Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: this laptop seems to be suitable for photographers!

Blog Entries

Default Re: this laptop seems to be suitable for photographers!

Quote Originally Posted by jacob View Post
    i was thinking of GIMP.
    hmm... yeah. dat is an option. hehe... lemme experiment at home installing PSE5 onto my CF card.

Quote Originally Posted by CYRN View Post
    I tink the LCD output will drive a lot of photog nuts.
    haha... for me, it's enuf to get-by for some quick editing. lets see whether the upcoming pc fair at expo got this laptop for sale.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf75 View Post
    interesting device. but i wonder how can we install simple programs like PSE into it? i doubt a full-blown CS3 can fit into the flash-drive...

if can at least put PSE 5 or 6 into it, IMO we have a winner here.
    It's got a SD card slot. I was thinking that because all my SLRs are CF (yeah, THAT brand ), I could put a 8GB SD in the slot and use it as a 'hard disk'. Alternatively if you need the SD reader, a 8GB USB memory stick could work, too.

Blog Entries

hehe... fyi for those who might be interested. i just got GIMP installed onto a normal speed sandisk 1GB card and ran it successful from the card itself. it's a little slow in the read/write, probably becos of the card speed.

looks like it is possible for this asus laptop to do simple editing after all.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

does it have a usb port? maybe can plug in 2.5inch portable HDD.

hehe... fyi for those who might be interested. i just got GIMP installed onto a normal speed sandisk 1GB card and ran it successful from the card itself. it's a little slow in the read/write, probably becos of the card speed.

Quote Originally Posted by jfoo View Post
    does it have a usb port? maybe can plug in 2.5inch portable HDD.
    Yes, three USB ports. Take a short USB cable and tape a 2.5" HD under it for memory card storage.. If it can boot from USB, even better.

I've been getting USB 2.0 transfer rates (real data rates, not theoretical) of ~22MBytes/sec from a fast hard disk and a good USB box with high end chipset attached to my desktop computer. That's actually pretty decent HD performance for a light duty system, so this little laptop may be quite useful in the end..

The only downside to a USB HD is that it will hurt battery life. Hard disks and things with moving disks/heads tend to suck up more power than the Solid State Disk (SSD) that comes with the laptop. Oh well, can't have it all

Quote Originally Posted by sloth View Post
    The only downside to a USB HD is that it will hurt battery life. Hard disks and things with moving disks/heads tend to suck up more power than the Solid State Disk (SSD) that comes with the laptop. Oh well, can't have it all
    most mobile warriors will plug in to ac whenever possible. i think one will cultivate that habit/practice when the time comes.

Deregistered

that's cool. i wonder will it be able to run on window mobile 6??????

am asking for the (im)possibles.

i don't think gimp was built for window mobile.

spb imageer let's you edit somewhat on the pda.
    http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/imageer/?en

Blog Entries

hehe... not much of a WM fan. am still waiting for the next gen iphone to hit our shores. but, if this asus laptop proves its worth, it might be a better bang-for-buck for me.

next experiment later today will be to install PSE onto the SD card.

Blog Entries

think i must be the only fella here jumping up and down abt this...

just got news - the Eee PC should be made available in SG early dec. i guess probably in time for sitex.

think i must be the only fella here jumping up and down abt this...

just got news - the Eee PC should be made available in SG early dec. i guess probably in time for sitex.
    Not only U.. Me eyeing too.. Have to depend on price..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by binbeto View Post
    Not only U.. Me eyeing too.. Have to depend on price..
    some folks posted on other forums, probably ard $500-600 bah?

i'll most probably get it from HN, best denki or courts for their installment plan. need to figure out how to reload it with winXP cos it comes in Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by John Teoh View Post
    Using the Kohjinsha now. They have 2 versions, 40GB and 100GB, 500MHZ, 512MB RAM, built-in SD and CF readers, 2 usb ports, BT and wifi, touchscreen. Only things are touchscreen not very accurate, keyboard not good and a bit slow.
    I just ordered one of those. i like it because of the build in CF reader and big harddisk space. plus i can do simple photoshop and surf the net and check email. i think it is good for carry around especially overseas trip. no need to bring external hdd, no need to bring additional card reader.

i'm lazy. dont want to carry too many things when i'm out. carrying one of these (1.1kg inc extended battery) is good enough for a whole day out i think. plus the small size is good enough to squeeze into my bag. i can shoot, download, process, then copy or email friends immediately while sitting in the mcdonalds near to the event place. (dreaming)

all these is what i hope it will be. i havent receive mine yet though.

some folks posted on other forums, probably ard $500-600 bah?

i'll most probably get it from HN, best denki or courts for their installment plan. need to figure out how to reload it with winXP cos it comes in Linux.

Not sure if it will be in Sing any time soon. This baby was only US$199 when announced.. Now balloon to US$400.

Loading it with Xp shouldn't be too difficult. Cna use USB cd rom or USB-IDE connection (but you need power for your IDE).

The difficult part is to slim down the XP on the laptop as it came with very limited capacity SSD (4gb being the cheapest.)

Blog Entries

Not sure if it will be in Sing any time soon. This baby was only US$199 when announced.. Now balloon to US$400.

Loading it with Xp shouldn't be too difficult. Cna use USB cd rom or USB-IDE connection (but you need power for your IDE).

The difficult part is to slim down the XP on the laptop as it came with very limited capacity SSD (4gb being the cheapest.)
    there's some news dat asus might ship the XP version in SG. just hope micro$oft dun force asus to jack up the price.

woot u are fast! haha
    seems interesting..
    if it runs linux
    imagine shooting pics and transfer wirelessly to this baby with attached HD and quietly it resizes the pics with a imagemagick script then output to screen as a slideshow with music?

use xplite, and turn off paging

anyway base XP install is 1GB only, i even managed to run XP on a 2gb hdd

Quote Originally Posted by quekky View Post
    use xplite, and turn off paging

anyway base XP install is 1GB only, i even managed to run XP on a 2gb hdd
    Yap.. that's the one.. to turn off page file.. Think ram need to up to 1gb.

Muai thai fighter tio si muai thai fighter.

Blog Entries

http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2007/11/0...this-december/

confirm dec launch. watch for it at sitex 2007.

4GB seems to be a bit small, I wonder if they are going to bring in the 8GB one soon. I heard that Microsoft is working with them to bundled XP into the OS base options.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast