Thread: The Daily Grind

Default The Daily Grind

somedays everything seems to be set against you..

shot this pic from an overhead bridge on a tilt-shift lens.. tilted the focal plane to reduce the apparent DoF to emphasis the red lights and also to miniaturize the vehicles, making them look insignificant..

would like to know if the tilt-shift effect works well with the pic.. composition wise, any area I can improve on?

thanks..
    Last edited by J-Chan; 19th October 2007 at 10:25 PM. Reason: added background info

Default Re: The Daily Grind

hmmm... with ur title n intro... i would have expected a shot with more traffic.. shud get a much busier road, like orchard...

think u need to give more background info* on the shot too... the motivation behind it, etc. i quite like the tilt shift effect though..
    Last edited by SolBadGuy; 19th October 2007 at 10:05 PM. Reason: additional word "info" which i missed out..
    Trust me, I'm not so bad! | TangShooters

I dunno much abt the tilt shift effect, but i think the 'toy car' effect, whether intentional or not fits ur theme quite well^^ perhaps a wider depth of field would have been better, but thats just me...

Quote Originally Posted by SolBadGuy View Post
    hmmm... with ur title n intro... i would have expected a shot with more traffic.. shud get a much busier road, like orchard...

think u need to give more background info* on the shot too... the motivation behind it, etc. i quite like the tilt shift effect though..
    yea, more traffic would be better.. thought the title was quite self-explantory, if not I think I'll be ranting on and on.. haha..

anyway, chose to shoot there cos I could include the traffic lights.. with the TS blur, the red lights would be more prominent..

Quote Originally Posted by kgston View Post
    I dunno much abt the tilt shift effect, but i think the 'toy car' effect, whether intentional or not fits ur theme quite well^^ perhaps a wider depth of field would have been better, but thats just me...
    yea, its intentional.. thanks, its shot on the TS-E 90mm.. prob should have stopped down slightly more..

I love it! looks like toys!

love the effect... really look like toys to me....

Quote Originally Posted by bend geez View Post
    I love it! looks like toys!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewtansj View Post
    love the effect... really look like toys to me....
    thanks..

anyone else feels the focus is abit off? intended to have the junction sharp, but then I think I shifted up abit accidentally..

Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    thanks..

anyone else feels the focus is abit off? intended to have the junction sharp, but then I think I shifted up abit accidentally..
    You're right!

Focus plane seems to be at or around where the red Hyundai Matrix is at.

Interesting... Something you dun see everyday here!
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    Interesting... Something you dun see everyday here!
    thanks..

Wa really really cute, the color make them look like toys. I like! Haha. Singapore's own hot wheels.

that pic is amazing! i like how you make the cars look like toys! if you dont mind me asking how did you do that?
    my gear:
    canon xti, kit lens, sigma 17-70, sling shot200, ud60(for school with laptop and camera!)

Quote Originally Posted by CYNx3 View Post
    Wa really really cute, the color make them look like toys. I like! Haha. Singapore's own hot wheels.
    thanks, glad you liked it.. though I'm ait suprised you managed to dig up this 2 week old thread.. anyway, interesting interpretation you have, hahaa..

Quote Originally Posted by romeo26 View Post
    that pic is amazing! i like how you make the cars look like toys! if you dont mind me asking how did you do that?
    thanks.. used a tilt-shift lens, the TS-E 90mm..

Sry but i hav a diff idea. I think the background is rather disturbing which acturally distracted me from viewing the sharp part of the photo

Thanks for sharing. My 2-cents worth:-
    - I like the toy car feel. You managed to capture that well.
    - I agree with Momento, to some extend the trees especially are quite distracting, crop closer maybe.
    - Although most have said that the focus could have been at the traffic lights. Maybe next time take more shots and check if you have accidentally touched the PC lens. However, I kind of like the idea you have to guess whether it's a motor or bicycle in the blur.

Thanks again.

i worry that the people posting in here are too carried away by the toy train effect.. personally i don't find myself too amazed by it, have seen it before back in a while when people were crazy about it and were doing photoshop jobs of this.

thread here, there were a few more if you do a search for toy train in cs

anyways; apologies about my differing opinion, but this photo honestly does not work for me. the composition is very weak; in a way it is possibly not your fault because the perspective is way too close up. the arrangement of the vehicles are messy, there is honestly nothing much here except for the effect

i have not been able to find out pristine examples of good shots taken with tilt shift lens, probably because they are not so common.. but the lensbaby does give nearly similar effects; here's some ideas that i've seen before on flickr (with similar effect and theme, i.e. traffic) that worked very well for me:

link
    link 2
    link 3

perhaps something like here would be great, if you can get the turning vehicle in sharp focus (relatively, anyways)

link 4

cheers

thanks for all the comments, esp night86mare..

really appreciate it.. would try harder next time..