Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would-be 10D owners don't come in!!

Originally posted by Cool_VIR
    Sorry Wai
    Can u teach me how to tell the focusing is good or not
    try http://www.hkdotcom.net/Francis%20Ph...Test/index.htm

Some of my simple test shots using a ruler.. with a 28-105 lens, hand held centre focus P mode with incam flash - one shot mode. Taken at night with lights on. Shots taken in Large format (3072 resolution) cropped to 1024 resolution.

Focusing on no. 4

Focusing on no. 10

Focusing on no. 12

Focusing on no. 15

Serial no. : 0330xxxx

looks good.....btw, did u try turn the focus all the way to minium...then half press ONCE, then take a shot...after that repeat the whole procedure with focusing from infinity?

u will be suprised there may be different

but i think using a long tele with big aperture like f2.8 is better...cos the DOF shallower so it is easier to see
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

Charvy: Your focusing seems to be fine.

Originally posted by Wai
    looks good.....btw, did u try turn the focus all the way to minium...then half press ONCE, then take a shot...after that repeat the whole procedure with focusing from infinity?

u will be suprised there may be different
    Most of the shots are taken in half depress once (heard the beep sound - focus lock) and then after full depress.

Just wanna try out the simple ruler test first.. if it fails.. i think the cam will hve been a goner.

Will try the method by http://www.hkdotcom.net/Francis%20P..._Test/index.htm over the weekend. If i have the spare time..

Originally posted by shidenx
    Charvy: Your focusing seems to be fine.
    IMHO thats what I thought so too, else I wldn't be able to get the targeted no. focused in the first place.

Another one - taken with a 50-500.. Taken @ 500mm .. handheld .. Focusing on the word "EOS 10D Digital" on the box.. Cropped to 1024 as usual.

Default Re: Re: dust on sensor?

Originally posted by Wai
    yes, same place with all my 3 lenses

I can't see any dust on the sensor itself during cleaning..

even after i send to Canon, the dark spot still exist in the same place (and they actually introduce somemore dust in the viewfinder!!)

i suspect the dust is not on the surface of the sensor, but INSIDE or below the so call AA filter
    Wai, sorry to see you are facing some issues with your new camera. I think I know something relevant that might be of help to your dust problem.

If what you are facing is in the same context as what I had seen and experienced, the dust that you mentioned is not on the surface of the sensor are actually those introduced during manufacturing process. I discovered this with my first set of D100, it has a single piece of dust "sandwiched" between the AA filter and the sensor.

Having no other choice after a few cleaning attempts, I approach Nikon Service Center for help. Upon cleaning my camera, I was told to check it inside their studio. To our dismay, the problem persist but admirably, Nikon replace my camera on the spot with an apology and no further questions asked.

Thereafter, I hear that a friend of mine is unfortunate enough to receive a brand new but dusty-when-out-of-the-box D60 that happen to share the same fate as my first D100. I advise this person to approach Canon asap, and to my surprise, I was told that Canon isn't exactly very accomodating in an idea of an exchange after failing to clear up all the dust in this supposingly brand new camera. It is only thru a disheartening phone call I made to the Assistant Director (I believe he is the same person you met) that they reluctantly agreed to give my friend a 1-1 exchange.

Having thought troubles are all over, Canon made things worse by withholding the "dusty" D60, citing that a replacement can only be issued when new stocks arrive. Their excuse for withholding the camera is cited as to "prevent the user from damaging the camera" in lieu of an exchange ... IMO and everyone I know, this is a completely unacceptable practice, especially for such a big company. I cannot see why they have the right to deny a user from using his newly bought product even when it is clearly the company's fault?

I was forced to make several phone calls, and a visit to Canon before they sped up the process and replace my friend's camera. We have to go thru all these simply because of a company's reluctance to admit to their mistake.

Now, having said this, Wai, I feel that you have to stand firm here. Dust sandwiched between the AA filter and the sensor is clearly a manufacturing defect, this is something you should not and never should accept IF they give you an excuse for an exchange. This, alongside your other issues with your 10D, is good enough a justification for you get a brand new, faultless, dust-free replacement.

Go get them!
    Last edited by Avatar; 2nd May 2003 at 12:14 AM.

Default Re: Re: Re: dust on sensor?

Originally posted by Avatar
    Wai, sorry to see you are facing some issues with your new camera. I think I know something relevant that might be of help to your dust problem.

<snipped>

Go get them!

this is not the first case already, lorbert got his 10D exchanged after the dust inside cannot be removed..

but his second set also same fate...so probably we will be going canon together with him again....

Default Re: Re: Re: dust on sensor?

Originally posted by Avatar

Go get them!
    Hell yeah! Totally agree with u avatar.

Seriously. After reading all these i am re-considering the 10D. I don't want to own a new but problem full camera.

It's like playing the russian roulette..

It depends on ur luck really IMHO.. some folks can get a good set of 10D and some don't.. just like my previous 1st set of D60 which was bought arnd end sept.. was with probs too.. had it exchanged for a new one..

If i'm getting the 10D, i'll be bringing my lenses, a Large piece of white paper and a long ruler. And make a fool myself ard CP testing dust and focusing problem.

Default Hmm...looks like must see serial number..

Hi Guyz...

I happen to check-checkout Ken Rockwell's website and saw a review of the 10D. At the last paragraph it says that Canon have been producing the cameras for 4 MONTHS......before first ship.....

Ken Rockwell Review

Seems that it takes them a period of 4 months to start shipping production units...this mean that there may bere some iterative rework (firmware or hardware) or tweaks that may have taken place...in that period of time where things are in the warehouse......in and out of the box for "rework" maybe and hence the "extra dust"......

Well...whay not have those already own known good 10D and share the serial number so that future buyers may check serial number before buying and have a higher confidence when buying....

....maybe 023.....means work week 2........of 200"3".......

Regards,
    me

shoot..... this is going to influence my decision on the 10D liao... so if the ssn batch of 023xxxxx got problem, what's the latest batch now?

Originally posted by SniperD
    shoot..... this is going to influence my decision on the 10D liao... so if the ssn batch of 023xxxxx got problem, what's the latest batch now?
    sniperD wai

Told u dun come in already!! naughty boy

btw, i have yet to see anyone have problem with the new batch that is 043xxxxx

all those got focusing/dust problem seems to be from 023xxxxx batch

Originally posted by Wai
    sniperD wai

Told u dun come in already!! naughty boy

btw, i have yet to see anyone have problem with the new batch that is 043xxxxx

all those got focusing/dust problem seems to be from 023xxxxx batch
    Now thats a relief

heh heh heh... when down to AP today and checked... seems that they are holding the newer serial numbers... so...

anyway, they quoted me about 2700 but Song Brothers quoted me 2650 ... how come like that one....

Originally posted by SniperD
    heh heh heh... when down to AP today and checked... seems that they are holding the newer serial numbers... so...

anyway, they quoted me about 2700 but Song Brothers quoted me 2650 ... how come like that one....
    MAY be they will tell u no stock when u are abt to get it, then ask u to buy D60 at $3800

if i were u, i won't bother to ask for the price for the latter shop
    Last edited by Wai; 2nd May 2003 at 01:26 AM.

huh? tot charger is in the full set?

Song Bros offered this: 2640 (cam) + 350 (grip) = under 3K
    Wun inc. GST also.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast