Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Thread: Singapore Exercises Option for Additional F-15SGs

  1. #1

    Default Singapore Exercises Option for Additional F-15SGs

    SINGAPORE EXERCISES OPTION FOR ADDITIONAL F-15SGS
    In December 2005 the Ministry of Defence announced the purchase of an initial 12 Boeing F-15SG fighter aircraft to replace the Republic of Singapore Airforce (RSAF)'s A-4 Skyhawk fighters. The Ministry of Defence has, on 22nd October 2007, exercised the option to purchase eight more F-15SG fighters which was part of the original contract signed in December 2005. Along with this buy, an additional order for four F-15SGs was made.

    This acquisition of 12 more F-15SGs is part of the RSAF's continuing effort to renew its fighter fleet. The additional F-15SGs, which will be equipped with sophisticated avionics and weapon systems, will be delivered from 2010.
    This will bring the total order to 24 F-15SGs.

    1 complete squadron!!!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Singapore Exercises Option for Additional F-15SGs

    Quote Originally Posted by Klose View Post
    This will bring the total order to 24 F-15SGs.

    1 complete squadron!!!
    Eh.... Is it enough?

  3. #3

    Default Re: Singapore Exercises Option for Additional F-15SGs

    Quote Originally Posted by ZDragon View Post
    Eh.... Is it enough?
    USAF F-15E Squadrons are 21 Active and 3 Spares.

    We are a small country. 24 of these and our fleet of >60 F-16C/Ds Blk52 and >40 F-5S/Ts are suffcient.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    A village in a forest
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: Singapore Exercises Option for Additional F-15SGs

    There will definitely be more purchases from our RSAF. F5 is going to be retired soon, so there is a need for more aircraft to replace them. Anyway buy so many aircrafts also no use, are there enough pilots for all the aircrafts.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

  5. #5

    Default Re: Singapore Exercises Option for Additional F-15SGs

    Quote Originally Posted by Klose View Post
    USAF F-15E Squadrons are 21 Active and 3 Spares.

    We are a small country. 24 of these and our fleet of >60 F-16C/Ds Blk52 and >40 F-5S/Ts are suffcient.

    LOL.. yes. So many fighter jets but no air space to fly.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Singapore Exercises Option for Additional F-15SGs

    Quote Originally Posted by ZDragon View Post
    Eh.... Is it enough?
    24 Eagles, 62 Falcons, 45 Tigers (at least according to Wikipedia).

    I think what are really short of are dedicated Bombers, stealth recon & stealth bombers instead of Multi-role fighters.
    Shld take out the Skyhawks completely and replace it with a dedicated Long Ranged Recon Stealth Bomber based overseas.

    Of cos, having like another 20 Apaches or like 10 Thunderbolts in place of commissioning another 3 or 4 Infantry Battalions would be good too.
    1 Apache/Thunderbolt have an equivalent firepower of almost a full Infantry Battalion. Woot.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Singapore Exercises Option for Additional F-15SGs

    Quote Originally Posted by ZDragon View Post
    LOL.. yes. So many fighter jets but no air space to fly.
    Not all are based in Singapore IIRC.

    Sigh.... the other night I was dreaming of the A10 Warthog. Wonder when would it be before RSAF gets like half a squadron of tank busters.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Singapore Exercises Option for Additional F-15SGs

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    Not all are based in Singapore IIRC.

    Sigh.... the other night I was dreaming of the A10 Warthog. Wonder when would it be before RSAF gets like half a squadron of tank busters.
    for a small country like us... isn't it better to get apache? Perhaps we should get the Commanche Oso. It's Stealth.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Singapore Exercises Option for Additional F-15SGs

    Quote Originally Posted by kelccm View Post
    There will definitely be more purchases from our RSAF. F5 is going to be retired soon, so there is a need for more aircraft to replace them. Anyway buy so many aircrafts also no use, are there enough pilots for all the aircrafts.
    The F-5S/Ts will most likely be earmarked for replacement by the F-35s.

    I foresee that the T-50 Golden Eagle Purchase will be listed as T-50 jets but most likely A-50 airframes. Something similar to our F-16A/B Blk 15 purchase in the 80s where the airframes were actually Blk 30s. However, this will be replacements for the S211s and A4s in the AJT Programme.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Singapore Exercises Option for Additional F-15SGs

    Quote Originally Posted by ZDragon View Post
    for a small country like us... isn't it better to get apache? Perhaps we should get the Commanche Oso. It's Stealth.
    The AH-64s are primarily for CAS, we need air superiority to control the skies.

    The RAH-66 Comanche project has been canned since 2004.

    The ARH-70 replaces some of the intended of roles of the RAH-66.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Singapore Exercises Option for Additional F-15SGs

    Quote Originally Posted by ZDragon View Post
    for a small country like us... isn't it better to get apache? Perhaps we should get the Commanche Oso. It's Stealth.
    That time they were contemplating between the Eurocopter Tiger (the same heli in 007's Goldeneye) and the Apache Longbow (ours are the longbow version right? I remember seeing the Radome on it). The Tiger had stealth abilities but RSAF din want it as they wanted something combat proven.

    Well, the Warthogs combat success rate are like 97%?

    Hmm... Tomcats with AIM-54 Phoniex anyone?

  12. #12

    Default Re: Singapore Exercises Option for Additional F-15SGs

    With so many countries having nuclear capabilities. We need more transport planes.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    820

    Default Re: Singapore Exercises Option for Additional F-15SGs

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    24 Eagles, 62 Falcons, 45 Tigers (at least according to Wikipedia).

    I think what are really short of are dedicated Bombers, stealth recon & stealth bombers instead of Multi-role fighters.
    Shld take out the Skyhawks completely and replace it with a dedicated Long Ranged Recon Stealth Bomber based overseas.

    Of cos, having like another 20 Apaches or like 10 Thunderbolts in place of commissioning another 3 or 4 Infantry Battalions would be good too.
    1 Apache/Thunderbolt have an equivalent firepower of almost a full Infantry Battalion. Woot.
    Don't think there is a need for dedicated bombers since ours is a defense force.
    I think Apache Longbow would be a better option than Thunderbolts for a small country like Singapore.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

  14. #14
    Member Static's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Surfing soft porn in CS
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Singapore Exercises Option for Additional F-15SGs

    Quote Originally Posted by Klose View Post
    This will bring the total order to 24 F-15SGs.

    1 complete squadron!!!
    So all will be stationed in paya lebar ?

    Wah noisy liao.
    陳綺貞 2010 [夏季練習曲] 巡迴演唱會 Cheer Concert 13 Nov 2010 MAX Pavilion@Singapore Expo

  15. #15
    Member Static's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Surfing soft porn in CS
    Posts
    1,079

    Default Re: Singapore Exercises Option for Additional F-15SGs

    Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    Don't think there is a need for dedicated bombers since ours is a defense force.
    I think Apache Longbow would be a better option than Thunderbolts for a small country like Singapore.
    There is a need

    Offence is the best defence
    陳綺貞 2010 [夏季練習曲] 巡迴演唱會 Cheer Concert 13 Nov 2010 MAX Pavilion@Singapore Expo

  16. #16

    Default Re: Singapore Exercises Option for Additional F-15SGs

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    That time they were contemplating between the Eurocopter Tiger (the same heli in 007's Goldeneye) and the Apache Longbow (ours are the longbow version right? I remember seeing the Radome on it). The Tiger had stealth abilities but RSAF din want it as they wanted something combat proven.

    Well, the Warthogs combat success rate are like 97%?

    Hmm... Tomcats with AIM-54 Phoniex anyone?
    The EC665 Tigers are rather dodgy, 4 variants? HAP/UH/ARH/HAD

    The A-10s are getting a new lease of life with the C upgrade!

    F-14s are a maintenance nightmare!

    B-1Bs anyone? Just 10 will be enough.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Hougang
    Posts
    820

    Default Re: Singapore Exercises Option for Additional F-15SGs

    Quote Originally Posted by Static View Post
    There is a need

    Offence is the best defence
    Multi-roles fighter can perform the offensive action.
    Having dedicated bombers will require dedicated fighters to escort them.
    除了爱, 我一无所有

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Singapore Exercises Option for Additional F-15SGs

    Quote Originally Posted by Klose View Post
    The EC665 Tigers are rather dodgy, 4 variants? HAP/UH/ARH/HAD

    The A-10s are getting a new lease of life with the C upgrade!

    F-14s are a maintenance nightmare!

    B-1Bs anyone? Just 10 will be enough.
    Warthogs.... sigh.... the GAU8 cannons are impressive.

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Singapore Exercises Option for Additional F-15SGs

    Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    Multi-roles fighter can perform the offensive action.
    Having dedicated bombers will require dedicated fighters to escort them.
    Once air superiority had been achieved, having dedicated bombers is important and detrimental in smashing whatever little morale ground troops have.
    Kinda like a psychological deterrent that 'we can flatten ur defending area flat with carpet bombing' thingy.

    My personal line of thought though.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Singapore Exercises Option for Additional F-15SGs

    Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    Multi-roles fighter can perform the offensive action.
    Having dedicated bombers will require dedicated fighters to escort them.

    why dun we get the eurofighters?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •