Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DSLR decisions...

Default Re: DSLR decisions...

I bought Canon because I heard that the service centre fees were cheaper lol! And for $600 it was hard to find to find a second-hand Nikon DSLR. LOL!

That may be the truth you face each day but it doesn't make it right and surely it doesn't represent the entire market, else all pros using Nikons would be out of business by now.

From what I understand, many pros in US use medium format digital for advertising/fashion shoots, not because the no of MP, but because of the sheer quality of medium format (no of bits, less noise, better dynamic range) and the high quality requirements of the clients. As you know, even 16 MP from a Hassy is far better than 16 MP from a 1D.

You know nothing about me, so don't presuppose what I would do in any situation. I would choose based on who can do the job well, not on the camera he uses or the car he drives. Of course, if he turns up using a prosumer camera, I'll wonder. But whether he's using 20D or 30D or 40D or 5D or 1D (and if it's 1D, does it matter if it's Mk I, II or III?)-- does it make a difference to me? Once a certain equipment threshold is passed, it's enough to establish that you're a "pro". What I want is a certain quality and the photographer can decide what tool he wants to use to deliver it.

Quote Originally Posted by randytay View Post
    That is the first thing they ask too and that goes without saying, but some clients like to act as if they know what they are talking about to prevent themselves from being ripped off. We are all guilty of that once in a while, so it doesnt hurt to actually have the tools for the job. Futher, if going by what you say, then there is no reason for pros to get the 1Ds2, 1Ds3, D2 etc. We can all survive on 10Ds and D100s. Even the Hassys, Leafs and Phase Ones would have to be out of business by now.

It is all part of a negotiating process, and to a certain extent, I do not agree with you. Would you pay 10,000 to a photographer for avertising photography if he uses a D100 even if he has an awesome portfolio? Bear in mind the advertising photography fees hre in NYC is in the region of USD30,000 on average.

Gone are the days where the person behind the tools are more imortant because, if it was 10 years ago, it really does not matter which SLR you have. With the right film and ceteris paribus, you can take a 35mm SLR manufactured in 1980s and a 35mm SLR manufactured in the 1970s and get 99% identical quality. This is not so with digital.

There are even some jobs that even the 1DsII are not suffificient and that is where rental comes in. On rare occasions, we would have to rent the Hassy

Using your analogy, you would not go into a fine dining restaurant and pay $70 for chicken rice
    Last edited by waileong; 13th October 2007 at 08:53 AM.

As the Chinese say......" Black Cat or White Cat, as long as the cat that catches the mouse is the cat"........Relax man......chill guys.....Selamat Hari Raya!
    Blacklisted List......Underdog and 82511722

Quote Originally Posted by waileong View Post
    That may be the truth you face each day but it doesn't make it right and surely it doesn't represent the entire market, else all pros using Nikons would be out of business by now.

From what I understand, many pros in US use medium format digital for advertising/fashion shoots, not because the no of MP, but because of the sheer quality of medium format (no of bits, less noise, better dynamic range) and the high quality requirements of the clients. As you know, even 16 MP from a Hassy is far better than 16 MP from a 1D.

You know nothing about me, so don't presuppose what I would do in any situation. I would choose based on who can do the job well, not on the camera he uses or the car he drives. Of course, if he turns up using a prosumer camera, I'll wonder. But whether he's using 20D or 30D or 40D or 5D or 1D (and if it's 1D, does it matter if it's Mk I, II or III?)-- does it make a difference to me? Once a certain equipment threshold is passed, it's enough to establish that you're a "pro". What I want is a certain quality and the photographer can decide what tool he wants to use to deliver it.
    yup... pixel count is one thing, it doesnt really matter what equips one use when he exceeds that equipment threshold, its how well he uses that equip, and how he knows to make the best out of it than being a gadget owner.
    the difference is that in singapore most of us are stuck in the 35mm SLR mentality, and subsequently the DSLR mentality, closely and mentally tied to 35mm etc.

in the states, there are many people who work with medium formats in the industry, and its not difficult to rent a leaf or a hassy with lots of lenses to choose from... its difficult to even find one for rent in sg.

if i were to join the industry, i'll find myself getting one of the digital backs or a medium format digital body, these equips are very technologically advanced, has all the pixels you need, and has a far wider dynamic range. one of these can last for many years, and perhaps costs peanuts given that the industry is so lucrative if done well

of course different jobs will need different cameras, you dont expect anyone shooting medium format bursting shots for sports no?
    chezburgr i can haz?

I started with Minolta flim SLR and 2 Nikon SLR. Sold all those and bought a Canon EOS 5 SLR. Now I'm back to Nikon. Why? Can't explain but it makes me feel good holding a Nikon which I do not feel when I'm holding my EOS 5. Even holding my old F601M feels better than the EOS5. Feels robust and reliable. And when I feel good I take better pictures. It's all in the mind so it's all very personal. But you ask why I choose the system and this is it.
    - Luenny

[QUOTE=randytay;3460935]
    When you bought your first DSLR or if you are contemplating on getting one, other than price, what was the main factor that influence you towards Canon or Nikon?[QUOTE]

Performance.

For me, features and comfort. So I skipped C and N.
    Alpha

That is the first thing they ask too and that goes without saying, but some clients like to act as if they know what they are talking about to prevent themselves from being ripped off. We are all guilty of that once in a while, so it doesnt hurt to actually have the tools for the job. Futher, if going by what you say, then there is no reason for pros to get the 1Ds2, 1Ds3, D2 etc. We can all survive on 10Ds and D100s. Even the Hassys, Leafs and Phase Ones would have to be out of business by now.

It is all part of a negotiating process, and to a certain extent, I do not agree with you. Would you pay 10,000 to a photographer for avertising photography if he uses a D100 even if he has an awesome portfolio? Bear in mind the advertising photography fees hre in NYC is in the region of USD30,000 on average.

Gone are the days where the person behind the tools are more imortant because, if it was 10 years ago, it really does not matter which SLR you have. With the right film and ceteris paribus, you can take a 35mm SLR manufactured in 1980s and a 35mm SLR manufactured in the 1970s and get 99% identical quality. This is not so with digital.

There are even some jobs that even the 1DsII are not suffificient and that is where rental comes in. On rare occasions, we would have to rent the Hassy

Using your analogy, you would not go into a fine dining restaurant and pay $70 for chicken rice
    So, you show them your portfolio; do they then look to see if you have a 30D/40D etc etc ?

Are they going to know if you showed them ?

They want the job done and done right.

I process photo's for a customer that still uses a 10D and he is full time and gets plenty of work.

Time, is an effortless construction :)

I believe you've answered your question yourself.
    Gallery | Facebook Page Spreading the Good photography.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12