Thread: Through the Kaleidoscope

Default Through the Kaleidoscope

Hi all, I have been thinking of how to take a pic with kaleidoscopic effect for quite some time but just could not come up with a good way. I just bought a +4 Close Up Filter and was trying out a few close up pics of small objects around the house and was taking pics of a piece of crystal. Halfway through I happened to put my hand behind the crystals and multiple reflections of it came up. An idea struck my mind and I took a small doll with lots of colourful little balloon balls and place it behind the crystals to generate the kaleidoscopic effect.

This is the pic I get after quite a few tries. I chose yellow and pink as I feel it has a better effect than purple and green.

Taken with a Tamron 135mm, think is f16(lens is not CPU lens, no EXIF)

I would like to have your comments about the composition, and the focusing and choice of colours. I find that I have a very hard time trying to things in focus as the DOF is very shallow. Its either I focus and make the balls clear and the crystal edges blurred out or the crystals edges clear and the balls blurred. As I can only post 1 pic for the critique I chose this as I feel it has the best effect. I would like to know if there's any way I can take the pic better as I cant seems to get what I see.

Default Re: Through the Kaleidoscope

Try manual focusing and get the colours in focus... Now, neither the colours or the glass is in focus dude. You can also saturate the colours and make it pop!
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

Quote Originally Posted by tkbonz View Post
    Try manual focusing and get the colours in focus... Now, neither the colours or the glass is in focus dude. You can also saturate the colours and make it pop!
    The lens is a manual focus lens.... I have pics for both the balls and the crystal edge in focus.... but it doesnt looks anything great as well... So i'm quite stumped.

I think the problem here is the sharpness of the picture may be u try another lens