Thread: Advice Needed For AD Wedding Shoot

Default Advice Needed For AD Wedding Shoot

Hi, not a newbie to photography but a newbie at wedding shoots. Hope kind souls experienced in AD wedding shoot can help me out.

In a months time will be my friend's wedding day. Though they have already engaged a photographer to cover the whole day event, I'm thinking of offering my photography and present to them as a gift for the newly weds(Maybe for the day event only). What do you guys reckon? Not sure if my kit is good enough for AD wedding shoots.... Please advice

Equipment I owned

Canon EOS 30D w/kit lens and battery grip
    Speedlight 580EX w/omnibounce

Blog Entries

Default Re: Advice Needed For AD Wedding Shoot

if u are not asked to be a photographer for them, dun. just go and enjoy the day.

not being mean - but since they already have a photographer, let him/her do the job that he/she is paid for. u probably will get in his/her way, which might ruin his/her shot and hence get a scolding from the couple for missing a key shot.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

It is adviseable to inform the couple of your intentions. However, the official photog might have an assistant photog as well plus a videographer. So it might get crowded.

take "fun" shots of the guests will be better for you. since all couple shots of the couple will get really boring.

I agree with the rest that you should inform the couple to let them know you want to shoot. Do take note that as a 2nd or maybe even 3rd photographer, you should always give in to the main photographer for positions and shooting priority.
    For things like the tea ceremony, max number of photographers would be 2. For church, outdoor and dinner, there'll be more space, so there may be more photographers. Still, it's best to check with the couple.

As for your kit, you'll have to use with flash most of the time indoors as the kit lens is not very fast. If you want to do ambient light photography, I suggest getting a 50 1.8. It's a very capable lens if used properly.

Hope this helps.

Thankz guys for all your valuable advice. Guess either I have to inform them or just sit back and enjoy their happy occasion. hahah...... Thank you all once again....

vince

Concentrate on the candids aspect, relatives and friends of the wedding as the main PG will not have much time doing that ,too much key shot to take
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

shooting is alright....but get something different from what the main guy does...else it would be redundant....

Quote Originally Posted by vince_vodka View Post
    Thankz guys for all your valuable advice. Guess either I have to inform them or just sit back and enjoy their happy occasion. hahah...... Thank you all once again....

vince
    and if possible really enjoy the day without even taking out the camera or bringing it along.

Quote Originally Posted by genegoh View Post
    I agree with the rest that you should inform the couple to let them know you want to shoot. Do take note that as a 2nd or maybe even 3rd photographer, you should always give in to the main photographer for positions and shooting priority.
    For things like the tea ceremony, max number of photographers would be 2. For church, outdoor and dinner, there'll be more space, so there may be more photographers. Still, it's best to check with the couple.

As for your kit, you'll have to use with flash most of the time indoors as the kit lens is not very fast. If you want to do ambient light photography, I suggest getting a 50 1.8. It's a very capable lens if used properly.

Hope this helps.

Hi there, seen your portfolio, especially the wedding section. Was it all done by using ambient photography using the 50 1.8 you suggested? thanks...

Get a 50 mm and shoot without flash. Without getting in the way of the photographers, stand alongside with the other guests and capture fleeting moments of the laughter and smiles from the guests; not to forget the parents of the bride and groom too.

Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    Get a 50 mm and shoot without flash. Without getting in the way of the photographers, stand alongside with the other guests and capture fleeting moments of the laughter and smiles from the guests; not to forget the parents of the bride and groom too.
    I agree about getting some shots from the guest perspective. But as for lens, I strongly recommend Sigma's 30/1.4.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.