Thread: Confusion between Spot Metering & Focusing

Default Confusion between Spot Metering & Focusing

Hi all,

I have a d80 and needs some enlightenment here.

Let say I want to take a scene and I use spot meter to meter the light at a small area. However, I do not want the focus point to be at that spot. Am I right to say that I have to change the focus point to another focus bracket while I still aim the spot meter at that particular spot to meter light? What happen if my intended focus point does not fall within the rest of my focus bracket?

Default Re: Confusion between Spot Metering & Focusing

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer_toons View Post
    Hi all,

I have a d80 and needs some enlightenment here.

Let say I want to take a scene and I use spot meter to meter the light at a small area. However, I do not want the focus point to be at that spot. Am I right to say that I have to change the focus point to another focus bracket while I still aim the spot meter at that particular spot to meter light? What happen if my intended focus point does not fall within the rest of my focus bracket?
    point the focusing point at the place where you want to meter and do a AE-L (Auto-Exposure lock) and then reposition to do the focusing and lastly recompose and snap...

Default Re: Confusion between Spot Metering & Focusing

Another way is to shoot in manual mode. Meter on the spot, get the correct metering, then recompose the picture at your desired focal point.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site