View Poll Results: How much do you think you will pay for it? If you're interested?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • $8

17 58.62%
  • $10

7 24.14%
  • $12

2 6.90%
  • $15

3 10.34%

Thread: Will you all be interested in this CCD cleaner?

Post Will you all be interested in this CCD cleaner?

Ok, was thinking of making this ccd cleaner and selling it at a price which will cover the trouble of making it.

I've been using it to clean my CCD for a coupla times now and its pretty useful IMO. Compared to getting the supra-expensive sensor swabs, and using the blower to clean the CCD (which never fails to leave some stuborn dustz), cleaning the CCD using this cut-spatula is much more cleaner.

Question is, how much are you willing to pay for it? As if its too cheap, it won't be fun cutting it to size (also setting aside the cost of some unsuccessful cuts). And if its to expensive....no one will get it

So........

Details:
    Made from a Spatula
    Plastic handle
    rubber material upper section (safe for contact with CCD or filter to be exact )
    15mm in width
    `A' shaped tip

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The making of the spatula CCD cleaner was inspired by Nicholas R.
    who posted his creation in dpreview.com
    Last edited by tsystem; 30th April 2003 at 10:54 PM.

i think if it really helps in the cleaning of CCD/CMOS, i wouldnt mind paying more for it...15 or 20..

you're an enterprising young man...

That spatula looks familiar... I think I have the same one and found its still a bit too big when cut down. Even when cut almost the the handle its approx 20mm wide.

Maybe if you found a smaller one about 15mm like the web sites describe.

yes, mine is cut to 15mm, and as stated, I've been using it for a coupla times

any updates on this? I'll be interested to get one.

I think it might be better if you offer a CLEANING service at a nominal sum (say, $5-$10 during SEED). I'm sure there are many people out there who are a bit scared to do this. Make it worthwhile for them to have someone more experienced do it for them. Once they see you doing it, and it is so easy, they may pay to buy the spatula from you (this is called product demonstration). One bottle of Eclipse can go a long way. My experience with Canon CMOS is that it needs to be cleaned very infrequently (once every few months).

BTW you should sell a different sized one for 1D owners...

I have made my own CCD cleaner .... with a plastic cake knife.

Details here:
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...threadid=33955

Hope my article will be of help to all the DSLR users in Clubsnap.

cheers,
    sfhuang

streetshooter: thanks for your valuable suggestion. But i don't see anyone from clubsnap trusting their 2nd love in the hands on an uncertified forumer who only found out how to make a DIY sensor cleaner recently.

sfhuang: cool DIY cleaning article! Thanks for including my nickname there too....feel very honoured

Originally posted by tsystem
    sfhuang: cool DIY cleaning article! Thanks for including my nickname there too....feel very honoured
    You're most welcome. I got my inspiration from your thread mah ...

Default Re: Will you all be interested in this CCD cleaner?

hmmmm.. so how's it going? u still selling the kit? i'm interested leh...

Originally posted by tsystem
    Ok, was thinking of making this ccd cleaner and selling it at a price which will cover the trouble of making it.

I've been using it to clean my CCD for a coupla times now and its pretty useful IMO. Compared to getting the supra-expensive sensor swabs, and using the blower to clean the CCD (which never fails to leave some stuborn dustz), cleaning the CCD using this cut-spatula is much more cleaner.

Question is, how much are you willing to pay for it? As if its too cheap, it won't be fun cutting it to size (also setting aside the cost of some unsuccessful cuts). And if its to expensive....no one will get it

So........

Details:
    Made from a Spatula
    Plastic handle
    rubber material upper section (safe for contact with CCD or filter to be exact )
    15mm in width
    `A' shaped tip

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The making of the spatula CCD cleaner was inspired by Nicholas R.
    who posted his creation in dpreview.com

Default Re: Re: Will you all be interested in this CCD cleaner?

Originally posted by carrot^
    hmmmm.. so how's it going? u still selling the kit? i'm interested leh...
    Other than the CCD cleaner, you can buy the rest (Eclipse cleaning solution + PEC Pads) from CP.

The CCD cleaner isn't that difficult to make. See my DIY article.

vince123123
    Guests

any more news on this? can't seem to see the picture anymore though...

well i would't dare clean the sensors myself........i sent to the camera's service centre to do it......after all it free and i live nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by insport
    well i would't dare clean the sensors myself........i sent to the camera's service centre to do it......after all it free and i live nearby.
    wise choice. My advice is not to clean the CCD yourself. All it takes is just ONE GRAIN of grit to get between the cleaner and the sensor, and it's curtains for the sensor. You might be lucky 1,2,3,10 times, but one day your luck will run out. Unless you do this in a clean room ( I mean clean as in 100% dust free ), there's always a chance of a small grain of dust settling on your lint-free cleaning cloth. Anyone who's tried applying a PDA screen protector and finding dust under the protector will know that dust is everywhere, even on newly opened dust-free items.

The cost of replacing the sensor will probably be close to that of buyging a new 300D. My advice : $50 professional cleaning fee is small price to pay for a $2000 device to avoid a $1500 repair fee. Don't be penny-wise pound-foolish.