Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photoshop Test 2

Default Re: Photoshop Test 2

Quote Originally Posted by jOhO View Post
    same specs as above on CS3 = 14s
    We have almost the same specs but I'm running Vista 32bit with 2GB RAM.
    Your results are better by 5 seconds. I wonder if its because of vista

Quote Originally Posted by seankyh View Post
    We have almost the same specs but I'm running Vista 32bit with 2GB RAM.
    Your results are better by 5 seconds. I wonder if its because of vista
    yeah.. probably vista... i'm not sure also but i know i probably won't touch vista for at least another 12 months..

yeah.. probably vista... i'm not sure also but i know i probably won't touch vista for at least another 12 months..

Not too bad lar. Just make sure you install vista on non mission critical PCs. I installed vista on all my PCs at home except my work notebook . So far so good. I don't have driver compatibility issues at all. But it sucks that Vista 32 bit cannot address more than 3GB of RAM..

Hey Guys, for those using 32 bit systems, the OS can't access the full 4GB Ram, it's a waste of $$ to put 4GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycelim View Post
    Hey Guys, for those using 32 bit systems, the OS can't access the full 4GB Ram, it's a waste of $$ to put 4GB.
    correct me if i'm wrong, cuz actually i feel that's a general misconception that 32bit systems cannot comsume 4gb of ram.
    from what i see, it's more like the OS doesnt allow a single program to access more than 3gb of ram.
    so what actually happens on my workstations is that the OS will occupy about 1gb of ram, while the remainder will be used by photoshop, which is almost 3gb. so in this case, all 4gb are well utilised.
    sigh.

I won't touch VISTA at all. Not now or ever.

Microsoft have been told to dump VISTA.

Quote Originally Posted by Clown View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong, cuz actually i feel that's a general misconception that 32bit systems cannot comsume 4gb of ram.
    from what i see, it's more like the OS doesnt allow a single program to access more than 3gb of ram.
    so what actually happens on my workstations is that the OS will occupy about 1gb of ram, while the remainder will be used by photoshop, which is almost 3gb. so in this case, all 4gb are well utilised.
    Mine CS3 is currently at 3.37GB worth of RAM and the remainder on the OS itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    Mine CS3 is currently at 3.37GB worth of RAM and the remainder on the OS itself.
    eh bro u running 64bit leh..

he talking about 32bit.

anyway i read somewhere that ps CAN access more than the so called 3gb of ram that windows (32bit) allows. but i will be hard pressed to find that article again. i believe it's on the adobe main site, one of their more technical articles.

Interesting.. now I'm very tempted to hoot another 2GB of RAM

eh bro u running 64bit leh..

he talking about 32bit.

anyway i read somewhere that ps CAN access more than the so called 3gb of ram that windows (32bit) allows. but i will be hard pressed to find that article again. i believe it's on the adobe main site, one of their more technical articles.
    most ASUS motherboards has this thing called memory remap feature in the BIOS. it helps to get more then the 3GB limit in windows.

Quote Originally Posted by seankyh View Post
    Interesting.. now I'm very tempted to hoot another 2GB of RAM
    Buy first, think later.

Slightly older computer for me

39 seconds 2 seconds

PS CS 3 Extended
    Win XP Pro SP1 (32 bit)

AMD X2 4200+ (Toldeo) [Go go 939!!]
    ASUS A8N SLI
    1024 MB DDR 400 (2.5,3,3,8)
    470 GB Seagate Barracuda SATA II

Had ZoneAlarm, Avast, Trillian Pro, Google talk, Firefox with 25 tabs and Foobar2000 open.

I just upgraded my processor, from a Venice (the single core version of my current X2). Wonder how much of a difference it would make running it with that.

Just to clarify on the whole 32bit / 64bit OS RAM usage huh-hah.

There's one thing which most people don't realize with respect to the limitations of 32bit Memory Allocations; a 32bit operating system is not limited to 4GB of RAM, but rather, is limited to allocating a maximum of 4GB of address space (memory) to hardware in your computer.

The problem here is that RAM is not the only thing which requires memory allocation in your computer. Devices such as your graphics card, sound card, any devices under the PCI bridge, so on and so forth, will also require memory allocation. Which means that it is technically impossible for a 32bit Operating System to detect 4GB of RAM, because in addition to allocating address space to the RAM, the Operating System must also allocate address space to all the beforementioned devices in your computer as well.

If your computer with 4GB of RAM, running in a 32bit environment, allocated all of the 4GB of address space to just your RAM, all other devices will cease to function... hence why it is typical for a 32bit Operating System to detect approximately 3.25GB of RAM (because that's the amount of address space the Operating System has allocated to RAM) instead of the full 4GB, because the other 0.75GB (or so) is used to allocate address space to the rest of the devices in your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Entrope View Post
    Just to clarify on the whole 32bit / 64bit OS RAM usage huh-hah.

There's one thing which most people don't realize with respect to the limitations of 32bit Memory Allocations; a 32bit operating system is not limited to 4GB of RAM, but rather, is limited to allocating a maximum of 4GB of address space (memory) to hardware in your computer.

The problem here is that RAM is not the only thing which requires memory allocation in your computer. Devices such as your graphics card, sound card, any devices under the PCI bridge, so on and so forth, will also require memory allocation. Which means that it is technically impossible for a 32bit Operating System to detect 4GB of RAM, because in addition to allocating address space to the RAM, the Operating System must also allocate address space to all the beforementioned devices in your computer as well.

If your computer with 4GB of RAM, running in a 32bit environment, allocated all of the 4GB of address space to just your RAM, all other devices will cease to function... hence why it is typical for a 32bit Operating System to detect approximately 3.25GB of RAM (because that's the amount of address space the Operating System has allocated to RAM) instead of the full 4GB, because the other 0.75GB (or so) is used to allocate address space to the rest of the devices in your computer.
    yo bro how u been ahhahha...

so one simple question: 32bit OS (like win xp), put 4gb of ram, good or not? and if more?

Hm, I've just tested my new desktop, 14 seconds...

Dell Dimension 9200
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
    4GB RAM 800MHz
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
    1X160 10Krpm HDD
    Vista Ultimate 32bt

Looking good! I like my desktop more and more everyday.
    1D MkIII, 5D MkII 16-200 2.8L, 35L, 50L, 135L
    View my flickr

yo bro how u been ahhahha...

so one simple question: 32bit OS (like win xp), put 4gb of ram, good or not? and if more?
    Haha been doing good! Yourself? You always seem so busy leh...

In response to your question: You can have 4GB of RAM in a 32bit OS without problems, just that the full 4GB wont be detected, only about 3.25GB (sometimes maybe less)... if you put more you won't see any difference as you've already maxed out on what the 32bit OS is capable of allocating to RAM.

Windows XP x64 Professional on the other hand is able to address up to 16TB (16384GB) of address space, which is why it doesn't bump into the same buffers as with Windows XP 32bit.

Haha been doing good! Yourself? You always seem so busy leh...

In response to your question: You can have 4GB of RAM in a 32bit OS without problems, just that the full 4GB wont be detected, only about 3.25GB (sometimes maybe less)... if you put more you won't see any difference as you've already maxed out on what the 32bit OS is capable of allocating to RAM.

Windows XP x64 Professional on the other hand is able to address up to 16TB (16384GB) of address space, which is why it doesn't bump into the same buffers as with Windows XP 32bit.
    Wah very free har...............hehe.

Check this TYAN MOBO.....I love tje way they stack the RAMs....using a memory riser.

http://www.tyan.com/product_board_detail.aspx?pid=439

Quote Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
    Hm, I've just tested my new desktop, 14 seconds...

Dell Dimension 9200
    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
    4GB RAM 800MHz
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS
    1X160 10Krpm HDD
    Vista Ultimate 32bt

Looking good! I like my desktop more and more everyday.
    Wah nice timing. Looks like everyone is clocking below the 20 seconds mark.

Now we would love to see someone do a OC on their MOBO to go where no man has gone before.......dipping below the 10 seconds barrier!

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    Wah nice timing. Looks like everyone is clocking below the 20 seconds mark.

Now we would love to see someone do a OC on their MOBO to go where no man has gone before.......dipping below the 10 seconds barrier!
    I'm already selling off my X6800 :pP ... Eyeing the QX6850 now.

I'm already selling off my X6800 P ... Eyeing the QX6850 now.
    Wah............QX6850 with OC..............below 10 seconds......????

Guess what? I manage to find the drivers for the silly wireless for my new system. Hehe....all thanks to PlanetAMD64!

So money not wasted! Wahaha........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12