Thread: Your contingency plan for no-show

Default Your contingency plan for no-show

What if for some reason or other (think emergency, accident, etc) you are not able to show up at the venue for an assignment. And this assignment cannot be postponed, for example an AD wedding coverage or a D&D event.

This is of course assuming you are able to make a phone-call at least, and you not being in an unconscious state. You have a lead time of 30 minutes or less.

What would you do?

Default Re: Your contingency plan for no-show

You can call me to shoot.
    Canon EOS 66 | Kit Lens | Leung Sheung Wing Chun Singapore

have a List of friends whom u know is trustworthy enough to do the job well , next thing , call them

Ok, other than contacting friends/associates?

Assuming there is no help available. Do you have a clause in your contract that limits liability?

Any other plans that you may have? I'd like to hear

My curiosity was piqued after I heard of a couple pursuing damages of a great amount after a no-show (although I am not sure of the circumstances around why the photog did not turn up)

One of the pitfalls of shooting AD weddings. You have to shoot it even though you have running nose, sore throat and a 38 deg fever (whack Paracetamol every 4hrs, never mind your kidneys, unless you can tahan it!).

I have not pulled a very urgent last min no-show, but once i was hospitalised for food poisoning and I called Joho to shoot an event. Luckily it was weekday and not hot period.

Similar scenarios, couples call to complain why this shot blur and that shot over expose, why not PJ style one, why so lousy, etc etc. May or may not be your fault. Some couples just wanna find fault and expect 100% perfection.

What I recommend is pre-emptively give them money after you realise that negotiations is not going anywhere. Small or big amt depends on situation. For no-show, put it in your terms that you will look for suitable replacements (be it more expensive or less expensive than your charges, similarly for quality), but in case this fails you will compensate half of your package charges + deposit returned.

This avoids your repu being tarnished by them say in the forums.

Be wary of doing those express edit of slideshows or for VG express highlights. Once a couple pursued both a $200 discount as well as $350 payment for the AV projector, DVD player and screen, because the VG was late trying to fix the Express (technical difficulties) and in the end the rendered clip was not playable on the VG's notebook (notebook could be project). Usually it shd be on DVD, every ready and done.

So everything need to cover ass. Offer compensation, pay first, before they open their mouth. (and if they are ngeow, you are so very dead)

Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    Ok, other than contacting friends/associates?

Assuming there is no help available. Do you have a clause in your contract that limits liability?

Any other plans that you may have? I'd like to hear

My curiosity was piqued after I heard of a couple pursuing damages of a great amount after a no-show (although I am not sure of the circumstances around why the photog did not turn up)
    Hello,

You have answered your own question. =)

The clause in your signed contract is the probably the best thing to do. Most photogs will limit liability to returning the deposit or non-payment. Otherwise, it's a no holds barred situation where the couple/company can sue for emotional distress. The court/lawyer fees are enough to sink a small business.

Best regards
    Wesley

"Houston...we have a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by wesley View Post
    Hello,

The clause in your signed contract is the probably the best thing to do. Most photogs will limit liability to returning the deposit or non-payment. Otherwise, it's a no holds barred situation where the couple/company can sue for emotional distress. The court/lawyer fees are enough to sink a small business.

Best regards
    Wesley
    These were the things that my lawyer advised us when he drafted the service agreement.

All wedding photographers should have the clause on warranty/limited liability in their contract/service agreement. But do note that if you forgot about the wedding or the no-show is due to your own neglience (e.g. you were drunk), they can still sue you. There's no such thing as water tight clauses.

vince123123
    Guests

It is probably better to pursue a cause of action under breach of contract as a claim based on emotional distress is not often easily substantiated.

Quote Originally Posted by wesley View Post
    Hello,

Best regards
    Wesley

Maybe some of the photogs here can setup an "insurance scheme" for all other photogs who subscribe to this insurance scheme.

Here's how it works:

Assume 4 full time photogs start up a "Photographers Handling Emergency Work" (PHEW) service contract.

If there is a 1 out of 20 chance that a photog CANNOT make it for the AD shoot, theoretically these 4 PHEW shooters can cover 4X20=80 other shooters. Just to be safe, they cover only 60 other shooters, just in case one of the PHEW shooter also no show.

If 60 photogs subscribe to this service contract, and each pay $250 per month to buy this "insurance" cover, the PHEW photogs will earn 60X$250=$15,000 per month or $3,750 per PHEW shooter per month.

The PHEW shooter can further charge a $250 "event cover fee" when he covers the original shooter, thus making his potential monthly earnings $4,000, which is quite decent for a living. Of course the original photog keeps the rest of the AD package fee from the client.

Of course there needs to be T&Cs to ensure that customer gets a professional job etc, etc.

So if assuming that the earning of a wedding photog is about $5000 per month, for $250/$5,000=5% each month, you buy peace of mind that a team of PHEWs will zoom in to cover for you at last moment.

{phew!}

ykia: wow you sure are creative but to be on 1-NTM for 365 days a year, it is quite tiring leh

2100: hey there future neighbour Thanks for your input

wesley: thanks
    Last edited by Yatlapball; 24th October 2007 at 10:54 PM.

Haha! Thanks!

But if you work out the stats...
    - About 5 out of 12 months, either zero or one PHEW photog will be activated per month.
    - About 6 out of 12 months, either 2 or 3 will be activated per month.
    - About 1 out of 12 months, all 4 will be activated.
    Only once in 4 years on average will you need more than 4 PHEW photog to be activated.
    By the time you need 7 photogs to cover, it will be once in 16 years on average.

Hint: Use XL and insert 60 random numbers ranging 1~20 and see how many hit "1" over a 12 month period.

Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    ykia: wow you sure are creative but to be on 1-NTM for 365 days a year, it is quite tiring leh

2100: hey there future neighbour Thanks for your input

wesley: thanks
    Last edited by ykia; 24th October 2007 at 11:15 PM.