
    Posts
    1,699

    Default Re: Repair shop for Canon Flash

    bro i remember there a guy in cs doing repair

  17. #17
    Senior Member wranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    UK | TWN
    Posts
    3,477

    Default Re: Repair shop for Canon Flash

    Quote Originally Posted by generalsales View Post
    bro i remember there a guy in cs doing repair
    Who...Who

  18. #18
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    a little dot in singapore
    Posts
    1,699

    Default Re: Repair shop for Canon Flash

    nick - fatigue

  19. #19
    Senior Member fatigue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: Repair shop for Canon Flash

    Quote Originally Posted by wranger View Post
    That is a good question. Anybody did a replacement of the flash bulb before?
    I don't think you have a busted flash bulb. The symptoms of a busted flash bulb are:
    1. Flash can power up
    2. You can hear the charging noise
    3. Pilot lamp/Ready lamp/charge indicator lamp could still light up
    4. Flash don't fire even at manual firing.

    Here are some cautions besides discharging the capacitor:
    1. Take care of the plastic catch when opening the flash case, it easily breaks.
    2. Don't touch the to silver reflector that house the flash bulb, it will leave permanent finger prints if you do
    3. Make sure to maintain the wire harness in it's original position, or else, you could not close the casing properly
    Last edited by fatigue; 4th November 2007 at 03:42 PM. Reason: grammar
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

  20. #20
    Senior Member wranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    UK | TWN
    Posts
    3,477

    Default Re: Repair shop for Canon Flash

    Quote Originally Posted by fatigue View Post
    I don't think you have a busted flash bulb. The symptom of a busted flash bulb is:
    1. Flash can power up
    2. You can hear the charging noise
    3. Pilot lamp/Ready lamp/charge indicator lamp could still light up
    4. Flash don't fire even at manual firing.

    Here are some cautions besides discharging the capacitor:
    1. Take care of the plastic catch when opening the flash case, it easily breaks.
    2. Don't touch the to silver reflector that house the flash bulb, it will leave permanent finger prints if you do
    3. Make sure to maintain the wire harness in it's original position, or else, you could not close the casing properly
    Hey Bro,

    Are you able to do the repair for me.

    PM me your quote. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •