Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Recommended size of photos

  1. #1

    Default Recommended size of photos

    Hi all!

    I just purchased the Olympus E-510 and I'm wondering what kind of resolution and quality should I set as the bare minimum for starting a portfolio?

    I intend to practice and practice till I can build up a nice set of photos and I am just wondering what is the normally accepted size that is required for professional use or serious work.

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Recommended size of photos

    Quote Originally Posted by KSeet View Post
    Hi all!

    I just purchased the Olympus E-510 and I'm wondering what kind of resolution and quality should I set as the bare minimum for starting a portfolio?

    I intend to practice and practice till I can build up a nice set of photos and I am just wondering what is the normally accepted size that is required for professional use or serious work.

    Thanks!
    Always set to RAW

    Industry sizes of portfolio for photographers is 11x14.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Recommended size of photos

    Quote Originally Posted by randytay View Post
    Always set to RAW

    Industry sizes of portfolio for photographers is 11x14.
    Hmm okie Thanks for the advice Randy!

    11x14 ..that would be 7 Megapixels and above? 3072 x 2304 I guess.

    Thanks!

    Time to get a new hard disk! hahaha

  4. #4

    Default Re: Recommended size of photos

    yup. shoot in raw
    and use the largest size available - u can always easily resize ur pics to the needed size and the extra size gives u space to crop is necessary

    its not easy to make ur pic larger if u need it, so go from big to small not the other way around

    as for storage space, i believe its not too much a factor; consider the 25mb per pic from the 1ds mk III

  5. #5
    Senior Member dorts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    2,173

    Default Re: Recommended size of photos

    Quote Originally Posted by KSeet View Post
    Hi all!

    I just purchased the Olympus E-510 and I'm wondering what kind of resolution and quality should I set as the bare minimum for starting a portfolio?

    I intend to practice and practice till I can build up a nice set of photos and I am just wondering what is the normally accepted size that is required for professional use or serious work.

    Thanks!
    Don't worry about size and just shoot! 10MP should be more than enough.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Recommended size of photos

    Thanks guys for the tips and info! I'll start shooting asap! And I'll start posting for your critiques.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Recommended size of photos

    My camera has the following options.

    NEF (RAW)
    JPEG Fine
    JPEG Normal
    JPEG Basic
    NEF (RAW) + JPEG Basic

    What is good enought for a A4 print for a 10MP DSLR?

    What is the different between NEF (RAW) & JPEG Fine & JPEG Normal?

    Please advise and appreciate.
    Nikon D40X + Sigma 18-200mm OS HSM

  8. #8
    Senior Member dorts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    2,173

    Default Re: Recommended size of photos

    Quote Originally Posted by coolride View Post
    My camera has the following options.

    NEF (RAW)
    JPEG Fine
    JPEG Normal
    JPEG Basic
    NEF (RAW) + JPEG Basic

    What is good enought for a A4 print for a 10MP DSLR?

    What is the different between NEF (RAW) & JPEG Fine & JPEG Normal?

    Please advise and appreciate.
    A RAW file is basically self-explanatory. RAW. Which means unprocessed. When you take a picture, the sensor captures the image and process it to get your JPEG format. So a RAW would be one that hasn't been processed and you would need to do that using software on your computer. Advantages of RAW files have already been explained many times. Do a search.

    JPEG Fine and Normal, difference would be in the compression, which would reduce file size, but also quality.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Recommended size of photos

    I like to shoot in both RAW and JPEG as I don't do a lot of tweaking such as exposure, JPEG is usually sufficient. However, to be on the safe size, I keep a copy of the RAW file. However, do take note if you have sufficient storage space.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Recommended size of photos

    Quote Originally Posted by subxero View Post
    I like to shoot in both RAW and JPEG as I don't do a lot of tweaking such as exposure, JPEG is usually sufficient. However, to be on the safe size, I keep a copy of the RAW file. However, do take note if you have sufficient storage space.
    I think I'll have to get a 200GB HDD to be safe. If a photo is sized at 20MB, then that gives me only enough space for 10,000 images. Not much space hor..

  11. #11
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Recommended size of photos

    woa 200GB ..
    There is always option of DVD backup which i feel is more trustworthy than leaving everything in a HDD

    We will love to see your work!

    Peace

    Ryan

  12. #12

    Default Re: Recommended size of photos

    Quote Originally Posted by KSeet View Post
    I think I'll have to get a 200GB HDD to be safe. If a photo is sized at 20MB, then that gives me only enough space for 10,000 images. Not much space hor..
    Quite true.. Now I know why I got a 500GB HDD

    By the way, do you still keep all the RAW files after you convert them to Jpeg? If not, then I think space is not so much of a problem here.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Recommended size of photos

    Hmm..I'm just starting my foray into DSLR work. Don't know if I'm going to keep my best images only. But even the normal shots that I take without RAW will already be almost 2MB in size. And I tend to shoot a lot at one outing.

    I'll see when the time comes!

    And I'll try to post when I start shooting!

    Thanks for the info and encouragement!

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    North
    Posts
    2,703

    Default Re: Recommended size of photos

    Shoot RAW or the largest jpeg format. Former when you are into PP, latter if you cant be bothered with too much of PP...
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

  15. #15

    Default Re: Recommended size of photos

    I like to do post processing but haven't tried it on a RAW image yet.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •