Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm going to buy film SLR soon

Originally posted by mervlam
    ok.... then give me an example of this kind of situation where the EV drops below 1 EV, else i'm not convinced.
    Doesn't have to be specifically 1EV. All things being equal,in theory the one that has better sensitivity should hunt less in any low-light/low contrast situation.

Like dim stage event with a zoom lens for example.

In any case I'm not even out to convince you since I'm just asking for an opinion from someone who has used both systems.

The last canon I tried (300V) was outperformed in dim indoor lighting when compared to my minolta using a similar standard zoom lens and another person's F80 with a 80-200f2.8.

What I'm interested in now is how the EOS30 would compare when stacked against the F80 in a similar situation.

Some points:

1. Focus assist beam range is less than range of flash, so if you're trying to focus on something not that near, then you can't rely on the flash AF assist beam.

2. I would tend to think a system rated -1 to 19 EV would work better than one rated 1-18 EV in a 2 to 3 EV lighting situation. Maybe you wouldn't even need to find a high contrast area to AF on with a F80 compared to a EOS 30?

Originally posted by reflecx
    Some points:

1. Focus assist beam range is less than range of flash, so if you're trying to focus on something not that near, then you can't rely on the flash AF assist beam.

2. I would tend to think a system rated -1 to 19 EV would work better than one rated 1-18 EV in a 2 to 3 EV lighting situation. Maybe you wouldn't even need to find a high contrast area to AF on with a F80 compared to a EOS 30?
    Both points are precisely what I mentioned in earlier posts.

Just hoping that someone can supply a definite confirmation/rebuttal of this. Are the specifications indeed accurate?

Hmm... I'm quite intrigued with the idea of -1EV.... what's it like? Total darkness?

Well, my EOS 3 don't really have a problem in focusing in low-light, and it's AF working range is just a modest 0-18. And most of the time I'm not even using L-lens, which will naturally be brighter.

For the EOS 30, you will have to ask Merv, though I really hate the focus-assist lamp.... think it's too damn bright.

Default AF

Generally I think the F80 user zerstorer has mentioned above is me. I feel that how sensitive an AF sensor is more or less what the user intend to use the camera for. Well lets say if the lighting of a place is dim wouldn't a camera with a higher ev range or whatever u call it focus better?

Well my final say would still be if the user intend to go to the extend of using AF as in the event of sports photography or taking photo in concerts in a dim lighted situation? If yes, then a camera with a better Af sensor is therefore required.

Originally posted by Hydesg
    i think im getting the eOS 30 then
    plus a 50mm f1.8 lens first

would that be a good choice?
    no zoom first
    becayuse not enough cash on hand
    Back to you..

Hey, if the EOS 30 is going for 650 as Zekai advises, you are right on for getting it.

Interesting that you are going for the 50mm. Actually that was THE lens that most slrs were shipped with long long time ago, before zoom lens kit became standard.

You will love this setup, and get very fit too, shifting and moving around. but there is never a better way to learn photography than to start with this lens!

Enjoy yourself!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12