Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should a newly calibrated screen look like?

Default Re: What should a newly calibrated screen look like?

Have a look here: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Koda...%20shots&w=all

Many were on Kodachrome 64 (I guess because it was a ASA 64 film and slightly easier to use than an ASA 25 one because of hand-holdability).

the spyder's software seems to have this little problem... when I first used a spyder to profile my monitor, it came out too warm... trust me when I say it is too warm... then I searched around the web and stuff and I came up with the idea that it might be due to the software using the generic monitor profile that was provided by the monitor manufacturer instead of getting the rgb values from the monitor itself... obviously each monitor is going to vary somewhat from the generic values...

so i found this software called Monitor Asset Manager 1.26 that allows me to get the custom rgb values of the monitor, then I fed it to the monitor profile using Adobe Gamma in the part of the program where you can input custom "phosphor"s, saved this file back to its original name (pls make a backup of this file somewhere in your computer, just in case, if you want to try this), then used the Spyder profiling software to do a new profile... colours came out perfectly after that

RBK, you mentioned using the Spyder profiling software to do a new profile...does that mean I won;t need to use the physical hardware again? I ask because the Spyder used yesterday isn;t with me - it belongs to someone else.

oh, need the spyder hardware of course... should be spyder and profiling software...
    Last edited by theRBK; 28th October 2007 at 03:44 PM.

Hehehe...ok Liddat now canno use unless I 'kachow' da IT expert again, but dun wan lah...pai seh. I think I can live with what I have now...later I post up another pre and post calibration pix for you to see on your super calibrated screens.

CHEERS!

RBK: Got a similar fix that runs on OS X? :b

Quote Originally Posted by Yatlapball View Post
    RBK: Got a similar fix that runs on OS X? :b
    no OSX to try lah...you buy me a MacPro I figure out for you

but should be the same right?...don't have experience with spyder on OSX, but assuming the spyder's software works the same, all you need to do is plug your monitor into a windows pc, run the monitor info software from my earlier post, record the rgb values, plug your monitor back to the Mac, use Adobe Gamma to change the relevant ICC "custom phosphor" values, hope for the best, and reprofile your comp...

try and let us know...

Nice try

Can't do what you suggested because it's a laptop screen... not one of those big mama macs.

Nice try
    oh well

Hey Guys,

These are the pre and post re-calibration shots. Please have a look on your super-calibrated screens and let me know what you think of the adjusted file after screen re-calibration:

Before (on the previous screen it looked perfectly OK, but when printed out no adjustments at all, it looked dark - at least 1 stop under and colours and contrast was flat. Now, on the re-calibrated screen, it looks slightly better, but still under but not so flat.)

After screen re-calibration (Note: The colour chart on top is preserved in it's original, the bottom one has a -10R and -10Y applied, and for some strange reason, it seems to have 'brightened up' the entire chart).
    I haven't had the chance to print out a set of adjusted files after re-calibration yet.

Last edited by Dream Merchant; 29th October 2007 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Hey Guys,

These are the pre and post re-calibration shots. Please have a look on your super-calibrated screens and let me know what you think of the adjusted file after screen re-calibration:

Before (on the previous screen it looked perfectly OK, but when printed out no adjustments at all, it looked dark - at least 1 stop under and colours and contrast was flat. Now, on the re-calibrated screen, it looks slightly better, but still under but not so flat.)

After screen re-calibration (Note: The colour chart on top is preserved in it's original, the bottom one has a -10R and -10Y applied, and for some strange reason, it seems to have 'brightened up' the entire chart).
    I haven't had the chance to print out a set of adjusted files after re-calibration yet.

Nice of that expert to give you a help.

The top looks more natural, the bottom looks over saturated, especially the reds. If the top one doesn't print out well, then something is wrong with the printer. Try ColourLab at Adelphi.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 29th October 2007 at 03:33 PM.

Thanks Isisaxon.

I've been usig KT Colour all this while because they've been giving me 'more than superb service'.

I agree, on screen it looks a tad bit over saturated but I adjusted it that way, I guess, with a final output at KT in mind.

How's this? Only curves were adjusted. No added saturation like the previous sample. However, I notice one thing, When I edit it, it looks ok, but once I upload it to my smugmug albums, and download it, it looks more saturated.

The IT expert's a super great guy! He offered to come over with his new Spyder to help, and we ended up chatting for hours on end about photography and lenses and stuff. I only wished he had allowed me to buy him a steak from a very famous and popular western food stall that I know of. LOL!

It's guys like you and him that makes CS more than just a forum. Hopefully one day I can give back to the community in the same way.

Thanks Isisaxon.

I've been usig KT Colour all this while because they've been giving me 'more than superb service'.

I agree, on screen it looks a tad bit over saturated but I adjusted it that way, I guess, with a final output at KT in mind.

How's this? Only curves were adjusted. No added saturation like the previous sample. However, I notice one thing, When I edit it, it looks ok, but once I upload it to my smugmug albums, and download it, it looks more saturated.

The IT expert's a super great guy! He offered to come over with his new Spyder to help, and we ended up chatting for hours on end about photography and lenses and stuff. I only wished he had allowed me to buy him a steak from a very famous and popular western food stall that I know of. LOL!

It's guys like you and him that makes CS more than just a forum. Hopefully one day I can give back to the community in the same way.
    The red which the balloon guy is wearing on the left still seems a little too oversaturated. My opinion is that prints should match calibrated screens. If not, you're going to have a lot of trial and error to get things right. Maybe you can ask KT how they do their profiling etc.. ask them to improve a bit in that area.. We really lack properly calibrated labs here. Even my own inkjet prints, which I used a scanner based ProfilePrism software to profile, delivers more accurate prints than many labs. Otherwise, ColourLab and Beautiful Memories should be able to give you accurate colours.

I also noticed certain web galleries do alter the image a little. Flickr is one of them. Don't know what they did but I also noticed the colours are more saturated for the images I put up to Flickr.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 30th October 2007 at 12:39 PM.

Smugmug is not know to handle uploads of red well (they have a paragraph or chapter written about colour repo on their system), and the magician's red coat is fairly saturated in real life. I've seen him twice at functions under very different lighting conditions and always wondered if his coat would glow in the dark! LOL!

Thanks for all your feedback Isisaxon. I really appreciate the time and effort you've spent on my never-ending questions.

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    I also noticed certain web galleries do alter the image a little. Flickr is one of them. Don't know what they did but I also noticed the colours are more saturated for the images I put up to Flickr.
    for me, i think it's the opposite. the pic i have after PP looks significantly more saturated than the pic i've uploaded on Flickr.
    Trust me, I'm not so bad! | TangShooters

Smugmug is not know to handle uploads of red well (they have a paragraph or chapter written about colour repo on their system), and the magician's red coat is fairly saturated in real life. I've seen him twice at functions under very different lighting conditions and always wondered if his coat would glow in the dark! LOL!

Thanks for all your feedback Isisaxon. I really appreciate the time and effort you've spent on my never-ending questions.
    No problems.. We're all here to help each other and learn from one another. Interesting red coat. I think it must be one of those retroreflective or fluorescence material. Usually it's not good to get clipped colours because you can't do anything to it anymore. Only time clipping is good is the background of IC photos where a pure white background is needed.

Anyway, just take note my nick is lsisaxon and not Isisaxon. Many people make this mistake including the HR of some company I'm going for interview with, she got my email wrong also. In case you want to PM me or anything you won't be able to find Isisaxon.. haha.. .

i thought it was i sisaxon all along also

Oh btw, I think Beautiful Memories is no more...

that's what I thought too!
    Trust me, I'm not so bad! | TangShooters

Oh btw, I think Beautiful Memories is no more...
    Sad... another good lab gone... sigh.. But I'd say they are not cheap. I usually go ColourLab. Have you tried their pearl paper?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12