Thread: Singapore Flyer Photography Contest

Default Singapore Flyer Photography Contest

I happen to chance upon their website and got to view some of their winning photos. It is simply captivating and appealing especially those night scene photos. So for those who love photography or skilled in it should participate in the Singapore Flyer Photography Contest.

You can visit the link below to view the winning photos for Aug & Sep:
    http://www.singaporeflyer.com.sg/sf_...st/results.php

On top of that, there are attractive prizes to be won. In case you don't know what's a Singapore Flyer, it is the world's tallest giant observation wheel along marina bay. For more information on the contest, you can log onto their official website www.singaporeflyer.com.sg

If you want to be be informed of their new promotions, contests and lucky draws, you can sign up for their free e-blast at http://www.singaporeflyer.com.sg/eblast/.

Default Re: Singapore Flyer Photography Contest

Are you here just to promote the competition? I apologise if you are not, but if you are, I think maybe it's better to just explain your here clearly instead of beating around the bush about chancing upon the competition.

I also think that the members should boycott such competitions which automatically make your images properties of the organisers, ie this one.

2. Each Contestant must own the copyrights of the photographs submitted by him. All entries become the property of Singapore Flyer Pte Ltd. Entering this Contest means that the Contestant consent to the use of their name, address and/or photograph, without further compensation, in any promotion, publicity, advertising and/or sales and marketing materials carried out by Singapore Flyer Pte Ltd and/or Sponsors in connection with this Contest or other promotions and for general news and information purposes throughout the world and in perpetuity.

This is the cheapest and easiest way for companies to get free images to promote themselves, and most of the prizes do not even come from them. Such blantant disrespect of the creativity of photographers should be strongly deplored. It is disgusting that they use the images to get so much more income compared to the value of the prizes.
    Last edited by insanne; 17th October 2007 at 10:04 AM.

What an insight! Taking 2nd look at the thing now...

Thanks Inssane!
    | www.falconite.com | flickr |
    Canon Equipments

Photography is generally not well-respected in Singahpoh. Such cheapskate tactics by local companies are frequently used. Nothing surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Photography is generally not well-respected in Singahpoh. Such cheapskate tactics by local companies are frequently used. Nothing surprising.
    err .... dont just blast singahpoh lah ..... this 'local company' is run by many FT ...

Quote Originally Posted by falconite View Post
    What an insight! Taking 2nd look at the thing now...

Thanks Inssane!
    If it bothers you then you can forget about participating in any photography competitions here because most(if not all) will have this clause. And yes, these people are cheap.

Insanne, what are you up to now? Will give you a call when I'm free(if I'll ever be).

To me, it is ok if my pictures are one of the prize winners, however having such condition like all submissions whether win or not becomes the organiser's property, is out of the question.

From the start, whenever I see such condition tagged to a competition, I will not even consider joining in for the shoot. It is just lame excuse for the organiser to get lots of pictures without having to pay photographer's effort.

Having an 2nd look does not mean the other exteme pointview.... The world is not just only black and white!
    | www.falconite.com | flickr |
    Canon Equipments

Correct. Those once submitted means theirs ones are a no no. At least winners = prize = commissioning.
    Andy Ang :lovegrin: - "A Photo speaks a thousand words. Have you spoken today?"
    APAD | Blog

Thought of sending my entry but now think twice...
    Not that my photo will be good enough but to think all the effort suddenly becomes theirs is absurd..
    5DMKIiI|24-105f4L|50f1.4|70-200f2.8L|400f5.6L
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/raymond101/

well, if you look at the people behind the flyer, they had never been much observers of creativity or copyrights traditionally, so much for the talks of protection of intellectual and copy rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    If it bothers you then you can forget about participating in any photography competitions here because most(if not all) will have this clause. And yes, these people are cheap.

Insanne, what are you up to now? Will give you a call when I'm free(if I'll ever be).
    why don't you call me instead...

Quote Originally Posted by insanne View Post
    well, if you look at the people behind the flyer, they had never been much observers of creativity or copyrights traditionally, so much for the talks of protection of intellectual and copy rights.
    Yeah...Talking about the people behind the flyer and no creativity... so uncanny now that I heard their designer died?!

I also think twice now...

Quote Originally Posted by cykic View Post
    Yeah...Talking about the people behind the flyer and no creativity... so uncanny now that I heard their designer died?!

I also think twice now...

actually that aside, it's rather hard to blame the foreign designers/architects for how their Singapore projects turn out. Most of the time, their designs became watered down after going thru so many rounds with the conservative clients and authorities. It is no wonder all we get are 2nd rated buildings that were mostly not mentioned at the international forums.

Quote Originally Posted by insanne View Post
    actually that aside, it's rather hard to blame the foreign designers/architects for how their Singapore projects turn out. Most of the time, their designs became watered down after going thru so many rounds with the conservative clients and authorities. It is no wonder all we get are 2nd rated buildings that were mostly not mentioned at the international forums.
    We have the esplanade!

Quote Originally Posted by GavinTing View Post
    We have the esplanade!
    err....yah, right....