Thread: Recommend a Point and Shoot film camera?

Default Recommend a Point and Shoot film camera?

Am looking to buy one for the older generation (OG) use. Perhaps something that goes up to 130 or 150 zoom. Thinking of getting this for my mom, so some help appreciated. This will be for her travelling, Karaoke functions, birthdays, etc...

Thanks!

Hello, if you are looking for 2nd hand, I got this Pentax for sale at $200. Free delivery to anywhere in Singapore.

Detail:
    Pentax Espio 115G
    Features:
    38mm-115mm zoom
    Auto focus with focus lock
    Auto exposure
    Red eye reduction
    Date back
    Panorama mode
    Self-timer

the olympus range of mju zooms are good....
    bought a mju II 4 years back... still going strong
    web | blog | fb | ig

when buying cameras for the older generation, you might like to consider the cameras with big viewfinders.

Yashica T Zoom

Originally posted by Larry
    Yashica T Zoom
    Second that!

Default Re: Recommend a Point and Shoot film camera?

Originally posted by fruitybix
    Am looking to buy one for the older generation (OG) use. Perhaps something that goes up to 130 or 150 zoom. Thinking of getting this for my mom, so some help appreciated. This will be for her travelling, Karaoke functions, birthdays, etc...

Thanks!
    Pentax has a new compact 24W that zooms from superwide 24mm to 105 mm. Not a bad range at all. Great for wide angle freaks.

its not digital.
    Last edited by tdq007; 4th May 2003 at 02:18 AM.

I feel that the Yashica T Zoom performed very poorly when used indoors with flash. Also, you will have to use fast film i.e. ISO 400 at least. Shots taken in bright daylight look fine. Doesn't harm to use fill flash.

Originally posted by Parchiao
    I feel that the Yashica T Zoom performed very poorly when used indoors with flash. Also, you will have to use fast film i.e. ISO 400 at least. Shots taken in bright daylight look fine. Doesn't harm to use fill flash.
    erm, doesn't most PnS cams performly poorly in indoor situations with flash, since they all have those tinsy winsy built-in flashes? i've tried using 800ISO film with my Yashica indoors before (not in those extremely dim places though, some moderately bright places) and the results were ok.

Hmm, seem there is a steady following for the Yashica. I will be checking that out. besides the T zoom, are there any other brands out there? I have looked at the Nikon 140 (i think), and it is using ED glass, would that be a good alternative? thanks guys!!

Default Re: Recommend a Point and Shoot film camera?

Originally posted by fruitybix

Thanks!

PnS for older generations.... If she mind carrying a big camera, get the Olympus mjuII fix lens camera. It fit nicly into her handbag but only concern is the viewfinder might not be suitable for those who wear specs...

Good points is 2.8 lens with iso400/800 film gives good indoor results.

IMHO, fix lens is better for older generation as one less thing to think about when framing for a shot.

If you need a bigger viewfinder, try the Canon Big Finder series..

The let down of the Yashica T zoom stems from the very slow speed of the lens (f4.5 -8). I did not really care about how I used it, as such I may have been asking too much fom the camera. The thing that irked me about this camera was that indoor photos at the widest aperture with flash was only so so, not very bad, but just not good enough.

This link will bring you to a new camera that sounds very interesting. Although the zoom is not as much, what counts would be the lens speed. The wider angle coupled with the fast lens speed may be pretty useful indoors too, and more interestingly, how the flash works with a 24mm lens.

http://www.fujinon.co.jp/jp/info/inf115/silvi.html

http://home.fujifilm.com/photokina20...df/ob_213e.pdf

BTW, a fixed lens with flash tends to be better. I had the APS film Canon L-1 plus 28mm f2.8 lens sometime back and it performed pretty well (just lousy film). The Olympus mju is a good choice for a PnS. Whatever PnS you have, just watch out for red eye.

it does look interesting. if the lens is as sharp as the T Zoom, I may get it (to complement my main camera) and sell off the T Zoom....
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

hey folks, how about the Yahica T4? it is a 28-70mm, i think, and is the only one Yahica with Carl Zeiss tessar lens.

Oh, and thanks for the input guys!

I believe the T zoom mentioned is the T4 zoom..

Fyi.. equotes from CP dated 23 Apr when I was helping my friend to source for a PnS cam.. prices excludes 4% gst..

1) Olympus IS-500_ @ S$435.00
    2) Yashica T4 Zoom_ @ S$315.00
    4) Pentax 105 SW_ @ S$320.00

In the end my friend bought the Olympus IS-500 from a fellow forum member for $260.. It's a much bigger cam, but she willing to try it out if the photos can turn out better..