Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 163136394041424346 ... LastLast

Thread: LIVERPOOL F.C. You'll Never Walk Alone! season XIV

Default Re: LIVERPOOL F.C. You'll Never Walk Alone! season XIV

Torres resumes training. Alonso out for a month.

it never rain but pours.

Benitez boost as Torres returns to training

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez will wait until the last minute before deciding whether striker Fernando Torres can face Besiktas in Tuesday's Champions League clash at Anfield.

The Spanish star, fighting to overcome an adductor strain, trained Monday and will have another session on Tuesday.

But while Benitez admits to being 'very confident' that Torres can play in the vital Group A match, he has revealed that Xabi Alonso (metatarsal) will be out for a month.

Defender Daniel Agger is three weeks away from being available but Harry Kewell has had no reaction to his groin injury after two run outs as substitute in five days.

Meanwhile, Jamie Carragher insists Liverpool thrive on pressure as he prepares for the must-win Champions League clash with Turkish side Besiktas.

The teak-tough defender demands character from his colleagues, and believes the Reds are more than capable of defying the odds to win their last three Group A games, which would secure unlikely qualification for the last 16.

Carragher said: 'We should have pressure, that's what comes from playing for a big team.

'If the results don't go well, and it is same for Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United and all the big clubs around Europe, you are under pressure.

'But we want to be under pressure, because it is a big game, it is only what we expect.

'We have a lot of respect for Besiktas, they beat us in Turkey and played well. It was a great atmosphere and they did well, but we know we can put that right on our own pitch.

'Hopefully this will bring the best out of our squad. We have been in this position before and produced the goods then.

'This club is built on character, and we know we need that. We must start the game well and turn it into a great European night.'

Carragher added: 'Looking at the group table, we know it is not good, but I feel it will look a lot better after the game.

'It is a competition we have done really well in, so we are scratching our heads a bit to understand what has gone wrong this season.

'Maybe it was because we started so badly in the first 20 minutes of the opening game in Porto, then we had a man sent off and conceded a penalty.

'It wasn't a great start although the draw was a good result in the circumstances. Then we played really badly in losing at home to Marseille and they got an amazing goal near the end and we didn't recover.

'Away to Besiktas, we were unfortunate. We had so many chances. But that is the way it goes.

'It is right that people expected us to breeze through this group considering how well we had done in the last few years.

'But it is never as easy as that. This is the Champions League and anyone can beat even the best - that has been proved over these first three games.

'There's nothing wrong with our confidence, we have only lost a couple of games this season. But we have not played that well, and that has got to change now.'

Carragher maintains that people have had every right to be critical of Liverpool this term, saying: 'We expect criticism if we don't do well. We are Liverpool, we are expected to win and when we don't then we know people will have their say. What's different about that?

'We are English football's most successful side in Europe, we expect people to have a go at us if our standards drop. That is when you realise you are playing for a special club.

'One good result and we will be on a run again. People always write us off but it never bothers me, it is part of playing for a big club.

'There's always one time a season when all hell breaks lose. In the manager's first season, it was when we lost to Burnley in the (FA) Cup. The following season it came after a defeat at Crystal Palace in the Carling Cup.

'Last season, it was when we lost to Arsenal twice in a week. Everyone was going nuts but it wasn't long before we were all back to normal.'
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Wigan's Chris Hutchings has become the latest EPL casualty. The 4th after Moanrinho, Sammy Lee and Martin Jol.

Benitez relaxed over Reds future

Champions League, Group A
    Date: Tuesday, 6 November
    Kick-off: 1945 GMT
    Venue: Anfield

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez says his job is safe despite the Reds battling to stay in the Champions League and a slow start to their domestic season.

Liverpool are bottom of their Champions League group, having picked up just one point in three games, and seventh in the Premier League.

Benitez insisted Liverpool's owners are remaining "very, very positive".

"I felt they are really focused and supporting so I think the future is great," he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

If the Reds lose at home to Besiktas on Tuesday, the 2005 European champions will almost certainly be out of the competition.

Defeat would also leave them in danger of missing out on the Uefa Cup spot available to sides who finish third in their Champions League groups.

Despite the cloud hanging over Liverpool's current form, Benitez pointed to the club's European exploits in recent years.

"Tell me how teams can be in two finals in the Champions League in three years?" he said, insisting co-owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks share his vision for the club's future.

"They must be pleased with the way the team and the club is going because we are changing a lot of things and I think we are progressing."

And Benitez dismissed suggestions that an early exit from the Champions League this year would cost the club between 17m and 20m.

"That is the money only the finalists get and only two clubs can do that," he said.

"The financial implications in losing are not as big as people suggest.

"But we must think about football first and not to be bothered by other things - that will be taken care of later.

"I have talked to the owners, but not about money, just our ideas for the future."

Defender Jamie Carragher has revealed he feels "it is not a disaster" if Liverpool do not reach the next stage of the competition.

"We can't win all the time," he said. "We have a good record in the Champions League and will look to keep that going.

"We do still want to be in the Champions League. But if it doesn't happen we just have to get on with it."

Quote Originally Posted by zhapchit View Post
    Wigan's Chris Hutchings has become the latest EPL casualty. The 4th after Moanrinho, Sammy Lee and Martin Jol.
    ya

wonder if rafa is next?

BENITEZ DISMISSES MONEY WORRIES

Rafael Benitez has dismissed the financial implications should Liverpool fail in the Champions League and called for passion and cool heads from his players in the make-or-break showdown with Besiktas.

If Liverpool lose on Tuesday at Anfield their chances of qualifying from Group A for the knockout stages will have gone.

Should they win they will have to beat Porto at Anfield at the end of the month and then go to Marseille in December and win again to be sure of fulfilling their qualification dreams.

That is the massive task facing boss Benitez and his side, with failure casting a giant shadow over a club who have enjoyed two Champions League finals in the past three years.

But suggestions that Liverpool's demise would cost the club between 17m and 20m and influence owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks over future decisions is not something Benitez claims to be worried about.

With striker Fernando Torres likely to return after a adductor strain, Benitez insists he is not under pressure and has great confidence that his recently maligned squad can keep the dream alive.

He says: "I am surprised by talk of money. I am being told we will lose 17 to 20m, but that is the money only the finalists get and only two clubs can do that.

"We are planning to build a stadium costing 400m, so if we lose some money now it will be only 10m one way or the other.

"That is the difference but don't forget what we have made in two runs to the final."

Benitez revealed he has had recent talks with the American owners but that money was never the issue, only the future direction of the club.

Liverpool will get the go-ahead on Tuesday from city planners for the revised Stanley Park stadium scheme and hope by the end of the day to also have a European triumph to celebrate.

Benitez said: "The owners must be pleased with the way the team and the club is going, we are changing a lot of things.

"There is progress. Maybe the problem is that when they arrived at the club we were beating Arsenal and then Barcelona, and then Chelsea. Maybe they thought it was easy and we could always be in a final, especially as we were then in another final, our second in three seasons.

"Tell me how many teams have done that. They know what can be achieved and we have had a positive meeting about the future. They are focused and supportive and they know the future can be great and could be brilliant.

"People have said I have 25m (to spend in January), or 20m or someone said none at all. I don't know, but when we talked to the owners about the future we were not talking about money."

He added: "The financial implications in losing are not as big as people suggest. But we must think about football first and not to be bothered by other things - that will be taken care of later.

"I have talked to the owners, but not about money, just our ideas for the future.

"For the financial situation we know that if we win we progress, but we have been in two Champions League finals in three years so clearly the problem is not money.

"If we do not win this game, we will talk about money then. But more important is the way we play and how we score the goals to win.

"As a top side you want to win and that is the pressure. You must win to improve and that is the aim and real pressure."

Benitez has revealed that Xabi Alonso will be out for a further month with another metatarsal injury suffered in a physical clash with Arsenal last weekend.

And he said of the clash with the Turkish side: "Now we need to play with our head as well as our hearts against Besiktas this time.

"We always have passion, but we want to keep that and still do the right things. You cannot all charge forward, you need a cool head as well as passion.

"That is the difference between the very top players and the rest. They have passion and a cool mind."

Benitez once again looks to skipper Steven Gerrard to lead Liverpool away from disaster after the shattering defeat by Besiktas in Istanbul last month which left Liverpool bottom of their group with just one point from three games.

He added: "We have not been at our best in Europe but people were saying we were better in Besiktas and Steven Gerrard was better.

"He can be contagious, that is positive. We have different players back from injuries and in a few weeks everyone will be fit again - Torres, Alonso, Agger - it is only a matter of three weeks or so now."

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post

I hope Rafa dun risk Torres again. Let him fully recover please.
    We didnt spend so much money to see him on the treatment table.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I hope Rafa dun risk Torres again. Let him fully recover please.
    We didnt spend so much money to see him on the treatment table.
    yeaps. dun think he'll risk him but hey, he's rafa for a reason which is beyond us.

I guess Torres will be playing but probably not the full match.

I hope Rafa plays this lineup tonight....

Crouch...Torres
    Babel...Gerrald...Mascarano...Banayoun
    Risse...Hyppia...Carragher...Finnan
    Reina

i would go for this

Crouch...Torres
    Gerrard
    Riise...Benayoun...Mascherano...Finnan
    Arbeloa...Hyppia...Carragher
    Reina

Member/Tangshooter

Quote Originally Posted by CHARBY View Post
    I hope Rafa plays this lineup tonight....

Crouch...Torres
    Babel...Gerrald...Mascarano...Banayoun
    Risse...Hyppia...Carragher...Finnan
    Reina
    Wah Bro..i tot i see models formation?
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

I dun care what formation liao lah
    Just win and win BIG

Member/Tangshooter

Just win and win BIG
    ZAI LAHZ..tonite all on Liverpool and Benfica!!!
    This is an electronic post which requires no signature.

Just win and win BIG
    most straight to the point.

Whats the score? Draw ah ?

Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er View Post
    Whats the score? Draw ah ?
    choi!!

tonight we will hantum besiktas.

Let's get ready to GUESS GUESS GUESS!

Correct Score Prediction = 3points!

Correct 1st Scorer for LFC = 1point!

Correct Last Scorer for LFC = 1point!

Hat-Trick Hero Perfect Guess Guess Guess! = 5points!

so in any game, the max point a participant can net is a total of 10points.

Sorting Out the Grey Areas.

1). in the event of 1-0 end result, the 1st scorer will be taken as the last scorer even though the participant might haf anticipated 2-0 or 22-0 and haf listed someone else as the last scorer.

2). the prediction is good till the Final Whistle, which includes Extra-time but not Penalty Shootout.

Current standings:

1) roadrunner 12 points
    2) Cheesecake 12 points
    3) jfoo 10 points
    4) kelccm 5 points
    5) dfstan 6 points
    6) grumpy 5 points
    7) xen0275 4 points
    8) roDz 3 points
    9) airfins 3 points
    10) estronutz 3 points
    11) blazer_works 3 points
    12) zhapchit 3 points
    13). canew 2 point
    14). dnd 1 point

06 Nov, 2007
    Champions League Group Phase
    LIVERPOOL vs. besiktas (ANFIELD!!!!)
    19:45hrs

update to be posted as they arrive.

1). 3-0 LIVERPOOL win (1st Gerrard Last Gerrard) cheesecake
    2.) 4-0 Liverpool Win (1st babel, last kuyt) blazer_workz

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake View Post
    choi!!

tonight we will hantum besiktas.
    I forgot the game is tonite

Rafa now has to attack attack and leave holes in defense ?

Let's get ready to GUESS GUESS GUESS!

Correct Score Prediction = 3points!

Correct 1st Scorer for LFC = 1point!

Correct Last Scorer for LFC = 1point!

Hat-Trick Hero Perfect Guess Guess Guess! = 5points!

so in any game, the max point a participant can net is a total of 10points.

Sorting Out the Grey Areas.

1). in the event of 1-0 end result, the 1st scorer will be taken as the last scorer even though the participant might haf anticipated 2-0 or 22-0 and haf listed someone else as the last scorer.

2). the prediction is good till the Final Whistle, which includes Extra-time but not Penalty Shootout.

Current standings:

1) roadrunner 12 points
    2) Cheesecake 12 points
    3) jfoo 10 points
    4) kelccm 5 points
    5) dfstan 6 points
    6) grumpy 5 points
    7) xen0275 4 points
    8) roDz 3 points
    9) airfins 3 points
    10) estronutz 3 points
    11) blazer_works 3 points
    12) zhapchit 3 points
    13). canew 2 point
    14). dnd 1 point

06 Nov, 2007
    Champions League Group Phase
    LIVERPOOL vs. besiktas (ANFIELD!!!!)
    19:45hrs

update to be posted as they arrive.

1). 3-0 LIVERPOOL win (1st Gerrard Last Gerrard) cheesecake
    2). 4-0 Liverpool Win (1st babel, last kuyt) blazer_workz
    3). 5-1 Liverpool win (1st Crouch last Hyypia) kelccm
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Quote Originally Posted by jeff49er View Post
    I forgot the game is tonite

Rafa now has to attack attack and leave holes in defense ?
    its oni natural.

anyway, we're not that good anymore.

Page 41 of 49 FirstFirst ... 163136394041424346 ... LastLast