Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Advice needed for prosumer

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Manchester, United Kingdom, Un
    Posts
    8

    Default Advice needed for prosumer

    Hi All,

    Hope you guys and gals can help me out here.

    I'm hoping to upgrade to a decent prosumer and I'm looking at the following models:

    - Canon S5IS / S3IS
    - Canon G7 / G6
    - Panasonic FZ7 / FZ8

    I've been using compacts for years, after getting tired of my SLR... I prefer hassle free operation but because of my SLR, I would like more manual controls than what the average compact provides. So I think a prosumer is a good compromise for my requirements.

    In terms of photography requirements, I usually take photos for:

    - vacations
    - landscapes
    - toys

    A decent zoom (around 8-10x at least) and strong macro performance are important to me. Good low light performance and image stability would be a big plus. I don't print much, and only up to B5 size when I do, so megapixel count isn't a big issue for me.

    Would love to hear from users of the above cameras on what the strong points and short comings are. Want to go into the camera with both eyes open. have read the reviews at dpreview and the cameras are seem to be solid buys.

    Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!

  2. #2
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Advice needed for prosumer

    Hi Ken,

    I noticed that this is your 1st post. Firstly, let me welcome you to ClubSnap.

    Since you are not fussy about MP count, I presume that you do not mind not having the latest model as well. Well, in that case, I would recommend a Sony F828 or a Nikon 8700/8800 which can take very nice pictures. You can try the latest Sony H9 too.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Manchester, United Kingdom, Un
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Advice needed for prosumer

    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Hi Ken,

    I noticed that this is your 1st post. Firstly, let me welcome you to ClubSnap.

    Since you are not fussy about MP count, I presume that you do not mind not having the latest model as well. Well, in that case, I would recommend a Sony F828 or a Nikon 8700/8800 which can take very nice pictures. You can try the latest Sony H9 too.
    Thanks!

    I've only looked at the Canon and Panasonics, haven't really considered Sony or Nikon, although my first digicam ever was a Sony and my SLR is a Nikon...

    Maybe should check out the other brands.

    And yes, I certainly do no need to get the latest model. That's why I've been looking through the marketplace threads as well.

  4. #4
    Senior Member felixcat8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    9,124

    Default Re: Advice needed for prosumer

    Olympus or Fuji has also got good prosumer cams
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2



  5. #5
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Advice needed for prosumer

    Yes, the Olyumpus 8080 & Fuji 6500 is very impressive too.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  6. #6

    Default Re: Advice needed for prosumer

    personally i dont like fuji one...perhaps u can try it n see whether u like it or nt...
    PM me if U Want Asst Wedding Photographer
    http://totoro17.multiply.com http://chinhaven.tripod.com

  7. #7

    Default Re: Advice needed for prosumer

    you may wanna take compare S5IS and the panasonic Fz18.

    personally i was going to get the Fz18... (had been using the Fz5 for a while)

    In the end i opted for a DSLR as i was unhappy with the amount of noise when using a prosumer... for prints up to 8R there should be no problem with either the canon or the panasonic check out their online reviews and compare their pictures.

    i thought the FZ18 optical zoom of 18x and a macro of within 1cm impressive.

    its really your choice and how you feel about the camera when u handle it

    welcome to the club

  8. #8
    Member Daneal79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    210

    Default Re: Advice needed for prosumer

    hey! well..id recommend the Lumix LX2. i know it isnt on your list but i was using it for about a year before i sold it off and i kinda enjoyed using it. the 16:9 format is really unique and one of a kind and especially great for landscape/scenery pictures. it has full manual controls for aperture and shutter speeds.

    its a great 2nd camera to have if compact designs are what you are after. Just my 2 cents dude
    D80|MB-80|SB600|Tamron 17-50 f/2.8|Nikkor AF 50mm f/1.8D
    flickr:vhappy:

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Manchester, United Kingdom, Un
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Advice needed for prosumer

    Thanks to all the kind and helpful advice here, really appreciate it.

    The more I research the various prosumers and talk to people, I begin to have the impression that for good macro shots, a DSLR might be a better idea? Here are some clarifications I hope you all can help with:

    - Would a basic DSLR like the D300 with a decent macro lens be very significantly better than a prosumer for macro shots?

    - Would I be right to assume that a D300 with kit lens would not be as versatile as a prosumer? As in less zoom, no movie?

    - If my primary use of a camera is for macro (still life such as toys) and babies/kids/family, would a basic D300 or mid end prosumer like the S3IS be better?

    Thanks again all! This is very helpful!

  10. #10
    Senior Member Galdor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Planet Gaia
    Posts
    9,544

    Default Re: Advice needed for prosumer

    Hi bro,

    D300 is NOT a basic DSLR. It's a higher end DSLR. A D40x would be a basic DSLR. With a DSLR, you can have better controls over the settings.

    Versatility wise, the range may be lower than that of a prosumer but the quality of the picture may not be as bad as what a prosumer can give you. And IMHO, Nikon's kit lens is one of the better ones. Of course there wouldn't be a movie mode in DSLRs. BTW, I don't think that D300 comes with a kit lens does it?

    A DSLR or a prosumer would depend on what you want to achieve? How much you are committed? How much you are willing to spend, cos jumping onto the DSLR bandwagon does not only stop at only getting a body and a kit lens or a macro lens.

    It really depends on the person who uses the camera to determine the picture's quality at times. I've seen very nice macros taken using a PnS camera too.
    Minolta. Konica Minolta. Sony

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Manchester, United Kingdom, Un
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Advice needed for prosumer

    Quote Originally Posted by Galdor View Post
    Hi bro,

    D300 is NOT a basic DSLR. It's a higher end DSLR. A D40x would be a basic DSLR. With a DSLR, you can have better controls over the settings.

    Versatility wise, the range may be lower than that of a prosumer but the quality of the picture may not be as bad as what a prosumer can give you. And IMHO, Nikon's kit lens is one of the better ones. Of course there wouldn't be a movie mode in DSLRs. BTW, I don't think that D300 comes with a kit lens does it?

    A DSLR or a prosumer would depend on what you want to achieve? How much you are committed? How much you are willing to spend, cos jumping onto the DSLR bandwagon does not only stop at only getting a body and a kit lens or a macro lens.

    It really depends on the person who uses the camera to determine the picture's quality at times. I've seen very nice macros taken using a PnS camera too.

    My mistake, I meant the Canon EOS 300D...

    I understand the much larger investment required for DSLR as compared to prosumer, which is why I'm wary of going that direction... Would consider if image quality is really vastly superior.

    But if I do not expect to print large sizes, max A4 and most of the time just view from PC monitor, the image quality between DSLR and prosumer SHOULD not be too different right? I'm not planning to zoom all the way in and compare pixels...

  12. #12

    Default Re: Advice needed for prosumer

    Quote Originally Posted by kenlimkenlim View Post
    My mistake, I meant the Canon EOS 300D...

    I understand the much larger investment required for DSLR as compared to prosumer, which is why I'm wary of going that direction... Would consider if image quality is really vastly superior.

    But if I do not expect to print large sizes, max A4 and most of the time just view from PC monitor, the image quality between DSLR and prosumer SHOULD not be too different right? I'm not planning to zoom all the way in and compare pixels...
    hoipefully this will help you

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Manchester, United Kingdom, Un
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Advice needed for prosumer

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    hoipefully this will help you
    Hi night86mare, I have read the thread before and found it immensely helpful. Was a key reason why I started out looking at prosumers rather than a DSLR. But suggestions from some friends got me thinking a bit more...

    But most probably I will go for a second-hand prosumer.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    ew23 of tha green line
    Posts
    132

    Default Re: Advice needed for prosumer

    Quote Originally Posted by totoro17 View Post
    personally i dont like fuji one...perhaps u can try it n see whether u like it or nt...
    fuji's cant take v close macro shots! canon s5 can! 0mm!(:

  15. #15
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Advice needed for prosumer

    Quote Originally Posted by kenlimkenlim View Post
    - Would a basic DSLR like the D300 with a decent macro lens be very significantly better than a prosumer for macro shots?
    No there are lots of great macro shots done with a P&S camera, look at the macro gallery for proof

    Quote Originally Posted by kenlimkenlim View Post
    - Would I be right to assume that a D300 with kit lens would not be as versatile as a prosumer? As in less zoom, no movie?
    no movie, zoom depends on the lens in use

    Quote Originally Posted by kenlimkenlim View Post
    - If my primary use of a camera is for macro (still life such as toys) and babies/kids/family, would a basic D300 or mid end prosumer like the S3IS be better?
    for family shots a basic D40 will be just fine, macro will depend on how close you would want to go, you might need to purchase a dedicated macro lens as well

    and if you want nicer flash shots, then you would consider a external flash too

  16. #16
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Advice needed for prosumer

    see here for a discussion of the Nikon P5100

    http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=315129

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Manchester, United Kingdom, Un
    Posts
    8

    Default Re: Advice needed for prosumer

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    see here for a discussion of the Nikon P5100

    http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=315129
    Thanks! I have considered Nikon, especially since they are known for good macro. But the zoom is a little short compared to competitors...

    But great photos on the other thread!

  18. #18

    Default Re: Advice needed for prosumer

    Quote Originally Posted by kenlimkenlim View Post
    Hi night86mare, I have read the thread before and found it immensely helpful. Was a key reason why I started out looking at prosumers rather than a DSLR. But suggestions from some friends got me thinking a bit more...

    But most probably I will go for a second-hand prosumer.
    ya, a lot of people will just push you to go into dslr la, but it's honestly bs

    there are many good photographers here who just use prosumer, nothing to it actually

    as for macro, it is not true that having a dslr necessarily means you will produce better pictures. some people actually find using a prosumer easier for macro.

    as for suggestions the choices you have put up are pretty ok across the board - the difference is in the style in which they are made - g6 and 7 are significantly different in shape, size and outlook and possibly handling from the s5/3 is and the panny fz7/8.

    meanwhile you could also consider fujifilm 6500fd, sony h2/3/7/9 and of course the nikon one that ortega has suggested. the best way to decide is often to go down and try out all the models at a big shop, preferably cathay or alan photo or what, who will have all stock. then go home, think about it, make a decision, and call all the shops listed in cs for a quote, and then buy from the best offer. the shops listed here are listed for a reason - while they might have unorthodox methods of pushing products, they would have satisfied a significant proportion of the population and are relatively reliable and reasonable.. but of course please still be careful when buying

  19. #19

    Default Re: Advice needed for prosumer

    dude... looking back at your requirements... i kinda agree with what night86mare says...

    you were looking a this...

    "A decent zoom (around 8-10x at least) and strong macro performance are important to me. Good low light performance and image stability would be a big plus. I don't print much, and only up to B5 size when I do, so megapixel count isn't a big issue for me."

    i thought a prosumer would be good for you to start with as i had lots of fun with my prosumer. you have great macro, super long tele-zoom. and on top of that super light weight... just remember to go down for a "feel test". you must like it in the first place.

    Unless $$$ and weight is not a concern... then its your choice to go straight for the DSLRs

  20. #20

    Default Re: Advice needed for prosumer

    I suggest u go for the fz18 or the g series cause they both can take in raw format which you would really need when the time comes as most professional photogaphers always take all their pictures in raw format cause jpeg throws away too much detail. If im not wrong the g7 can't take raw. Good luck in finding your first camera.

    If you intend to spend once and expect it to last a long time without upgrading go for the prosumer. If you really have a interest in photography go straight for the 350d or the d40 (the d40x 10mp is just a marketing gimmick don't fall for it! ) 6 mp is all you need cause I don't think youl print anly larger than A4!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •