Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Adobe Photoshop vs Adobe Photoshop Elements

  1. #1

    Default Adobe Photoshop vs Adobe Photoshop Elements

    Hi,

    After self learning on the basic fundamentals of photography, i intend to start to self learn on the photo postproduction imaging using adobe photoshop but i just can't understand :

    The difference between Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Photoshop elements.

    Are they the simmilar program but different vesions? I tried reading on them but i got much more confused.

    Are there any resources on how to use them?

    Which one is better?

  2. #2
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Adobe Photoshop vs Adobe Photoshop Elements

    Quote Originally Posted by skatanic View Post
    Hi,

    After self learning on the basic fundamentals of photography, i intend to start to self learn on the photo postproduction imaging using adobe photoshop but i just can't understand :

    The difference between Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Photoshop elements.

    Are they the simmilar program but different vesions? I tried reading on them but i got much more confused.

    Are there any resources on how to use them?

    Which one is better?
    Elements is the stripped down version. Cheaper and simpler to handle. But it lacks precise controls in certain areas such as curves, etc...

    So choose what you need, simple editing tools or a more complex, do all type version e.g. CS.

    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  3. #3

    Default Re: Adobe Photoshop vs Adobe Photoshop Elements

    Quote Originally Posted by skatanic View Post
    Hi,

    After self learning on the basic fundamentals of photography, i intend to start to self learn on the photo postproduction imaging using adobe photoshop but i just can't understand :

    The difference between Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Photoshop elements.

    Are they the simmilar program but different vesions? I tried reading on them but i got much more confused.

    Are there any resources on how to use them?

    Which one is better?
    No there are not the same..

    Photoshop element is consider a elementary version, where by photoshop is the full complex version. get the full version and u wouldn't go wrong.
    its the best photo editing software i find.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Adobe Photoshop vs Adobe Photoshop Elements

    Photoshop was never meant to be a photo post processing tool. It's used for editing and creating digital media. This means if you want to make your photographs creative, adding text or images, then use photoshop. Possibilities are endless which also means there will be a learning curve to produce certain desired effects.

    However, i think you just require processing software to make your photos darker, lighter, enhance shadow, curves, contrast, brightness, saturation, hue etc.

    If you want processing software for Photographs, use dedicated programs like Adobe Lightroom.
    photographs
    Nikon D200 | Konica Hexar RF

  5. #5

    Default Re: Adobe Photoshop vs Adobe Photoshop Elements

    Best is to download a trial copy of both and see which one suit your needs as the price is hell of alot different.

    Just switch over from Paintshop Pro XII to Photoshop Element 6. Although Element has lesser function, it's less buggy. My Paintshop Pro screen keep fickling... Dunno why?? And still unable to read FZ18 raw file...

  6. #6
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Adobe Photoshop vs Adobe Photoshop Elements

    Quote Originally Posted by ddwmk2002 View Post
    Best is to download a trial copy of both and see which one suit your needs as the price is hell of alot different.

    Just switch over from Paintshop Pro XII to Photoshop Element 6. Although Element has lesser function, it's less buggy. My Paintshop Pro screen keep fickling... Dunno why?? And still unable to read FZ18 raw file...
    Lack of RAW plugin support?
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  7. #7

    Default Re: Adobe Photoshop vs Adobe Photoshop Elements

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Lack of RAW plugin support?
    It does support raw but unfortunately, not all camera... i found the ans to my question here:

    http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/d...p+pro+photo+x2

  8. #8

    Default Re: Adobe Photoshop vs Adobe Photoshop Elements

    can i also add borders and text on adobe photoshop elements?

    are there any simple tutorial on the net on both photoshop CS and adobe photoshop elements?
    tried to find it on the net but all seems too complicated.....

  9. #9
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Adobe Photoshop vs Adobe Photoshop Elements

    Quote Originally Posted by skatanic View Post
    can i also add borders and text on adobe photoshop elements?

    are there any simple tutorial on the net on both photoshop CS and adobe photoshop elements?
    tried to find it on the net but all seems too complicated.....
    Yes, you can do so. By means of increasing canvas size and using the text tool.

    There are plenty of such tutorials, do a search on google. Else look for books...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Upp Bt Timah
    Posts
    713

    Default Re: Adobe Photoshop vs Adobe Photoshop Elements

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Yes, you can do so. By means of increasing canvas size and using the text tool.

    There are plenty of such tutorials, do a search on google. Else look for books...
    Infact, you can search the web for ready made photoshop action to do that.
    Personally I have been using photoshop CS3 and I never look back since. It is a fabulous software and I am still exploring.
    5DMKIiI|24-105f4L|50f1.4|70-200f2.8L|400f5.6L
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/raymond101/

  11. #11

    Default Re: Adobe Photoshop vs Adobe Photoshop Elements

    Okey... I've managed to find a few tutorial but the confusing part to me was where do I start? Too many controls.... I've tried exploring photoshop CS myself and it's a disaster and I don't even know what I'm doing. Where do u guys recommend me to start off with...

  12. #12

    Default Re: Adobe Photoshop vs Adobe Photoshop Elements

    As a newbie myself, I'm also diving to learn Elements and CS2/CS3. If I find that my self tutorial is not enough, get some courses. There are announcements of such here. Not only you can ask questions in a course/workshop, but you network with fellow participants for more tips.

  13. #13
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Adobe Photoshop vs Adobe Photoshop Elements

    Where do you start... hmmm

    Let's see, what are the normal controls required for touch up of photos? This would be the starting point I suppose.

    You'd need to learn more about clone tool, healing brushes, how to select the picture using different tools, how to use curves, levels, etc... this would be a start.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  14. #14

    Default Re: Adobe Photoshop vs Adobe Photoshop Elements

    Quote Originally Posted by stockton View Post
    As a newbie myself, I'm also diving to learn Elements and CS2/CS3. If I find that my self tutorial is not enough, get some courses. There are announcements of such here. Not only you can ask questions in a course/workshop, but you network with fellow participants for more tips.
    courses expensive lah.... unless got free lesson then i dun mind... hehehe....

  15. #15

    Default Re: Adobe Photoshop vs Adobe Photoshop Elements

    Quote Originally Posted by skatanic View Post
    can i also add borders and text on adobe photoshop elements?

    are there any simple tutorial on the net on both photoshop CS and adobe photoshop elements?
    tried to find it on the net but all seems too complicated.....
    i think it's best that u get those reference books to pick up the basics. from my own experience thus far, there are stuff that books can teach u that the average user often drops when imparting skills to u (the tool or tip may be useless to them but useful to u, n may save u time).

    these books are normally not that cheap, costing in excess of $40 or $50. if u're on a tight budget, borrow them from the national libraries. they have tons of reference books.
    Trust me, I'm not so bad! | TangShooters

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •