Thread: Correction for Colours: Mac to print

Default Correction for Colours: Mac to print

Saw one of CSer's post on Mac, reminded me to ask my burning question

Do i need to do any correction for pics when i send them for printing in a lab using windows? Eg. i had some pics which looked great in my laptop but when i sent it for print, the colors turn out dull. (i understand that could be the guys at the lab who screw up but in general do i need to correct it?)

thanks MUGers!!

Default Re: Correction for Colours: Mac to print

Ask them to supply you with their printer profile and embed that profile in your picture. Then calibrate you monitor using a calibrator. Should be good that way.

If not, ask the lab what profile to use when you send in your pictures. Normally they would ask for sRGB, so check if that is the profile embedded in your pics.

Also take note: If you work on your file using a wider gamut like aRGB or proPhoto, prints will generally be more dull if the lab is using a generic profile.

HTH.

thanks for the reply! How about the gamma setting? Since Mac uses a diff gamma setting compared to windows, would it be a contributing factor also?

Quote Originally Posted by ptwong View Post
    thanks for the reply! How about the gamma setting? Since Mac uses a diff gamma setting compared to windows, would it be a contributing factor also?

The gamma settings are touched only if you "eyeball" it. If you do, use industry standard of 2.2 (apple is 1.8). But if you use a calibration software, its all set for you.