Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can pre-order Leopard now!

Default Re: Can pre-order Leopard now!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Yeo View Post
    I quite scare of installing as got lots of stuff in my comp now. Data is backup-able. But dunno how to backup configurations.
    If you back up your user area, you'll be fine as the preferences are included in that area under ~/Library/Preferences and ~/Library/Application Support.

I quite scare of installing as got lots of stuff in my comp now. Data is backup-able. But dunno how to backup configurations.
    Just do an Archive and install. I was like you, quite apprehensive about whether apps will work properly nor not. So far, after installing Leopard,I've tried to run most of the apps that i frequently use, and found no problems with it. Gonna let things settle down for a few days before I delete the Previous Systems folder.
    Last edited by hobbit6003; 27th October 2007 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbit6003 View Post
    Just do an Archive and install. I was like you, quite apprehensive about whether apps will work properly nor not. So far, after installing Leopard,I've tried to run most of the apps that i frequently use, and found no problems with it. Gonna let things settle down for a few days before I delete the Previous Systems folder.
    The reason I scare is because I have never re-format my Mac since the first day it was bought.

The reason I scare is because I have never re-format my Mac since the first day it was bought.
    Well, there shouldn't be a need to reformat unless you see a performance dip or that you have a irreconciable problem.

IMO, you can just do a system upgrade if you don't have enough hard disk space for archive.

did a straight in-place upgrade. leopard up and running

if you are scared, maybe install leopard to another harddisk, then you can boot from that harddisk to test out leopard before you upgrade your main harddisk.

Ooo goody, leopards out! Time to buy me a mac!

We got so used to the need of re-formatting because of PeeCees... should not need to do that unless the HDD is needing replacement.

BC

Quote Originally Posted by Scaglietti View Post
    We got so used to the need of re-formatting because of PeeCees... should not need to do that unless the HDD is needing replacement.

BC
    haha...yeah.. thats the standard procedure for solving pc issues right?

anyway...if really scared things go bad, then choose the archive and install option. most of the apps wont need to be reinstalled. once exception is photoshop

Leopard already has its first software update available.

Just realised that my Canon printer driver has gone missing after I upgraded to Leopard. I downloaded another driver from the Canon website, but when I install it, it required me to re-align my printer head.

However, my printer is all packed away in a warehouse as I've just moved out of my house for a few months for renovation, so I was unable to complete the installation process.

Anyone has managed to re-install the canon driver into Leopard, is there compatibility issue? I'm using the inkjet IP 4000.

Quote Originally Posted by bousozoku View Post
    Leopard already has its first software update available.
    wow , that's fast

Quote Originally Posted by alwayschampion View Post
    wow , that's fast
    Yes, and there was another also when I stupidly upgraded about 24 hours ago.

All I can say is that it's better and worse. 6 weeks from now, there should be the 10.5.1 patch and things should be greatly improved.

It seems stable. I've had no kernel panics, but my internet connection is unstable and disconnects frequently. My Canon i9900 printer is shown under Firewire devices but is not in the printer list and cannot be added. It is rather sluggish also. I run folding@home and what took about 1 hour, now takes 1 hour, 44 minutes. My machine is a 1.33 GHz PowerBook G4 with 1.5 GB RAM so it's not a crippled machine.

The firewall is not enabled, even if you had it enabled in Tiger.

I like the visual consistency but the translucent menu bar is ugly and the 3D Dock seems even more tiny and crowded.

I can't wait until 10.5.1 is ready.

I agreed with you the menu is not as nice as previoulsy. At first I noticed a few white spots on the menu bar, I thought it was dead pixel, later found that it was the picture of the wallpaper (the purple space and stars)

I quickly go and enabled fw. I was quite surprised it allows all incoming traffic

I prefer the older Dock.

What I like: boot up seems to be faster. Safari, Mail and generately, most things are faster.

So far, stable, no hang (well, my previous Mac hasn't hanged before in 2 years' time and I still dunno where's the reset button! ... apps did crash but the OS never hanged before.)

Quote Originally Posted by hobbit6003 View Post
    Just realised that my Canon printer driver has gone missing after I upgraded to Leopard. I downloaded another driver from the Canon website, but when I install it, it required me to re-align my printer head.

However, my printer is all packed away in a warehouse as I've just moved out of my house for a few months for renovation, so I was unable to complete the installation process.

Anyone has managed to re-install the canon driver into Leopard, is there compatibility issue? I'm using the inkjet IP 4000.
    strange...my i990 still works fine, and its older than the IP series.

I agreed with you the menu is not as nice as previoulsy. At first I noticed a few white spots on the menu bar, I thought it was dead pixel, later found that it was the picture of the wallpaper (the purple space and stars)

I quickly go and enabled fw. I was quite surprised it allows all incoming traffic

I prefer the older Dock.

What I like: boot up seems to be faster. Safari, Mail and generately, most things are faster.

So far, stable, no hang (well, my previous Mac hasn't hanged before in 2 years' time and I still dunno where's the reset button! ... apps did crash but the OS never hanged before.)
    lol...i hate that wallpaper. changed it to just a plain grey one.

oh yeah...if you want to change the wallpaper for the login screen, just replace DefaultDesktop.jpg in /System/Library/CoreServices.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12