Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Few questions only

  1. #1

    Default Few questions only

    hi, just want to check with some experts out there.

    Taking photos indoors with flash eg. wedding dinners, wat shutter speed and aperture are recommended for:
    1. taking bride and groom only
    2. taking candid shots of bride and groom
    2. taking group photos
    3. taking candid shots of other people
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    In the void.
    Posts
    1,323

    Default Re: Few questions only

    Quote Originally Posted by chjing View Post
    hi, just want to check with some experts out there.

    Taking photos indoors with flash eg. wedding dinners, wat shutter speed and aperture are recommended for:
    1. taking bride and groom only
    2. taking candid shots of bride and groom
    2. taking group photos
    3. taking candid shots of other people
    Thanks
    There are no definite recommended settings for taking such pictures, because lighting conditions at different places WILL BE different. You can't choose a setting and expect the lighting conditions to fit you. You choose a setting to fit the lighting conditions.

    Instead, think about how to get a correct exposure first.
    Then, choose a shutter speed sufficient enough to eliminate handshake/motion blur or
    an aperture that gives you enough depth of field.

    If you are not sure how to do this, maybe can try working off the P,Av or Tv modes first. As you only have to worry about one setting.
    Last edited by Prismatic; 17th October 2007 at 02:57 AM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Few questions only

    Generally, the larger the aperture the better, to capture some of the background and avoid blackness.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Few questions only

    but large apertures reduce depth of field causing blur in parts of your photos. wedding dinner shots or parties suppose to see all clear?

  5. #5
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Few questions only

    Quote Originally Posted by chjing View Post
    but large apertures reduce depth of field causing blur in parts of your photos. wedding dinner shots or parties suppose to see all clear?
    It depends on how you want to showcase your pics.

    You can have more of the couple pics as such, with the background in low focus... But for the group pics, do get the others into focus as well, so stopping down for group pics is a must.

    Practise more with normal portraits first, then you'd have a better idea on how to achieve the various effects.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  6. #6
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Few questions only

    this need experience from many years of shooting, not reading from the books or forum, but you want some general guild line, here you go.

    with flash TTL, camera manual, 1/30~1/60, also depend on ambient

    1. taking bride and groom only, f4~5.6
    2. taking candid shots of bride and groom, f4~5.6, f2.8 also can, depend what you want
    2. taking group photos, f5.6~f8
    3. taking candid shots of other people, f2.8
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    LA 2019
    Posts
    1,282

    Default Re: Few questions only

    generally use f5.6. still acceptable for most shots. and watch the WB.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Yishun
    Posts
    589

    Default Re: Few questions only

    Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    this need experience from many years of shooting, not reading from the books or forum, but you want some general guild line, here you go.

    with flash TTL, camera manual, 1/30~1/60, also depend on ambient

    1. taking bride and groom only, f4~5.6
    2. taking candid shots of bride and groom, f4~5.6, f2.8 also can, depend what you want
    2. taking group photos, f5.6~f8
    3. taking candid shots of other people, f2.8
    good advice!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •