Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: any 3rd party battery grip for d40x.?

  1. #1

    Default any 3rd party battery grip for d40x.?

    would like to know if there are any 3rd party grip for d40x. foresee myself using this small compact DSLR for quite a long time (at least until i start making money to get myself a better camera body, most probably 10 years later). i have been to comex and saw a small shop selling 3rd party camera grips, and very very cheap tripods. don't know if fellows CSers have seen it. but they didn't have a camera grip for the d40/d40x model. anybody knows where to get one.?

  2. #2
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: any 3rd party battery grip for d40x.?

    You can check in the Nikon sub-forum, but I dun see any point to use a grip on such a camera.

    Plus when using 3rd party products, you are risking damage to the camera and voiding the warranty, if such damage does occur.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  3. #3

    Default Re: any 3rd party battery grip for d40x.?

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    You can check in the Nikon sub-forum, but I dun see any point to use a grip on such a camera.

    Plus when using 3rd party products, you are risking damage to the camera and voiding the warranty, if such damage does occur.
    why do you think there's no point to use a grip on a d40x.? am interested to know. i believe it's dependant on the shooter's ability to stabilise himself when taking a portrait shot. in my case, i find it difficult to on my 55-200VR and SB600 set up.

  4. #4
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: any 3rd party battery grip for d40x.?

    Quote Originally Posted by joeyjoey View Post
    why do you think there's no point to use a grip on a d40x.? am interested to know. i believe it's dependant on the shooter's ability to stabilise himself when taking a portrait shot. in my case, i find it difficult to on my 55-200VR and SB600 set up.
    Coz it's a small camera, adding a grip adds to the bulk for a compact DSLR. If there's any reason for one, dun you think Nikon would have designed for one in the first place?
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  5. #5

    Default Re: any 3rd party battery grip for d40x.?

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Coz it's a small camera, adding a grip adds to the bulk for a compact DSLR. If there's any reason for one, dun you think Nikon would have designed for one in the first place?
    i believe nikon made the D40x for beginners like me. it is done on purpose to make the camera very limited (afs lens only, etc). that's how i feel.

  6. #6

    Default Re: any 3rd party battery grip for d40x.?

    someone bought one in hong kong.
    http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=317813

  7. #7
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: any 3rd party battery grip for d40x.?

    Quote Originally Posted by joeyjoey View Post
    i believe nikon made the D40x for beginners like me. it is done on purpose to make the camera very limited (afs lens only, etc). that's how i feel.
    Actually, it's more like to make it as low priced as possible, coz without a AF motor, they cut down quite a bit in size and cost.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  8. #8

    Default Re: any 3rd party battery grip for d40x.?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiGdUb View Post
    thanks for the reply.

  9. #9

    Default Re: any 3rd party battery grip for d40x.?

    Quote Originally Posted by joeyjoey View Post
    i believe nikon made the D40x for beginners like me. it is done on purpose to make the camera very limited (afs lens only, etc). that's how i feel.
    It's not to cripple it.. It's designed to make the camera light and easier to use.. What makes you feel that AF-S is limited? For all you know, Nikon is not going to make the screw drive AF lenses anymore.. Canon did that when they revamped their FD mount entirely to EF mount and you can't even mount FD lenses on EOS bodies without the use of an optical adapter. For Nikon, you can even use back the older lenses but just with some limitations.

    The D40 is targetted at people who are jumping into the DSLR bandwagon for the very first time, and do not own any existing gear, so AF-S should suffice. I am very impressed with the quality of the 18-55 lens which bundles with it!! That's my 2c.

    For those people with existing gears, Nikon didn't forget them. D200 can even meter with AiS lenses.
    Last edited by lsisaxon; 23rd October 2007 at 06:09 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •