Thread: Red Dragon

Default Red Dragon

Hi all, Im very new to photography and just got my first dslr, a 20d. Shot this in the garden a few days ago with a 600mm Sigma f8 mirror lense. Er.. its an odd choice for shooting close ups but i only have 2 lense which were passed down as im on a budget currently.

This little fella was in a position ive not seen before. Might be common, but to me, looked like a scorpions position. And he was lifting a leg up n down regularly. like a dog peeing. lol.

I cant seem to focus on the little guy's eyes no matter how i try. Image doesnt seem to be sharp.. Manual focus at around 2.5m away on tripod. and seems noisy. Any bros or sis have any experience with this lense? C&C welcome on colour composition and details. Im open to brutality.

Last edited by Exanimated; 8th October 2007 at 11:10 PM.

Default Re: Red Dragon

Hi, I think it is out of focus.

Member/Tangshooter

shutter speed too slow? add in soft focus type of effect?
    コミュニケーションは私たちの障壁です | Flickr

For mirror lenses, read this:-

http://www.photozone.de/3Technology/lenstec5.htm

The position that you so cannily described is called obelisking. As a DF breathes through its abdomen, the belief is that it helps the DF to reduce the exposure of its abdomen to the sun on a hot day (by pointing it upwards, towards the sun), therefore providing a cooling effect. A cooler abdomen draws in cooler air.

check your aperture settings, might be too open to capture the dof..
    unless your working distance is more than 2.5m? and also try manual metering?

Quote Originally Posted by carnage3630 View Post
    shutter speed too slow? add in soft focus type of effect?
    Shutter was 1/320. Think that was quite alright for a shot on tripod. im not sure wat u mean by add in soft focus type of effect.. Can elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumplestiltskin View Post
    For mirror lenses, read this:-

http://www.photozone.de/3Technology/lenstec5.htm

The position that you so cannily described is called obelisking. As a DF breathes through its abdomen, the belief is that it helps the DF to reduce the exposure of its abdomen to the sun on a hot day (by pointing it upwards, towards the sun), therefore providing a cooling effect. A cooler abdomen draws in cooler air.
    Thanks for the info on the DF and the mirror lens bro. Although the link mentions more on the odd doughnut bokeh, it did mention the mediocre sharpness of mirror lenses. What i experienced from shooting this pic was that i couldnt focus on the DF's head and what i saw on in the viewfinder was not the outcome of the pic. Viewfinder showed sharpness.
    Nudging the focus grip will only make the it more OOF. Question is, are mirror lenses or long ranged lenses harder to MF at close range shots?

Quote Originally Posted by sprintist View Post
    check your aperture settings, might be too open to capture the dof..
    unless your working distance is more than 2.5m? and also try manual metering?
    Bro, the lens cant adjust aperture.. Its fixed at f8. And this was sort of like a test also, to see how near i can get with this lens. Moreover, if i went further than 2.5m, the picture wouldnt be so close up, which i wanted the subject to be. Btw, how does one manual meter in this kind of shooting scenario? Thanks lots!

Quote Originally Posted by Exanimated View Post
    Bro, the lens cant adjust aperture.. Its fixed at f8. And this was sort of like a test also, to see how near i can get with this lens. Moreover, if i went further than 2.5m, the picture wouldnt be so close up, which i wanted the subject to be. Btw, how does one manual meter in this kind of shooting scenario? Thanks lots!
    metering perhaps you will need experience i guess. they have a 'standard' for a normal shoot say at iso 100 shutter 1/160 f8 for outdoor etc etc and you adjust from there.. cant rmb any of that but that is too subjective. for full manual metering i usually go by feel, cant help much on that sorry >.<

u using 600mm lens standing @ 2.5m away... i'm using 55-200mm already got problem with it... but most of my shots, i'm using 1/125 f11... mayb u can consider getting a macro lens..

but if u really wanna into macro, this thread should help u...

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=315215 <-- this thread is start by me..
    我只是個陌生人 =x