Thread: Which equipment to bring?

Default Which equipment to bring?

Hey guys? I've got a society gathering coming up this friday? Need to snap some candid shots and potrait photographs...Got to ask u guys ard here...i intend to bring my Canon 50 F1.8 lens, Canon 70-200mm F4 L lens and my 580exII flash to go with my 400d...This is my 1st outing shot...need to build up some confidence...am i bringing the right equipment? Other lens i have are the 400d kit lens 18-55mm and Canon 17-40mm L usm lens...The venue of my photography is a ballroom... hope u guys can help me out...hehe

Default Re: Which equipment to bring?

Me no expert..... but suggest ur 50mm f1.8, 17-40mm L..... don't feel that your 70-200mm L would be of much use in a Ballroom..... unless planning to take photos of ppl on stage......

Anyone else have some other suggestion ??

Scuba & Father... For Life

Right equipment? Pardon me saying but the right equipment are the ones that get the pictures you want. If you are unable to decide, bring the 17-40, 50 and 70-200. Each of them has their own characteristics and the gathering should provide you with a chance to find out their effects/purposes in a ballroom setting. What's more, you will also find out which lenses get used more and if there is a similar setting in future, you will know what not to bring.

Just my $0.02.

Indoor ballroom? 50mm and 17-40mm with your flash will do
    Canon 5D mkII|24-105 F4 IS L|70-200 F4 IS L|135 F2 L|580EX|

Bring full battle order...

I mean serious... What others recommend you are the lens / equipment they are comfortable of using for the situation... You need to find out what are the equipment YOU are comfortable with.
    I am NOT a PROfessional photographer and photography is NOT my hobby

i will also bring everything... except that 18-55 kit lens.. since there's 17-40
    Canon 400D + 50L - Everyone was once a Noob

Flash must bring,50mm + 17-40L should be enough

Just bring everything, haha. At least you will anything lacking. Next time you will know what are the equipments you will use.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

Bring what you are comfortable with.
    make sure you got enough memory and batteries too!

50mm and flash is important. Very nice potrait with this lens. 70-200 for candid long shots for more natural feel. Some people are camera shy.. when you point your 50mm at them, becomes un-natural.

For me, i always use 50mm and my faithful 18-200mm.

I dunno if 400D got good noise control. If you can shot at iso 1600 and above, minimized the flash for better ambience.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsun View Post
    Flash must bring,50mm + 17-40L should be enough
    In additional to Redsun's recommendation, bring additional 1 to 2 pcs of battery for your camera, and at least 3 to 5 GB of CF cards. You still have enough time to buy them now.

I agree with full battle order. Recently I went to a wedding dinner with a 50mm 1.8, 18-200mm 4-5.6, a weak battery and no flash. I didn't expect to be a secondary photgrapher u see. I expect to take for fun. Tell you, i just loose all my confidence almost immediately when they ask me to me the secondary photographer.

After a while, u will know what u want after a while. Now I know I just need these two lens and probably my flash and wide angle lens, and I'll be good to go.

If you have a 300mm lens, bring it as well. Like I said: full battle order. I shoot church photography with 300mm when the situation calls for it.