Thread: Please Help. How do you......

Default Please Help. How do you......

Calibrate your printer (Canon) to print photos as like those seen on your LCD.

Hi all. I presently use Gretagmacbeth monitor Display Calibrator to calibrate my 19'' LCD monitor for photo editing. But I still can't seems to get my Canon i990 printer to print my photos in the same brightness or color as seen on my LCD.

I know that I have to Calibrate.... or adjust my printer's driver. But can't seems to find the place to do it.

Could anyone here please help by giving me some information.... thxs

Scuba & Father... For Life

Default Re: Please Help. How do you......

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    Calibrate your printer (Canon) to print photos as like those seen on your LCD.

Hi all. I presently use Gretagmacbeth monitor Display Calibrator to calibrate my 19'' LCD monitor for photo editing. But I still can't seems to get my Canon i990 printer to print my photos in the same brightness or color as seen on my LCD.

I know that I have to Calibrate.... or adjust my printer's driver. But can't seems to find the place to do it.

Could anyone here please help by giving me some information.... thxs
    You'll need a print calibrator. Or someone using the same printer and paper and has a profile.
    http://www.xrite.com/product_overview.aspx?ID=791
    http://www.colorvision.com/product-pp-pfp.php

Thxs for the info.....

Wow.... but both product is very $$$$

Thxs anyway.

I do it the old-fashioned way. Make sure you are prepared to use up your paper and ink

I find that you only really need to do print calibration if you're using 3rd party papers. I take note of the paper type, and print one copy at the default settings. I note how it is different from the screen, and then adjust the printer driver settings, i.e. saturation, contrast, brightness, colour balance etc. to try to get it to match. Take notes and don't adjust too many variables at the same time. Print, rinse and repeat until you're happy with the results. It also helps if your printer driver allows you to save customised settings or profiles.

I do that with all the papers I use and I have a little spreadsheet of the settings used for each brand and type of paper handy beside my PC.

Monitor and printer are different. On your LCD you can control your saturation, contrast, brightness, colour balance and etc. But to print out a good photo you need a good printer and photo paper which it do not come cheap.

For photo paper the max. brightness you can get is the white photo paper itself before it was printed, for the contrast and darkness which will be done by the printer.

you need to buy the proper photo paper to get the right job. Below is some of the Canon's photo paper's specification:

Paper ISO Brightness
    _______________ ____________

Photo Paper Pro 88

Photo Paper Plus 92
    Glossy

Matte Photo Paper 108

Glossy Photo Paper 99

Photo Paper Plus 91
    semi-gloss

From above, Photo Paper Pro give the lowest brightness and the Matte Photo Paper give you the hightest value. I had tried the both paper, the Matte Photo Paper MP-101 produce the best contrast by using the same printer Canon PIXMA ip4200.

In the black & white film dark room, in order to produce the correct photo, different photo paper have to be used, it range from soft to hard. For example if the negative is too soft, then we have to a hard photo paper to correct the softness.

Currently, the correction of digital photo can be done by software/camera, but for printout, the only options are above.

Thxs for all the advise..... hope I could solve my printer problem soon. Thxs again