Thread: My son & new born

Default My son & new born

Hi, I'm a newbie in photography, can I have some comments/critiques pleazz...

I would like feedback on composition, black&white tones.
    1/30sec, 33mm, f/4.5
    Last edited by eikin; 11th October 2007 at 03:28 PM. Reason: embed image.

Default Re: My son & new born

Congratulations on your newborn!

Well, the first thing is to take note of the focusing. Nothing looks sharp in the photo.

Secondly, try to achieve eye contact with the subject because otherwise, its a mere snapshot than anything else. If the boy was doing something more exciting that would be more reasonable.

Thirdly, the composition is unbalanced where most of the subjects seem to be squeezed to the left, that empty spaces on the right served no purpose right? If given this same picture, compose the spaces to the left and the subjects closer to the right. Rules of the third basically.

Fourthly, the flash, you did use it yes? It killed the ambient lighting so much so the foreground has a brighter scene than the background. This is bad for a photograph. You might wish to increase your ISO to maybe between 400-800 while keeping your aperture and shutter speed the same.

I hoped my humble knowledge helped in a way or two

Hi sprintist,

Thanks for your time, and all the pointers, definitely a big help for my future photos.

Congrats on your newborn! Do take a look in the potraits section for other baby photo shoots posted by CSers and you will know what we mean when we say eye contact is impt Keep shooting!
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

Quote Originally Posted by yehosaphat View Post
    Congrats on your newborn! Do take a look in the potraits section for other baby photo shoots posted by CSers and you will know what we mean when we say eye contact is impt Keep shooting!
    Will do, thks