Thread: Need recommendation for compact

Default Need recommendation for compact

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new compact since my trusty Canon A80 decides to retire few days ago. I was considering DSLR at first but I feel not quite ready due to price and form factor. I would love to have a sleek cam like the Sony T200 or Canon IXUS, but I already have a decent Cybershot phone (K800i) which is good enough for casual point and shoot, so there's little point having two cameras in my pockets.

I'm an educator who takes a lot of performance photos of children. The new Canon G9 seems to be a natural upgrade for me. It's good looking, compact and powerful. Is G9 a good choice? How about other prosumer cams in the market? Recommendations please

Default Re: Need recommendation for compact

Quote Originally Posted by Tucksoon View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm looking for a new compact since my trusty Canon A80 decides to retire few days ago. I was considering DSLR at first but I feel not quite ready due to price and form factor. I would love to have a sleek cam like the Sony T200 or Canon IXUS, but I already have a decent Cybershot phone (K800i) which is good enough for casual point and shoot, so there's little point having two cameras in my pockets.

I'm an educator who takes a lot of performance photos of children. The new Canon G9 seems to be a natural upgrade for me. It's good looking, compact and powerful. Is G9 a good choice? How about other prosumer cams in the market? Recommendations please
    Canon G9
    Fuji S8000
    Fuji F50
    Fuji F40
    Ricoh GX-100
    Olymus SP560UZ
    Pentaxian for Life
    K1, KP, FA*28-70/2.8, FA31, 43 & FA77 Limiteds, K85/1.8, FA*200/2.8, A50/1.2

Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    Canon G9
    Fuji S8000
    Fuji F50
    Fuji F40
    Ricoh GX-100
    Olymus SP560UZ
    If I'm not wrong, these cams varied a lot in form factor. The S8000 is SLR-like, while the F50/F40 are slim ones?

A quick question: How would G9 compare with an entry level DSLR in terms of capturing sports and performance scenes?