Thread: 12V battery?

vince123123
    Guests

Default 12V battery?

I have a DC Motor Fan which can be plugged into the car's cigarette socket to be powered.

I understand that the cigarette socket outputs 12V.

Now, I want to get an external battery - price doesn't matter, but weight/power does - so I'm looking for something that has the best weight/power ratio. I need something that can run for two nights at least (use in an outdoor camp situation).

Sealed Lead Acid batteries that we can get from SLT seem to be very heavy.

The next alternative I've seen are those external notebook batteries - they seemt o be made of lithium which appears to have a good weight/power ratio. The downside is that these batteries output 15V or 16V.

Will connecting my 12V DC Fan to a 15 or 16V battery damage either the fan or battery in any way?

Any other suggestions on a good weight/power battery alternative?

Some help would be appreciated.

Default Re: 12V battery?

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    I have a DC Motor Fan which can be plugged into the car's cigarette socket to be powered.

I understand that the cigarette socket outputs 12V.

Now, I want to get an external battery - price doesn't matter, but weight/power does - so I'm looking for something that has the best weight/power ratio. I need something that can run for two nights at least (use in an outdoor camp situation).

Sealed Lead Acid batteries that we can get from SLT seem to be very heavy.

The next alternative I've seen are those external notebook batteries - they seemt o be made of lithium which appears to have a good weight/power ratio. The downside is that these batteries output 15V or 16V.

Will connecting my 12V DC Fan to a 15 or 16V battery damage either the fan or battery in any way?

Any other suggestions on a good weight/power battery alternative?

Some help would be appreciated.
    that depends how much power the fan draws.

if your fan draws very low ampere, then use battery packs will do. like make a small casing made out of 8 1.5V batteries or 10 rechargable 1.2v batteries. can even use solar powered if u want...

but dunno how big your fan is anyway...

connect 12VDC fan to a 15 or 16V won't kill it immediately, will make it move faster... more shiok... but will burn up faster as well.

vince123123
    Guests

Not sure how to tell how much ampere it draws, but it doesn't sound like much. That said, I dont think those packs will cut it. I have a small sealed lead acid battery the size of a medium lowepro pouch and it only gives a runtime of 12 hours.

If I connect it ot the 16V battery, does it mean the fan will spoil? Is that what you mean by burn?

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    that depends how much power the fan draws.

if your fan draws very low ampere, then use battery packs will do. like make a small casing made out of 8 1.5V batteries or 10 rechargable 1.2v batteries. can even use solar powered if u want...

but dunno how big your fan is anyway...

connect 12VDC fan to a 15 or 16V won't kill it immediately, will make it move faster... more shiok... but will burn up faster as well.

Not sure how to tell how much ampere it draws, but it doesn't sound like much. That said, I dont think those packs will cut it. I have a small sealed lead acid battery the size of a medium lowepro pouch and it only gives a runtime of 12 hours.

If I connect it ot the 16V battery, does it mean the fan will spoil? Is that what you mean by burn?
    eventually burn... faster than its projected lifespan.

cos it spin faster, die faster... cos inside still a motor, it will overheat & bye bye...

vince123123
    Guests

Hmm if use the 12V rated will it eventually burn out and die?

If it takes say, 100 hours to burn a 12V rated, does it take say, 75 hours for a 16V? Proportional?

Hmm if use the 12V rated will it eventually burn out and die?

If it takes say, 100 hours to burn a 12V rated, does it take say, 75 hours for a 16V? Proportional?
    nope...

should be alot faster...