Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What aperture to select for landscape?

Default Re: What aperture to select for landscape?

Quote Originally Posted by 2.8photography View Post
    depends on the focal length and object to sensor distance

ive used 12mm at f/4 (wide open) and the whole image was sharp, as long as focus was anything 1m to infinity
    How bout this? How can I do something liddat at f/4? Anyone have example pics? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by artofshuenalogy View Post
    How bout this? How can I do something liddat at f/4? Anyone have example pics? Thanks!
    I used 24mm @ f/4 to shoot landscape in the night, the buildings are all on the same plane, the photo still look sharp, i am separated from the buildings by a wide road and i can capture cars moving. I can even convert the photos to 4368 x 2912 pixels with reasonable sharpness as well. =)

Quote Originally Posted by xunjas View Post
    I used 24mm @ f/4 to shoot landscape in the night, the buildings are all on the same plane, the photo still look sharp, i am separated from the buildings by a wide road and i can capture cars moving. I can even convert the photos to 4368 x 2912 pixels with reasonable sharpness as well. =)
    Mind posting the photo for us to take a look bro?

Quote Originally Posted by ykia View Post
    Yup! And if you need to make the sea/river/waterfall look "silky", you need a really sloow shutter speed, thus forcing you to have a small aperture.
    Not really true. Most people use/stack multiple ND filters.
    a single ND100 will lose you 6 stops of light, you can shoot at F2.8 what others need to shoot at F16.

-double post-

It's pretty much lens dependent. There's always a distance for "infinity" focus. Wide angle lenses, normally very close. NORMALLY anything more than that distance (e.g. 3meters) is considered infinity, and thus will be sharp/ in focus.

Try capture something at say 1.5m away together with the buildings. I can assure you that you won't be able to get either of them in focus.

For the photo by artofshuenalogy, it's the same, you didn't take note of the distance to infinity. the flowers/forground is probably closer than that distance. Next time zoom in so that everything in the frame is far enough (check the infinity focus distance for your lens), and you'll find the things all in relative sharp focus.

Problem with wide angles is, they tend to capture the floor in front of you. That floor, less than a couple of meters away, will be out of focus as compared to the object say 30m away. With such a big difference, you'll need as small an aperture as you can, and take note of hyperfocal distance so you "sacrifice" some sharpness from the background to allow the foreground to be "more in focus".

Quote Originally Posted by cancan7 View Post
    hi,

I shot some night scenes recently, and not being sure what aperture value to choose, I shot in Landscape and P mode.

I've read in Popular photography(June 07) suggesting a f/11 aperture to shoot landscape. Is this a good aperture value to use for general purpose, or should is it pertaining only to certain lens?

I'm a bit confused because by right, to have the most detail in the whole picture, we should select the deepest depth of field(like f/22?), as long as we're using a tripod, isn't it so?

Thanks
    For me, night landscape photography will be f/16 - f/22, iso 100-200, shutter-speed depends. And manual focus! Believe me, it is not always at focus infinity to get everything sharp. As such best it to do manual focus on tripod and remote trigger.
    Visit me at my studio: http://www.studiospace.com.sg

Mind posting the photo for us to take a look bro?
    This is a photo -

This is a photo -
    ic...thanks alot. That's 3m~infinity I supposed? So it's still possible to shoot at small f/no. and get sharp pictures throughout the picture? If one can shoot at f/4 and achieve reasonable sharp picture throughout, why do people bother to use large f/no. such as f/11 if the (foreground not in focused due to wide angle lens) thing doesn't apply ie : The >3m ground is not shown. Would it make the photo significantly sharper? Thanks.

I think the building distance also need to take into consideration. Cos I try to shoot the Woodlands Causeway from my relative's home at 15th floor. I tot using widest opeding f is correct aperture but I could not get a sharp image for the buildings across the sea. Later on I made some readings, its true that larger f no will improve the dof.
    Last edited by sanfong; 26th December 2007 at 11:19 PM.

ic...thanks alot. That's 3m~infinity I supposed? So it's still possible to shoot at small f/no. and get sharp pictures throughout the picture? If one can shoot at f/4 and achieve reasonable sharp picture throughout, why do people bother to use large f/no. such as f/11 if the (foreground not in focused due to wide angle lens) thing doesn't apply ie : The >3m ground is not shown. Would it make the photo significantly sharper? Thanks.
    The foreground is blur from the motion of the cars, not really an aperture issue per se

The background of course will be much sharper if u nail it at smaller apertures like 8 or 11 for example. With a wider angle, u might be able to just get away with a bigger aperture with some sharpening, but i would not recommend that ( I am not implying that wider angle lenses have greater dof btw .. )

Ryan

its not just DOF that landscaper are trying to achieve, f8-11 is also the optimal for most lens on a DX in terms of optical quality... and yes, very often we might do shot that frames more ground than sky...

1 i took sometime back with the main focus on the rocks which is just 0.5m away

for this picture, i am about 10m away from the buildings and the AF on the buildings. Hence, the photo still reasonable sharp. If i shoot a round table shot, f/4 may not be enough as the people standing at the sides would be abit unsharp or soft.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123