Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Would-be 10D owners don't come in!!

Originally posted by Paladin
    After reading so many comments here..decided do test out too...

1. Focus: a little front focusing in AF mode...ok in manual...I can live with that...

2. Dust: shocking ...tried blowing but the dots did not go away...this concerns me too...may sent in to the service centre...but after what Wai mentioned abt the cam coming back with more problems....think twice now....sigh....

Anyway, what did you show them as evident, Wai? a print out of from the cam itself??

BTW, mine also the 023 series......

First pic is at F16 while the second is at F32. Did not really notice the dust initially until I did a auto levels...boy was I in for a shock!!

I read somewhere that the normal camera should be slightly front focus. Well, AF still has its limitation.

As for the dust, i tried shooting at the sky and then inspect the image with my nake eyes in the File Viewer Utility, it looks clean.
    Do you mean the dust can only be seen with the autolevel from PS?

Originally posted by Shib
    I read somewhere that the normal camera should be slightly front focus. Well, AF still has its limitation.

As for the dust, i tried shooting at the sky and then inspect the image with my nake eyes in the File Viewer Utility, it looks clean.
    Do you mean the dust can only be seen with the autolevel from PS?
    With autolevel..it was not that obvious.....there were spots...but not that many.....which batch is your tandy?

no d60 users?
    olympus E users?

I icq my fren at canon, he told me they showed wai samples from the 1 series also have... it's unavoidable he says...
    BUT to be fair, it is quite disappointing to have such stuff...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

Originally posted by Paladin
    With autolevel..it was not that obvious.....there were spots...but not that many.....which batch is your tandy?
    Should be early batch, 023xx. Got from CP Marina.

hmm just wondering. in what circumstances do we need to take pictures at F16 and above? Cos for me I often take pictures in P mode and it never goes past f5.6 the only time I need f11 and above is when I take closeup pics and I need detail.

Originally posted by AstralPrue
    hmm just wondering. in what circumstances do we need to take pictures at F16 and above? Cos for me I often take pictures in P mode and it never goes past f5.6 the only time I need f11 and above is when I take closeup pics and I need detail.
    agree with you. but then again, for a $2700 camera body, it should have that (basic) capability without any compromise, although we may not actually use that capability.

Originally posted by liuhao
    agree with you. but then again, for a $2700 camera body, it should have that (basic) capability without any compromise, although we may not actually use that capability.
    hee, mine also have that spotty problem but I did not notice it until I read this thread and carried out the test. but it does not bother me that much, cos it does not appear in my 'everyday' photos.

I do agree with you though, Canon should pull their asses off the ground and do something about this.

Originally posted by denizenx
    no d60 users?
    olympus E users?

I icq my fren at canon, he told me they showed wai samples from the 1 series also have... it's unavoidable he says...
    BUT to be fair, it is quite disappointing to have such stuff...
    thats bad...

Default CMOS lesser dust? On paper but not practically ...

Originally posted by erwinx
    The S2 sensor is very easy to clean compared to the D60's. Of course D60's sensor doesn't really need cleaning.
    D60 sensor doesn't really need cleaning? I don't think so dude ... In a marketing perspective perhaps but definitely not quite the case from a practical standpoint.

I had personally handled (ie. cleaned) quite a number of D60s with dust on the sensor. These are cameras owned by non professional, moderate users like many here. Yet, I see dust bunnies stuck fast on the CMOS sensor, and mind you, these are those that require swabbing, not just the usual bulb method. This clearly shows that in a practical environment, the D60 (or any camera with CMOS sensor in the market) isn't exactly less prone to dust, not at least when bad personal habit is involved (see below)

The sure fire way to minimise the introduction of dust to the sensor chamber is thru cultivating a good lens changing habit. Always face your camera's lens mount downward to prevent any dust from settling into the chamber while you are switching lenses. It is not a difficult method at all but sadly, it is often ignored or conveniently forgotten.

On my personal level, I clean my sensor only once in two weeks if I shoot heavily or once a month if I don't shoot that often. For a camera (D100) that is often slated as "the dustbin" by uninitiated individuals, this is something that proves otherwise. It takes time for one to get used to it but when the habit is cultivated, this dust "problem" is not even a minor issue, it is in fact, a non issue ...
    Last edited by Avatar; 4th May 2003 at 12:42 AM.

Default Re: CMOS lesser dust? On paper but not practically ...

Originally posted by Avatar
    D60 sensor doesn't really need cleaning? I don't think so dude ... In a marketing perspective perhaps but definitely not quite the case from a practical standpoint.

I had personally handled (ie. cleaned) quite a number of D60s with dust on the sensor. These are cameras owned by non professional, moderate users like many here. Yet, I see dust bunnies stuck fast on the CMOS sensor, and mind you, these are those that require swabbing, not just the usual bulb method. This clearly shows that in a practical environment, the D60 (or any camera with CMOS sensor in the market) isn't exactly less prone to dust, not at least when bad personal habit is involved (see below)

The sure fire way to minimise the introduction of dust to the sensor chamber is thru cultivating a good lens changing habit. Always face your camera's lens mount downward to prevent any dust from settling into the chamber while you are switching lenses. It is not a difficult method at all but sadly, it is often ignored or conveniently forgotten.
    i've had no such problems with my d60. I'm still waiting for the opportunity to go to Canon for free cleaning while under warranty but got no reason to do so.... Comparing S2 to D60 it is obvious to me that the s2 had more of a 'visible dust problem' compared to the d60.

Falcon: the s2 is very easy to clean because there is plenty of space in the camera chamber (or whatever you call it) allowing you freedom to move the sensor swab around.
    Last edited by erwinx; 4th May 2003 at 12:47 AM.

Default Re: Re: CMOS lesser dust? On paper but not practically ...

Originally posted by erwinx
    i've had no such problems with my d60. I'm still waiting for the opportunity to go to Canon for free cleaning while under warranty but got no reason to do so.... Comparing S2 to D60 it is obvious to me that the s2 had more of a 'visible dust problem' compared to the d60.
    This can only mean you had cultivated a correct method in changing lenses, good going! On the other hand, if you rarely use small apertures (normally from f/11 and above), it won't be visible. The sensor chamber for the D60/10D is in fact the smallest amongst all, it is actually quite challenging to clean it with swabs. I think it is wiser for you to get it back to Canon but than again, do take wai's experience with their "cleaning service" in for consideration, I am sure you won't want them to introduce some "extras" when they return your camera

I have seen and helped clean a couple of S2s, yes it is the easiest one to tackle, thanks to the seamless boarder around the filter. As for dust problem, I cannot attest that the S2 is more prone, all I can say from what I had seen so far is that ANY DSLR is prone unless one is willing to put an effort into minimising it.

Originally posted by AstralPrue
    when i need lots of DOF during product shots, i also did not purposely test for dust until some of my product shots taken at f16 got dark spots everywhere (dozen of them)

anyway, my main concern is not the dust, although mine is quite serious, still can use PS to clear away

but for the AF...i can't use MF everytime rite....
    Last edited by Wai; 4th May 2003 at 01:13 AM.

Default Re: CMOS lesser dust? On paper but not practically ...

Originally posted by Avatar

since u clean sensor frequently, are dusts on the SURFACE of the sensor visible to naked eye?

Originally posted by Wai
    when i need lots of DOF during product shots, i also did not purposely test for dust until some of my product shots taken at f16 got dark spots everywhere (dozen of them)

anyway, my main concern is not the dust, although mine is quite serious, still can use PS to clear away

but for the AF...i can't use MF everytime rite....
    Yes Wai, I agree with you. I do quite a lot of product shots myself, and I appreciate the shooting at f16 and above

Keep us updated regarding the exchange issue ok? Thanks!

Can i do the dust test by shooting at a white piece of paper at f/16 or higher....?

Originally posted by Cool_VIR
    Can i do the dust test by shooting at a white piece of paper at f/16 or higher....?
    yes...btw, no need to focus on the paper at all, just make sure tha paper and the lens are clean

**** i also got the 2 big dots now

Wat to do now
    i'm so lost ....?
    I spend all my $$$ on the cam liao

After they change a new cam for u

Anymore dust ....?

seem like the thread become CMOS dirty issue then 10D faulty issue ...
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

DO U HAVE ANY OF THE PROBLEM....?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast